Hi,

I recently bought a second hand Z10. I am still a new user to the Z10 and Blackberry 10 OS. I am a curious iPhone user. I am struggling a bit with the Z10. It does have its quirks but so did the iPhone when I first used it, but overall it has been a good experience.

So I work out on a fairly regular basis with my music. I have the Sports Tracker app installed on the Z10. I went for a run today and noticed that sometimes apps in the background close unexpectedly. I'd like to have both the Music app and the Sports Tracker app running simultaneously. If I am inside the Music app or the Sports Tracker app and I turn off the screen and keep on my running workout, the app that was not open before I turned off my screen suddenly shuts off.

I noticed though that I would have to navigate to the screen where I see the 4 windows for apps not to close unexpectedly. This seems to be the only way to make OS 10 not close anything. Am I right about that?

Thanks.
    05-20-13 12:42 PM
    I just did and test. Without actually doing my workout, and neither the music player or sports tracker closed on me when locking the screen. Reboot then try again?

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 12:51 PM
    Hey there and welcome to CB.

I've used Sports Tracker and the Music app simultaneously recently and all worked well. I've also recently used Endomondo with the Music app and all worked well.

Could you elaborate a little more.
    05-20-13 12:54 PM
    Sorry, i know this isnt what you're asking for but I think it's kind of strange to go running with a huge smartphone either in your pocket or attached to your body. Why don't you just grab a tiny digital audio player like a Sandisk Sansa? Tons of storage and a screen for navigation, it's made to do what you need, and you're not exposing your $600 smartphone to salty sweat. I have one and it works great for running.

However, if you decide to keep running with your Z10, I hope you get your issue worked out.
    05-20-13 12:54 PM
    Thanks for the quick replies. Ok I'll reset and see how it behaves - it might have just been some bugs with the OS.

Yes the Z10 is pretty huge to go running with compared to the iPhone 4S anyway. I guess I just like to have everything in 1 device rather than having several different ones.
    05-20-13 12:58 PM
    Sorry, i know this isnt what you're asking for but I think it's kind of strange to go running with a huge smartphone either in your pocket or attached to your body. Why don't you just grab a tiny digital audio player like a Sandisk Sansa? Tons of storage and a screen for navigation, it's made to do what you need, and you're not exposing your $600 smartphone to salty sweat. I have one and it works great for running.

However, if you decide to keep running with your Z10, I hope you get your issue worked out.
    True but in our "connected" world most of us can't be stuck without our phone. That's what we have smartphones so we don't need to carry multiples

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 01:00 PM
    I mountain bike with mine and use neutron player as it allows me to put phone in stand by mode and keep playing. Stock music player shuts down when put in stand by mode.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 01:04 PM
    I hear you guys, I'm permanently tied to my smartphone as well, mostly because my clients expect me to respond to communications right away.

Aside from the moisture exposure, I think I have a fear of running with my phone because of a belief that every stride involves a stress on everything that's attached to the motherboard as the phone bounces up and down. I'm no electronics engineer; maybe everything is packed so tight that it doesn't matter.
    scorepion likes this.
    05-20-13 01:08 PM
    I mountain bike with mine and use neutron player as it allows me to put phone in stand by mode and keep playing. Stock music player shuts down when put in stand by mode.

Posted via CB10
    Do you mean "Bedside" mode.

My Z10 has never stopped playing while locking and turning the screen off. IF Bedside mode is what you are referring to, it will trun off all sounds for you to have a good night sleep. Hence the term Beside.
    05-20-13 01:08 PM
    Stock music player shuts down when put in stand by mode.Posted via CB10
    You mean by pushing the button on the top of the phone? Hmm, it never shuts off the media player when I do that. Also, using the side volume keys as skip forward, skip back, and pause/ play.
    05-20-13 01:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    What standby mode?

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 01:33 PM
    I use mine when weightlifting. Only bad thing is getting sweat all over the screen if I have to take a call lol.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 01:37 PM
    I'm using endomondo (free version) with no issue so far. I got a 4US$ neoprene Armand case which fits just well while running

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 01:56 PM
    Top button, headphones connected to blu tooth.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 02:03 PM
    You may also be experiencing the reboots. I can tell when mine has restarted because all my apps are closed. With my BlueTooth headset, I find out how often it restarts because the headset vibrates when it loses connection.
    05-20-13 02:09 PM
    I run frequently with my Z10 and the sports tracker app. I usually open the music player, start the running playlist, then go to the sports tracker app and start it. I never use the "hold" button on the top of the phone while I run and my apps never shut down. I have a waterproof (sweatproof) neoprene armband so I do not have to worry about moisture. I haven't had any issues with either running at the same time. I hope the restart helped you.
    05-20-13 02:47 PM
    I run with my Z10. I use Sports Tracker to track the run while I listen to music using Slacker. I also use a Bluetooth headset (Jaybird Freedom).

The apps never close on me but I have had the Z10 reboot twice.
    05-20-13 03:02 PM
    I have tried Sports Tracker and then bought Fitness Tracker. I prefer Fitness Tracker as it does allow for the use of a music player.
    05-20-13 03:09 PM
    Do you mean "Bedside" mode.

My Z10 has never stopped playing while locking and turning the screen off. IF Bedside mode is what you are referring to, it will trun off all sounds for you to have a good night sleep. Hence the term Beside.
    I sometimes listen to music in bed and after starting the music I put it in bedside mode... the music keeps playing?
    So in my case it doesn't kill the music,ut does kill all other sounds.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 05:52 PM
    I have started running with my Z10 and use Sports Tracker as well. I have not had any reboots. What I get is the Z10 goes in to sleep mode and then locks. When I got to lap the workout, check time/stats or something like that I need to unlock the Z10 first. I have set the sleep setting to the longest (5 min) and swipe the screen every minute or two to prevent the z10 locking.

Anyone find a better way around this? Swiping the screen every so often takes away from the workout.

Thanks.
    05-27-13 07:38 AM
    I use my old gen 3 ipod touch in a arm sleeve for working out. I'd never risk breaking my z10 on a run. Just make sure you phone is set to lock. You could accidentally be touching it inadvertently.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    05-27-13 07:44 AM