Hi everyone,

I am looking to do a device wipe as I am not happy with a couple of quirks in contacts unlinking and SMS pertaining to voicemail messages in some odd looking group message between "voicemail" and "8"...

So I have backed up, and looked at restore options, they are...

Application Data
    Media
    Settings

I assume a restore of Application Data and Media will not restore contacts, SMS and messages etc?

Can anyone clear this up for me?

It's certainly not as granular as Desktop Manager was.
    07-15-13 06:19 AM
    You are correct its not nearly as good as DM was.

As for the application data I think that is just your apps/games and dont think that messges, sms and contacts are included but maybe someone else knows for sure.
    07-15-13 07:36 AM
    Hi everyone,

I am looking to do a device wipe as I am not happy with a couple of quirks in contacts unlinking and SMS pertaining to voicemail messages in some odd looking group message between "voicemail" and "8"...

So I have backed up, and looked at restore options, they are...

Application Data
    Media
    Settings

I assume a restore of Application Data and Media will not restore contacts, SMS and messages etc?

Can anyone clear this up for me?

It's certainly not as granular as Desktop Manager was.

You could find out some information that I've just been pointing out to me under the BlackBerry Cummunity
    App Data - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

A BlackBerry Link backup contains 3 different types of databases. Application data, Media, and Settings.

The Application Data will contain data tied to applications such as saved game data, local PIM data such as contacts and calendar data (which is locally stored on the BlackBerry, not synchronized over the air), and notes in the Remember application.

The Media will contain a backup of all the pictures, video and music stored locally on your BlackBerry (does not include the SD card).

Settings contains general BlackBerry settings such as UI settings, notifications and email accounts.

To answer your question; no you cannot open the backup file and restore specific data such as the Remember application data or saved games as they are all part of the Application Data database. However you can select to only restore the Application Data from the backup and omit the Media and Settings if you wish.

This didn't mentionned the information's that I need. i.e. under which section we should found:
    - phone call history (phone Call log)
    - SMS/MMS
    - BBM discussions history
    And/Or:
    If there is a way to extract them using a different approach or 3rd party apps?
    07-18-13 01:53 PM
    You could find out some information that I've just been pointing out to me under the BlackBerry Cummunity
    App Data - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

A BlackBerry Link backup contains 3 different types of databases. Application data, Media, and Settings.

The Application Data will contain data tied to applications such as saved game data, local PIM data such as contacts and calendar data (which is locally stored on the BlackBerry, not synchronized over the air), and notes in the Remember application.

The Media will contain a backup of all the pictures, video and music stored locally on your BlackBerry (does not include the SD card).

Settings contains general BlackBerry settings such as UI settings, notifications and email accounts.

To answer your question; no you cannot open the backup file and restore specific data such as the Remember application data or saved games as they are all part of the Application Data database. However you can select to only restore the Application Data from the backup and omit the Media and Settings if you wish.

This didn't mentionned the information's that I need. i.e. under which section we should found:
    - phone call history (phone Call log)
    - SMS/MMS
    - BBM discussions history
    And/Or:
    If there is a way to extract them using a different approach or 3rd party apps?

Here's what I get back from a partial Backup "Setting" Restore from BlackBerry Link, as I had to do only a partial restore from a complete backup files.

- All your "Accounts setting"; email, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Evernote...
    Note that you will need to enter back your various account password
    - All your various "Settings": regional setting, network connections, Notification setup, Display setup, language and input setups, alarm setting, ...
    - The phone calls history (call log)
    - The various Text Messages (SMS/MMS)
    - Under Remember, all your local Notes
    - All your "Local Contacts", + obviously contact on your SIM
    - Your Favorites under "Maps" (no recents)
    - Your keyboard predictive words also look to be back

- Not sure if it come with the restore or with your BlackBerry ID, but once you instal back "Password Keeper" all your datas are still there, still protected thru your password previously set.

What you don't get:
    - Any "Weather" settings
    - No "Search " history
    - No BBM chat (but your contacts came back with BlackBerry ID)
    - No "Calendar " entries
    - No "Browser" Setting and/or favorites

Hope this will help

Done with:
    BlackBerry OS10.1.0.273
    BlackBerry Link 1.1.1.32 under Windows 7
    07-19-13 02:02 PM
    Great info! Thanks! However, how does one restore Password Keeper passwords?

Application Data did a great job in making quick work in setting back up my device, but Password Keeper and Remember entries didn't seem to make the cut?

Any advice?

TIA

C-T
    11-18-13 08:46 PM
    I got my Password Keeper accounts back by doing the Settings partial restore from BlackBerry link.

I need to try the media restore to recover some missing camera pictures....does anyone know if this will overwrite any newer images in the device since my last backup set?
    Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 10:45 PM
    I got my Password Keeper accounts back by doing the Settings partial restore from BlackBerry link.

I need to try the media restore to recover some missing camera pictures....does anyone know if this will overwrite any newer images in the device since my last backup set?
    Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    I would suggest manually backing up any newer images just in case the numbering repeats or restarts and images might have the same number.
    11-19-13 12:58 AM
    Application Data did a great job in making quick work in setting back up my device, but Password Keeper and Remember entries didn't seem to make the cut?

Any advice?
    C-T
    Fire Chest Backup will take care of Remember entries. It's free in BB World.
    11-19-13 10:19 AM
    I would suggest manually backing up any newer images just in case the numbering repeats or restarts and images might have the same number.
    OK, I performed the Media restore lastnight....got back my missing images and it did not wipe any of the newer ones on the device memory since the backup set was made. However, this does not recover media stored in the SD card apoarently.
    Also, since I had already copied many of my image files off the pc to the phone, some of which were also inside the restored backup set, u now gave quite a few duplicates images when viewing Pictures in the phone.
    Any tips on how to delete the duplicates?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 05:42 PM
    Unfortunately, dupes happen with backup restore unless you are meticulous and even then.....

If you can access to storage (internal or sd card) using a computer where they show up as drives, you might find a computer utility that can screen for dupes.
    11-20-13 12:22 AM
    Good suggestion. Yes, I'll access the files on phone as a mapped drive from my pc....a judicious use of Windows File Explorer's sort function should make the rest of the process easy.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 04:40 PM
    My opinion go for fire chest app. it will work amazing in everything you need and with link in settings backup you will recover password keeper
    11-20-13 05:37 PM
    Fire chest is recommended often. Remember that the free version will backup your contacts, calendar and more into the cloud.
    If you are not a 00, or don't care you will be ok.
    It does have the option to encrypt, but I wouldn't know how good it is.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 06:29 PM