I haven't had a BB since the original Torch. I have a Galaxy S3 now and am SO glad to see RIM is making a comeback! I hope this pans out and can stand up to Android.

My only concern is apps. That's the main reason I left BB. Can someone enlighten me on how the app store is these days? Last time I checked, BB didn't even have Skype available. You had to use iSkoot.

I wish we had a solid release date.
    09-06-12 02:42 AM
    Hi!

Been a Berry user for 3 years now and I can say the Appworld got better. Still no Skype, or Viber with calling functionality (just with messages), but the basic apps that matter are there, like in all major platforms. On my 9900 I have the following apps, which I use more or less, since I am not really that kind of "many apps guy": BlackBerry Protect (essential to back up/restore/wipe data), shazam (music tags), weather trax, XE currency, whatsapp (messaging between major platforms, excellent), Tunewiki (radio stations all over the world, various genres), Facebook, Twitter, Memory Booster (must have for BB fans), SideSwipe (news from all domains), flashlight (comes in handy when you need it), unit converter, horoscope, and that's about it. And there's more, all these are free versions, with perfect functionality, which get regular updates. You can even purchase apps, and the process is quite straighforward. So, to cut a long story short, the current Appworld is a far cry (for the better) from the one 3 years ago, and I really don't miss any other app that's on Android (been there, got back to BB) or iOS (I also have the new i-pad). Moreover, I really think that BB 10 will deliver, and the universe of apps will get even better.
    Cheers! John
    09-06-12 05:33 AM
    At least until we see BB10, the apps always going to be a problem!

Even tough App World is better, Play Store and App Store are 1000 miles away... The PB/BB are now getting paid apps, that are for free in those other 2 stores for more than a year! The same with game - especially with games!

It's kinda frustrating, but if you think of it, you can actually do a lot of stuff with your device, as tough , not as many of what can be done with the other devices.

Most of the stuff we crave, we don't even use it, but thats general in life ^^

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-06-12 06:04 AM
    Yes, I agree, most of the apps we crave for we sometimes don't even use. Good point! Anyway, having used Android and iOS I agree that BB's appworld does not even come close, but at the end of the day, as I said in my post, all that I want is on my phone, don't really need that many, since I don't play any games on the 9900, nor do I enjoy useless apps that mostly take up your ram memory. Another issue with BlackBerry, which I hope they'll address in BB 10, is the capability of transferring apps to the microSD card, or finding a way that prevents the phone from getting the memory full, and thus, lags and freezings. Even on the 9900, which has 700 something of ram, now, with about 15 apps installed, I have 148 mb available, I suspect the remaining 500 and something is being used by the OS 7. All in all, for me, 9900 is the perfect fit, for now, at least and I really don't feel any kind of envy when my friends brag about their shinny S3's or iPhones. I am way beyond that. )
    09-06-12 06:23 AM
    I don't think the apps will be copiable to sd cards because of the piracy.

Free bars to everyone in a small card lol

RIM is much smarter (and the other devices too, androids,of course).

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    09-06-12 06:46 AM
    You're right about the piracy issue, but on my former HTC Desire S (tried for almost 1.5 months) you could copy an app to the card, which frees up space on the ram memory. And I agree with you on all that you said about RIM, I only wish these months would pass quicker. In the meantime, we have the new Nokia 920 and, probably, the new iPhone, with Samsung getting its beaten up. Maybe the delayed launch would do RIM good, as people will want something fresh. I am not the "Taliban" wing of RIM, I think there's enough room for all players on the market, it's like the motor vehicle industry, everyone should buy what fits them best.
    09-06-12 07:02 AM
    i have android now, as i said, and i love the photography apps on it. such as instagram, photo editor, puri photo, adobe photoshop, etc....

i'm guessing that BB isn't up to snuff in that area yet?

i figure by the time i'm due for an upgrade (Dec 2013) BB10 will be launched and most major bugs worked out and most likely a new model on the way or out.

Anyone know if it's coming to Tmo?
    09-06-12 03:32 PM
    I haven't had a BB since the original Torch. I have a Galaxy S3 now and am SO glad to see RIM is making a comeback! I hope this pans out and can stand up to Android.

My only concern is apps. That's the main reason I left BB. Can someone enlighten me on how the app store is these days? Last time I checked, BB didn't even have Skype available. You had to use iSkoot.

I wish we had a solid release date.
    Can't you surf to BB app world from you computer to see what is there?
    09-06-12 03:37 PM
    oh wow i didn't even think of that.

i'm so out of the loop in BB news...hopefully it's updating when BB10 is released.

just checked...man they have nothing...
    Last edited by olliegrl; 09-06-12 at 03:46 PM.
    09-06-12 03:44 PM
    RIM started a campaign that says that if you or developers make an app for BB 10, then you might receive 10,000 dollars. I really hope that that will entice people to make apps for the Appworld.
    09-14-12 09:32 PM
    I terms of games and photography BB10 will definitely fill that gap (look at the apps Playbook has to offer as a "hint". . .) but I guess we won't know how many big name iOS and Android apps will make it to BB10 till much later. . . for some reason I have the feeling that apps like Instagram, Skype, Nexflix, etc. will be a deal breaker for many folks if they are not available by BB10 launch. . . (which may sound a bit absurd to some but I guess that's just how it is now . . .)
    09-15-12 07:10 AM
    I think BB10 is going to have a hard time filling all those apps made by industries or corporation. Most companies these days will only spend money developing for iOS and Android. WP7 has a good array of apps but not as good. For work, there are many apps put out by vendors that I would find useful but not available for bb. I'm afraid this trend will continue and if BB10 does well it'll be a few more years before these companies will jump on board.

So the question is how much patience will people have? This whole notion of "Tools not Toys" doesn't hold water anymore as more and more of my work tools are available on iOS and Android as apps but not on bb. Email isn't just enough anymore as a work tool.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-15-12 03:27 PM
    People like toys and buy the crap out of them. People admire tools but most only buy imitations except for the serious workers. Rim needs to make bb10 a tool and a toy
    09-19-12 08:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD