Hi guyz,

I need help to understand what i've done, and what can i do to save files if possible.
    here's the history of things done:
    - install 10.2.1.2234OS
    - encripted device and media card (forgot i've done this)
    - took some nice weekend photos
    - after some time i decided to try 10.2.1.2273OS and intalled it with autoloader. After reboot i got message i need to format media card. Obviously i felt like a looser. But, i was able to transfer all content from sd card to pc along with .crypt_keystore, .system_crypt_file, .checkprop and .prog.os (dunno what are all those).
    - so i have formated media card and wipped everything on it.

Now, i've moved files from pc to sd card and done encryption again. z10 said file encriptyopn starting in 5min. i cant remember why, but i rebooted phone before it began. Then i got stuck on 99% boot screen and that was like 4-5 hours job. i gave up.

i said goodby to pictures but it seems, after research, that eventualy i can restore those files using same sd and same phone os.
    it's 10.2.1.2941 now, but i'm willing to try again.

now i need someone to back me up with info what and how to try to restore sd:
    to do sd encrypt, move files from pc to sd, then decript?
    or,
    first to move files then encript/decrypt or what?
    damn confusing

thanx
    05-23-14 07:07 PM
    now i need someone to back me up with info what and how to try to restore sd:
    to do sd encrypt, move files from pc to sd, then decript?
    or,
    first to move files then encript/decrypt or what?
    damn confusing
    I’m not sure if I understand your questions, but I don’t think it is possible to recover encrypted data on an SD card, if that is what you are trying to do. As long as you don’t restore the OS on your device, you should be able to access any SD card you encrypted with that device (similar to your device’s hard drive). I assume that’s because the encryption key is stored on your device, which means that if you wipe the OS, that key will be lost. I gather from your post that you were unable to access the files after the update, which suggests that your device probably doesn’t have the key anymore.
    05-23-14 07:36 PM
    Unfortunately, I think Eitot is correct. I don't think you can restore or retrieve the files. The encryption key was lost when the OS was updated. It is definitely one of the weaknesses of encrypting the card. For instance, the phone for some reason dies, the files on the card would not be able to be used on a new, replacement phone.
    southlander likes this.
    05-23-14 08:55 PM
    F2 is correct, No you can't, encrypt go with the os etc.. that cannot be decrypt sorry

Posted via CB10/O.S.10.2.1.2228
    05-24-14 12:27 AM
    damn, i was hoping there's some way to save sd content
    thanks for reply
    05-24-14 10:28 PM
    Nope none zero bummer. You MUST decrypt first. Don't forget next time. BlackBerry's security is top notch.

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.296/442
    05-25-14 05:46 AM
    There ought to be some REAL, CLEAR warnings on what encrypting the SDcard means. What are the limitations if things go bump-in-the-night. That folks should keep good backups of the contents. As noted, if the original phone dies, the card canNOT be unencrypted and used in a new phone. If the OS is updates same problems (are we sure there is not some other issue here?). Card/contents cannot be used in another device unless UNencrypted.

Of course there OUGHT to be lots of things in life that aren't!!!
    05-25-14 09:43 AM
    There ought to be some REAL, CLEAR warnings on what encrypting the SDcard means. What are the limitations if things go bump-in-the-night. That folks should keep good backups of the contents. As noted, if the original phone dies, the card canNOT be unencrypted and used in a new phone. If the OS is updates same problems (are we sure there is not some other issue here?). Card/contents cannot be used in another device unless UNencrypted.

Of course there OUGHT to be lots of things in life that aren't!!!
    F2, I guess you failed to READ the real clear warnings in the USER MANUAL that came with the phone. You can only be mad at yourself.

05-25-14 01:10 PM
    I think there should at least be a recommendation in that settings pane to make regular backups, it wouldn’t hurt. Using encryption is always risky without backups, as data corruption does happen. But other than that, it has to be said that the OP used the autoloader at own risk. BlackBerry does not divulge those to consumers and only recommends using the regular channels to update and restore the OS.
    05-25-14 01:42 PM
    F2, I guess you failed to READ the real clear warnings in the USER MANUAL that came with the phone. You can only be mad at yourself.

Well, it is not my encrypted card. But maybe I have the wrong manual (pdf) but I did not find anything about encryption in it. Got a link?

Ah, found a newer pdf file. That warning should be MORE prominent!
    05-25-14 02:21 PM
    It's okay. I too lost all my pictures, videos, and music when I forgot to decrypt. You can cry with me.

Two years worth of data down the drain.

BlackBerry Z10 | 10.3.0.296
    05-26-14 09:02 PM
    I just don't get why people don't have two years' worth of precious data backed up elsewhere. It doesn't even have to be an encryption matter. I mean you could lose your phone or it could be stolen. There goes your card and all its data.
    buwee likes this.
    05-26-14 09:32 PM
    I just don't get why people don't have two years' worth of precious data backed up elsewhere. It doesn't even have to be an encryption matter. I mean you could lose your phone or it could be stolen. There goes your card and all its data.
    I had it backed up on my laptop, then my laptop broke. So I took extra care of my phone, and boom, all this stuff gets lost anyway.

05-26-14 09:33 PM
    Both broke at the same time? Comeon. Human error. More likely the laptop failed, and you didn't make another backup. I have my sd card, the data of which is backed up on my laptop and on DVD's. What's so hard about that?
    05-26-14 09:40 PM
    It's not about the backup. It's about the encrypted files which ceased to work after I loaded up 10.3 without decrypting them. Even if I did have a backup, they wouldn't be viewable.

05-26-14 09:42 PM
    It's not about the backup. It's about the encrypted files which ceased to work after I loaded up 10.3 without decrypting them. Even if I did have a backup, they wouldn't be viewable.
    The files you keep at home should not be encrypted by your BlackBerry. That way they're viewable (not lost) and you can just reload them on your BlackBerry, sd card, or replacement(s) and re-encrypt them. The files on my laptop are protected by my laptop's hard drive password. The ones that are on my DVD's are encrypted with another encryption program (TrueCrypt).
    05-26-14 09:47 PM
    The files you keep at home should not be encrypted by your BlackBerry. That way they're viewable (not lost) and you can just reload them on your BlackBerry, sd card, or replacement(s) and re-encrypt them. The files on my laptop are protected by my laptop's hard drive password. The ones that are on my DVD's are encrypted with another encryption program (TrueCrypt).
    Don't you encrypt your laptop though?
    05-26-14 09:51 PM
    Don't you encrypt your laptop though?
    I could, but I don't. The hdd password is enough for me. Someone would have to take the hdd out, bring it to a forensics lab, disassemble it, and read the data directly from the platters. (That's unlikely to happen ... at least to me.)
    05-26-14 09:55 PM
    I could, but I don't. The hdd password is enough for me. Someone would have to take the hdd out, bring it to a forensics lab, and read the data directly from the platters. (That's unlikely to happen ... at least to me.)
    Wouldn't it be enough to just connect that hard drive to another PC? I was able to mount my old MacBook hard drive without any problems, hence I encrypt my hard drive using OS X FileVault.
    05-26-14 09:58 PM
    Wouldn't it be enough to just connect that hard drive to another PC? I was able to mount my old MacBook hard drive without any problems, hence I encrypt my hard drive using OS X FileVault.
    No, my hdd has it's own password which has to be entered before the OS will even boot or before it comes out of hibernation.
    05-26-14 10:02 PM
    There are backup utilities in BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    05-27-14 09:17 PM
    I get that there are back up software and everyone should be diligent about backing up, but stuff happens. why there isn't an easy way to get encrypted files back is foolish.

I was travelling and my SD card was getting full, so I moved a bunch of files from my card to my laptop. I didn't have the usb cable so I inserted my card into my laptop, and moved the files. I still have my z10, i still have the memory card, and I still have the files. Now my z10 will not recognize the files.
    05-29-14 09:48 AM
    why there isn't an easy way to get encrypted files back is foolish.
    I think BlackBerry is only insofar foolish as to make the encryption so dependent on the hardware. When I enable encryption on my Mac, I get a unique master password that allows me to decrypt the hard drive in case the encryption key is lost. Why BlackBerry 10 does not have something similar is indeed a bit weird. But at least we can be assured that the files are pretty much inaccessible without access to the phone on which the files were encrypted.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-29-14 09:58 AM
    ... I was travelling and my SD card was getting full, so I moved a bunch of files from my card to my laptop. I didn't have the usb cable so I inserted my card into my laptop, and moved the files. I still have my z10, i still have the memory card, and I still have the files. Now my z10 will not recognize the files.
    That's not the proper way to transfer encrypted files. It has never worked that way on any BlackBerry os, nor is it supposed to.

The proper and most efficient way to transfer encrypted files from your Z10 to your computer is by plugging it in with a USB cable and using Link. When you do that, the files will not be encrypted once they are on your computer; you'll be able to view them on your computer. They will be re-encrypted if you should ever move them back to the Z10 using the same method.
    05-29-14 09:59 AM
    I get that there are back up software and everyone should be diligent about backing up, but stuff happens. why there isn't an easy way to get encrypted files back is foolish.

I was travelling and my SD card was getting full, so I moved a bunch of files from my card to my laptop. I didn't have the usb cable so I inserted my card into my laptop, and moved the files. I still have my z10, i still have the memory card, and I still have the files. Now my z10 will not recognize the files.

How did you charge your phone? Not having the USB cable is a pretty lame excuse and since you had the Micro SD adapter, I find this story to be less believable than Sasquatch.

Of course the Z10 does not recognize the files, they were encrypted using a key that is no longer available.
    05-29-14 10:00 AM
29 12