Awaiting my Z10 to be delivered from flipkart.com.
    Wanted to alert fellow Z10 users about this Rogue App on the Blackberry World shown as a Top Free App that has managed to brick my Playbook today!
    If you own a playbook too, navigate to Blackberry World - Apps - Top Free.
    Here you will notice an app with the ICON, SCREENSHOT and DESCRIPTION stolen from official XE.com app. Once installed, it hijacks your playbook. It doesn't install any currency conversion app. It instead installs a program called Geometrics which freezes your Playbook. It continuously accesses the internet to transmit data to an unknown location. Even after attempting to uninstall it, it stays on your Playbook homescreen. (Please see attached screenshots). Neither can you access "application permissions".

So guys beware of this particular Rogue App.

EDIT: Have also attached the screenshot of the original official XE.com app. It is not available for the Playbook Platform. The cheat developer has taken advantage of this fact.

Have reported this to the original owners of XE.com at their addresses:
    [email protected]
    [email protected].

Thankyou qbnkelt for reporting this to the CB Team (should have done this myself) and to OScar_E for reporting it to the official BBRY Team.

Managed to find instructions here on CB on how to wipe my playbook clean. Reloaded the OS and the updated it to the latest v2.1.0.1526. Everything is working fine. Thank you to all my fellow CB members who tested this and helped me with this.

Other members who tested this on their playbook were able to successfully uninstall the app by deleting the icon on the homescreen after the app is uninstalled. That prevents it from reinstalling.
    Attached Thumbnails A 'rogue app' in Blackberry World shown as a Top Free App!-img_00000031.jpg   A 'rogue app' in Blackberry World shown as a Top Free App!-img_00000035.jpg   A 'rogue app' in Blackberry World shown as a Top Free App!-img_00000030.jpg  
    Last edited by Kishore Thaakur; 03-03-13 at 08:34 AM.
    03-02-13 02:55 PM
    I can't find the App you are referring to

Posted via CB10
    dcbo89 likes this.
    03-02-13 03:23 PM
    That's great and all but what's the app called LOL

Whiteberry by choice - from my white z10
    03-02-13 03:24 PM
    If it is a virus as you claim more than likely its an android app download Max Secure to wipe it out.

Posted via CB10
    blackberrybrad likes this.
    03-02-13 03:27 PM
    Installed this app this morning on my Z10, is an android port. Didn't take over my device nor did it install any other application. Un installed fine too!

Looks like the app has been removed. Puzzled as to how the application was able to do the damage you specified.

Can't check my data allowance at the moment as my carriers site is rubbish

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 03:28 PM
    XE is a huge currency trading company that operates globally.
    XE - The World's Favorite Currency and Foreign Exchange Site

I don't know if the software you are showing is a third party and badly written, or it is defective in some way. We use XE services in our company for checking and dealing with foreign currencies. I never tried their apps. I go on line with my Playbook or phone to check currency prices.

I am under the impression that Blackberry screens all the programs in their system for safety and for integrity. From what I have been told not just anyone can upload a program to Blackberry World on their own for distribution or sell. Everything has to be arranged through Blackberry. Blackberry is considered to be very secure and very vigilant for the safety of its users. Maybe you should bring up this instance with Blackberry support...!!!???
    03-02-13 03:32 PM
    I can't find the App you are referring to

Posted via CB10
    Did you see the images attached with my original post?
    Did you try searching for the rogue app from the Z10 device? Cause I came across this app from the Blackberry World on my Playbook. Still awaiting my Z10.
    03-02-13 03:39 PM
    That's great and all but what's the app called LOL

Whiteberry by choice - from my white z10
    It's called XE - Currency Conversion
    anon3969612 likes this.
    03-02-13 03:40 PM
    Did you see the images attached with my original post?
    Did you try searching for the rogue app from the Z10 device? Cause I came across this app from the Blackberry World on my Playbook. Still awaiting my Z10.
    Did you notice you posted this in the Z10 forum?
    03-02-13 03:43 PM
    If it is a virus as you claim more than likely its an android app download Max Secure to wipe it out.

Posted via CB10
    That's so freakin bad and disappointing! I am on the Blackberry platform most importantly to stay secure from the junk, the malware, the spyware and the viruses on android platform. So bloody dejected!
    03-02-13 03:44 PM
    Did you notice you posted this in the Z10 forum?
    Did you even bother to read my Post?
    Did you notice that the Playbook and the Z10 are essentially both based on the same platform - QNX?
    Did you know that a huge number of apps on your Z10 have been ported from the Playbook?
    Did you comprehend that if a virus can reach a Playbook through Blackberry World, it can indeed reach the Z10 too?

Or are you telling me to buzz off and keep this news restricted to Playbook forums since you don't own a Playbook and hence you will never be affected by this..
    Or you are telling me to buzz off purely on "technical grounds" since this rogue app was detected on Playbook.

And thanks for your help and support on this issue.
    akavbb likes this.
    03-02-13 03:49 PM
    There is a XE clone app on BW. I found it by searching "Currency Conversion" it does sport the XE logo. It has 22 reviews.
    edendave likes this.
    03-02-13 03:53 PM
    Did you notice that the playbook and the Z10 are essentially both based on the same platform - QNX
    Did you comprehend that if a virus can reach a playbook through Blackberry World, it can indeed reach the Z10 too.

Or are you telling me to buzz off and keep this news restricted to Playbook forums since you don't own a Playbook and hence you will never be affected by this.
    Woah, hold the phone, we got a badass here...

1) I've had a PlayBook from day 1.
    2) Chill out
    3) I comprehend the following: That this is not a virus, as you've done no forensics on it to prove this. That your drawing a parallel based upon the underlying architecture between PBOS 2.0 & BB10, forgetting that the same app is not available on the BB10 store, so unless someone really "clever" finds the bar and side loads it, it isn't going to be a problem.
    4) I actually own a Z10, unlike yourself, so I can asses the threat I'm under, i.e., none.
    5) Stop suggesting, sarcastically, if I comprehend stuff
    6) Relax, you need a break
    7) Seriously, you sound really up tight.

You're just trying to whip up a frenzy about this, and guess what, it's not a big deal. Thanks for reading.
    03-02-13 03:58 PM
    I have xe on my z10 with no issues that I am aware of.....downloaded it the day I got my phone a couple weeks ago
    03-02-13 04:03 PM
    XE is a huge currency trading company that operates globally.
    XE - The World's Favorite Currency and Foreign Exchange Site

I don't know if the software you are showing is a third party and badly written, or it is defective in some way. We use XE services in our company for checking and dealing with foreign currencies. I never tried their apps. I go on line with my Playbook or phone to check currency prices.

I am under the impression that Blackberry screens all the programs in their system for safety and for integrity. From what I have been told not just anyone can upload a program to Blackberry World on their own for distribution or sell. Everything has to be arranged through Blackberry. Blackberry is considered to be very secure and very vigilant for the safety of its users. Maybe you should bring up this instance with Blackberry support...!!!???
    Atlast someone knows about the amazing original app. We too love the original app and use it all the time at my work. I have it on my Bold 9780 too. The rogue app that has infected my playbook is not badly written or anything like that. It has nothing to do with currency conversion other than it's name and description. It installs an app by the name of GEOMETRICS which then takes over your OS. This app then cannot be uninstalled or deleted.

I am posting the screenshot of the original app and the rogue app. Just check out what the hacker has done! You will be shocked!!
    Attached Thumbnails A 'rogue app' in Blackberry World shown as a Top Free App!-img_00000035.jpg   A 'rogue app' in Blackberry World shown as a Top Free App!-img_00000031.jpg  
    03-02-13 04:04 PM
    This is the app

Check out Currency Conversion in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/88332

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 04:07 PM
    IT CLEARLY SAYS IT IS NOT OFFICIAL. This DOES NOT MEAN IT IS A ROGUE APP, FFS.

Jesus tap dancing Christ, did you flip out when Blaq, the UNOFFICIAL Twitter app, was released?
    03-02-13 04:15 PM
    This is the app

Check out Currency Conversion in BlackBerry World! You can find it at BlackBerry World - Currency Conversion

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the link but if you click it on the playbook it takes you to the rogue app and not the official XE.com app. Please see the screenshots in my post above this.
    03-02-13 04:15 PM
    I don't know if Norton, McAffee, Kaspersky et al have a section reserved for mobile device malware or not, but have you checked them?

I know for computers they have a VERY extensive database, including detailed instructions on removal. You can send info to them regarding suspected virus infected files and they will assess it and advise on the best way to deal with it, as well as enter it into their database for the benefit of the greater commuity.

Good luck on finding a way to remove the malware.
    03-02-13 04:17 PM
    Thanks for the link but if you click it on the playbook it takes you to the rogue app and not the official XE.com app. Please see the screenshots in my post above this.
    Prove it. Prove it is a rogue app.
    03-02-13 04:18 PM
    IT CLEARLY SAYS IT IS NOT OFFICIAL. This DOES NOT MEAN IT IS A ROUGE APP, FFS.

Jesus tap dancing Christ, did you flip out when Blaq, the UNOFFICIAL Twitter app, was released?
    There he goes again.

Listen dude, I am sitting here with a bricked playbook which has a lot of important work data on it. So stop asking me to chill and relax. Some people also work for a living.

Yes, In the 20 line description cunningly copied from the original app, I missed out on the two lines you have cunningly posted.
    Yes, I got mislead by the official logo of XE.com.
    And don't call this "an unofficial XE app" just like the rogue developer has called it. It has nothing to do with Currency Conversion either as mentioned in the description.
    Blaq was called Blaq! It wasn't called twitter.
    Blaq never used the official logo of twitter as it's logo.
    This is not XE yet it's called XE.
    This doesn't have anything to do with currency conversion YET it describes itself as a currency convertor.

It cunningly installs a program called geometrics and won't delete or uninstall.
    Enough spoon feeding. Now go play with some kids your age..
    03-02-13 04:30 PM
    There he goes again.

Listen dude, I am sitting here with a bricked playbook which has a lot of important work data on it. So stop asking me to chill and relax. Some people also work for a living.

Yes, In the 20 line description cunningly copied from the original app, I missed out on the two lines you have cunningly posted.
    And don't call this "an unofficial XE app" just like the rogue developer has called it. It has nothing to do with Currency Conversion either as mentioned in the description.
    This doesn't have anything to do with currency conversion YET it describes itself as a currency convertor.

It cunningly installs a program called geometrics and won't delete or uninstall.
    Your grumpy

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 04:38 PM
    There he goes again.

I guarantee I'm older than you, I work harder than you, and I clearly have better manners than you. That aside:

- Your PB, If it's bricked, how do you know what is "cunningly installed"?
    - How do you know what "Geometrics" does, if anything? How "cunning" is it?
    - If your PB has work data on it, and you know what your doing, you'll have a regular backup. You do have a backup, don't you?
    - THIS IS NOT THE PB FORUM
    - I doubt you know how to use a spoon

You just seem to get angry when I ask you serious questions you don't know the answer to. Just man up and admit you're pulling most of this thread out of your lower intestine.
    03-02-13 04:42 PM
    I am not sure of the legalities of using the XE logo, but this doesn't seem to be a virus.

It's still on the Blackberry World site. I just downloaded it on my Z10, then used it, deleted it.

Geometrics is nothing evil, it looks like the part of the program that gets your gps location so the proper currencies can be set.
    03-02-13 04:45 PM
    I don't know if Norton, McAffee, Kaspersky et al have a section reserved for mobile device malware or not, but have you checked them?

I know for computers they have a VERY extensive database, including detailed instructions on removal. You can send info to them regarding suspected virus infected files and they will assess it and advise on the best way to deal with it, as well as enter it into their database for the benefit of the greater commuity.

Good luck on finding a way to remove the malware.
    Thanks for the help and advice, a member here on CB - Oscar_E has reported this junk to the official BB team. I am sure they'll clean up the BB world asap. As posted earlier other reviewers on the rogue app page have posted their ordeal. If only i had read the reviews before downloading.
    Anyways, I will follow up on your advice but my primary task is to look for instructions on the PB forums page to wipe clean my PB to factory state. Fortunately i have backup from last week.
    03-02-13 04:46 PM
80 123 ...