Hi,

I use the Z10 in job role involving sensitive data and something that has always puzzled me is the 10 incorrect passwords to trigger a device wipe. In the past, when I've wiped a blackberry it's often taken time to complete the process (sometimes 30 minutes).

So wouldn't it stand to reason that if your phone is stolen and the person who stole it reaches 10 incorrect passwords and triggers a device wipe they could immediately pull the battery out? My thinking is the data is still there?

Another scenario, if the device is stolen and we login to Blackberry Protect and trigger a device wipe, couldn't they just pull the battery before the process completes? I guess my confusion is if the device is stolen the person is unlikely to allow the device wipe to proceed if they are after the information rather than the phone.

Cheers
    Mitch
    11-09-13 05:20 AM
    If they pull the battery how do they get the information? As soon as the battery goes in and it's turned on it will continue the process.
    sedalia066 likes this.
    11-09-13 05:39 AM
    Yes, once the wipe is initiated, it will continue once the battery is replaced.
    sedalia066 likes this.
    11-09-13 05:40 AM
    Interesting. If the process just continues why do they insist you shouldn't interrupt the process?

Also, if the data is still there my thinking is it's just a problem to be overcome. I'm not really talking about street thugs but highly technical people and perhaps even law enforcement.
    11-09-13 06:02 AM
    Interesting. If the process just continues why do they insist you shouldn't interrupt the process?

Also, if the data is still there my thinking is it's just a problem to be overcome. I'm not really talking about street thugs but highly technical people and perhaps even law enforcement.
    The process may continue or may brick your phone. That is why the warning.

Data may still be there but with a phone that will either delete itself on startup or will not startup at all. How do you get the data?

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 06:13 AM
    Right.

But are you saying that even in the hands of a law enforcement agency, they could not access the data?

What about RIM themselves?

Are we saying here that once the wipe process is initiated it's "impossible" to get the data, or with enough money and unique skills is it still possible?
    11-24-13 05:11 AM
    You can get a brick device, and the idea is that you can deleted the data, also, if a someone steal your device, and had to enter a password it would not enter, and in case you have big period of time before that password is activated,as soon he take the battery and sim card and then battery again it will prompt blackberry ID

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 06:40 AM
    Pure speculation - who knows what highly technical experts are capable of doing. I guess if the phone were broken down into parts, are there parts where the data exists which can be separately broken into without triggering power to the "wipe circuit" (for want of a better term?)

There's already enough stuff to lose sleep over but if your data is very sensitive, I guess you need to know it really is protected.
    11-24-13 10:17 AM