Hey all,

Forgive me if this has been asked else where recently, but I was curious if anyone lately has tried using a Roam Mobility SIM card in a Z10?

Only reason I ask is due to the APN issues everyone keeps bringing up. When Roam Mobility made a tweet saying that due to BIS no longer being required for a BlackBerry they could have BlackBerry on their network now, I asked Roam Mobility about it and got this as a response:

Hi,

It is true that the Z10 will work on our networks, however, the Canadian models do not work with data because the carrier firmware has locked out the internet setting to the consumer. We have no way of pushing the proper internet setting to the phone either. I believe the Carrier is the one that controls if the consumer has access to the APN settings and not Blackberry themselves as the European ones do have the ability to change the APN

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Customer Care
    Roam Mobility
    That was on March 19th. I was wondering now that the Z10 has hit the US on carriers like AT&T if that would have any bearing on the APN settings correctly populating themselves now? Long shot I know, but I thought I would ask to see what options are open for travel SIM cards now. Thanks!
    04-08-13 03:21 PM
    I'm in the same boat. About to head to the US and I've got a Roam SIM I'd love to use.

Called up Rogers and they said the only way to change the APN is to get the phone unlocked. Since my phone is through my organization I'm going to have to follow-up with someone internally and can't just go to the Rogers Unlock Team.

Anyone successfully unlocked their Z10 using CrackBerryUnlocking.com ? BlackBerry Unlock codes, BlackBerry Unlocking, Unlock BlackBerry 10? If so can you now edit your APN settings?
    04-13-13 06:47 PM
    I was in the States recently and used a Roam SIM with my Z10, and I used their Liberty product for data (it's a mobile hotspot). Both worked perfectly, though the battery life on the Liberty could have been better.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 07:20 PM
    I'm in the same boat. About to head to the US and I've got a Roam SIM I'd love to use.

Called up Rogers and they said the only way to change the APN is to get the phone unlocked. Since my phone is through my organization I'm going to have to follow-up with someone internally and can't just go to the Rogers Unlock Team.

Anyone successfully unlocked their Z10 using CrackBerryUnlocking.com ? BlackBerry Unlock codes, BlackBerry Unlocking, Unlock BlackBerry 10? If so can you now edit your APN settings?
    I can't speak to the success of that site for unlocking alas. If you do somehow find a way to get it unlocked and give the Roam SIM card a try, please do report back here if you have any success. I would love to use Roam for my USA travelling, but with no ability to change the APN, that just kills the data.

I have seen in this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post8300954 some users on Bell have put on the AT&T recent update and for some reason this opens up the APN settings. How or why, I am unsure. Otherwise, it looks like the APN is still locked for users using a locked or unlocked phone.
    04-13-13 09:53 PM
    There is a thread on changing apn settings with the engineering screen but it is really expert stuff. I gave up on roam. Just use t mobile prepaid. Works great.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 10:46 PM
    There is a thread on changing apn settings with the engineering screen but it is really expert stuff. I gave up on roam. Just use t mobile prepaid. Works great.

Posted via CB10
    Hey, I think you might be referring to this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...around-794643/

I know some people have hinted at having success with this method while others have not; see the comments in the linked article from that thread: How to access the engineering (Help Me!) screen on BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com. Frankly, knowing my luck, I would end up just completely bricking the phone if I messed around with that too much haha.

Alas, unless a new update or something the like pops up I think we are all stuck with locked APNs. Rather discouraging as this is the main issue holding me back on picking up one and recommending it to others.

At any rate, may I ask how you have found T-mobile? I have looked at some of their plans. $30 for unlimited texting, 4G data, and 100 minutes talk time looks really sweet.
    04-13-13 11:13 PM
    Damn. I have a ATT SIM and didn?t bring it with me. Could have tried updating to their latest OS.

If I don't have any luck with Rogers unlocking my phone I will try the engineering screen and my ROAM SIM I did bring with me. This is all assuming I get an unlock code before leaving the US.
    04-14-13 10:48 AM
    Hopefully you can figure it out Fizi.

I am trying to get an understanding of all this.
    Unlocking the Z10 is simple enough. That unlocks its from the carrier. Now does that do anything with the APN?

Also from what I am gathering, you can take an unlocked Z10 and it will work with a T-Mobile sim card but it won't work with a Roam sim?
    If this is so, is it just because of this APN thing?

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 12:18 PM
    Unlocking let's you put any SIM in and if you're using a first party SIM I think it will all work. You run into problems with 3rd party SIMs which requires custom APN settings.
    04-14-13 12:32 PM
    Hey, I think you might be referring to this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...around-794643/

I know some people have hinted at having success with this method while others have not; see the comments in the linked article from that thread: How to access the engineering (Help Me!) screen on BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com. Frankly, knowing my luck, I would end up just completely bricking the phone if I messed around with that too much haha.

Alas, unless a new update or something the like pops up I think we are all stuck with locked APNs. Rather discouraging as this is the main issue holding me back on picking up one and recommending it to others.

At any rate, may I ask how you have found T-mobile? I have looked at some of their plans. $30 for unlimited texting, 4G data, and 100 minutes talk time looks really sweet.
    Yes! T mobile prepaid is awesome and works perfectly with z10. If you get $50 plan you get a free sim. Waay better than roam or cdn carriers.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 07:13 PM
    Hopefully you can figure it out Fizi.

I am trying to get an understanding of all this.
    Unlocking the Z10 is simple enough. That unlocks its from the carrier. Now does that do anything with the APN?

Also from what I am gathering, you can take an unlocked Z10 and it will work with a T-Mobile sim card but it won't work with a Roam sim?
    If this is so, is it just because of this APN thing?

Posted via CB10
    Correct. Roam will only work for phone calls, not data. This because the roam sim will not push apn settings. T mobile prepaid works because the network / sim card push the correct apn settings so no modification is necessary.

Posted via CB10
    vpblaze likes this.
    04-14-13 07:17 PM
    Quick update. The knobs at Rogers won't unlock my Z10 for me until it's been on my account 90 days. You know. My corporate account that's not going anywhere anytime soon and a Z10 we bought outright from them.

Great customer service there.
    04-16-13 12:36 PM
    Quick update. The knobs at Rogers won't unlock my Z10 for me until it's been on my account 90 days. You know. My corporate account that's not going anywhere anytime soon and a Z10 we bought outright from them.

Great customer service there.
    Why don't you use crackberry unlock. I think they are cheaper and great service.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 03:59 PM
    Why don't you use crackberry unlock. I think they are cheaper and great service.

Posted via CB10
    $45 and it might not unlock the APN settings? Bit of a gamble. Plus I'll probably dump this Z10 for a Q10.
    04-16-13 04:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    I also did some research and those unlocking services won't open up the APN settings. Your carrier has to do it.
    04-16-13 04:42 PM
    I also did some research and those unlocking services won't open up the APN settings. Your carrier has to do it.
    Ah, Rogers is the same as Telus/Koodo are they? I was told the same thing; that after 90 days I could then get an unlock code from the directly for $50. If you plan on perhaps switching over to the Q10, perhaps it may be a wise idea not to purchase a 3rd party unlock code? I have heard some horror stories of people trying to exchange/return a Z10 for whatever reason, but due using a 3rd party unlock code it voided warranty and was not available for exchange/return.

Like I said in an earlier message, I have seen people have success applying the AT&T update to their phones in Canada here and that opened up the APN settings. See the thread I was discussing this in here http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ml#post8319691. Hopefully whatever way you go it works out for you!
    04-16-13 07:05 PM
    Ah, Rogers is the same as Telus/Koodo are they? I was told the same thing; that after 90 days I could then get an unlock code from the directly for $50. If you plan on perhaps switching over to the Q10, perhaps it may be a wise idea not to purchase a 3rd party unlock code? I have heard some horror stories of people trying to exchange/return a Z10 for whatever reason, but due using a 3rd party unlock code it voided warranty and was not available for exchange/return.

Like I said in an earlier message, I have seen people have success applying the AT&T update to their phones in Canada here and that opened up the APN settings. See the thread I was discussing this in here http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ml#post8319691. Hopefully whatever way you go it works out for you!
    It's a company phone so it's not going anywhere. It'll just go back in the pool. I'll be buying the Q10 outright myself and then just putting my corp SIM in it.

I forgot my ATT SIM at home so I can't get the OS update.
    04-16-13 07:22 PM
    Just to clear the air. I have successfully unlocked 3 Z10; One each on Rogers, Telus and Bell.

All 3 after the Unlocking, had their apn fields are editable.

Roam Mobility and the Z10-img_00000163.png

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 08:03 PM
    Just to clear the air. I have successfully unlocked 3 Z10; One each on Rogers, Telus and Bell.

All 3 after the Unlocking, had their apn fields are editable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000163.png 
Views:	405 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	151869

Posted via CB10
    Which OS is on each of those phones? and did you use CrackBerryUnlocking.com ? BlackBerry Unlock codes, BlackBerry Unlocking, Unlock BlackBerry 10?

Edit: Ah well you know what I'm a sucker, impatient and dumb sometimes. I've ordered an unlock code and have the new ATT OS downloading right now so hopefully one way or the other this works out.
    04-16-13 08:13 PM
    Apn settings are not locked per say, they are populated by the network / sim card that you are using and can't be edited. This is an os issue that affects all phones including factory unlocked ones.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 08:42 PM
    Good thing I'm getting that new ATT update while I wait for my code. I'll be able to confirm if the APN settings can be edited after unlocking on the current Rogers OS (10.0.10.85) and if not try again after the ATT update and report back.

People are reporting success with editing APN settings after the ATT update.
    04-16-13 08:54 PM
    Definitely let us know if it works!

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 08:59 PM
    Good thing I saw this thread, i am travelling to the US from Canada next week and I was ready to use the roam mobility Sim card I ordered. I had unlocked my phone but I didn't know that the APN doesn't populate properly. I have installed the 10.0.10.116 update and now I can change my APN. I'll try Roam out next week and report any findings.

Posted via CB10
    Smitty13 likes this.
    04-17-13 10:26 AM
    Roam Mobility and the Z10-gwbush_mission_accomplished_25-s200x200-179224.jpg

Got my unlock code from CrackBerryUnlocking.com ? BlackBerry Unlock codes, BlackBerry Unlocking, Unlock BlackBerry 10.

Entered it into my Rogers Z10 (10.0.10.85) and it successfully unlocked.

Put my Roam SIM in the phone. Got connected to the Roam network for voice/sms but was unable to access data (expected). Went to change APN settings and they were not editable.

Rebooted phone. Same non-editable APN settings.

Grabbed the AT&T 10.0.10.116 update and installed it on my phone.

Changed my APN settings (they were now editable) to "roam".

Rebooted phone.

I now have 100% working 4G Data on Roam Mobility in St. Louis right now.
    dexter and Smitty13 like this.
    04-17-13 12:52 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWBush_Mission_Accomplished_25-s200x200-179224.jpg 
Views:	730 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	152086

Got my unlock code from CrackBerryUnlocking.com ? BlackBerry Unlock codes, BlackBerry Unlocking, Unlock BlackBerry 10.

Entered it into my Rogers Z10 (10.0.10.85) and it successfully unlocked.

Put my Roam SIM in the phone. Got connected to the Roam network for voice/sms but was unable to access data (expected). Went to change APN settings and they were not editable.

Rebooted phone. Same non-editable APN settings.

Grabbed the AT&T 10.0.10.116 update and installed it on my phone.

Changed my APN settings (they were now editable) to "roam".

Rebooted phone.

I now have 100% working 4G Data on Roam Mobility in St. Louis right now.
    Excellent news, fizi! Glad this all worked out for you in the end! I must say, I am pretty excited to know that this is now possible. Thanks for the first hand testimony!
    04-17-13 12:55 PM
41 12