"Originally Posted by ericdude

quad core, 1080p, with a 2000+mA battery...???"

No chance, No chance and almost no chance.
    not too far fetched if you look@ Aristo specs...
    12-14-12 02:19 PM
    i've said it b4,,, expanding the PlayBooks' role as an extension of the phone would be AWESOME,,, & making it a BlackBerry phone only feature would surely sell a bunch of phones & whatever pb's that are left out there & whatever that thing is (Black Forest 10" tab???) on the 2013 road map,,, HEY!!! RIM!!! you listening??? THAT would be a pleasant & welcome surprise & a HUGE game changer,,, i.e. bridged Playbook / 10" tab = bridged phone,,, all the parts are in place, just gotta turn the key to fire it up...
    12-14-12 02:25 PM
    "Originally Posted by ericdude

quad core, 1080p, with a 2000+mA battery...???"

not too far fetched if you look@ Aristo specs...
    It is far fetched if you look at what we know actually exists unlike some vague specsheet, they have already shown that bb10 runs fast on a dual-core so why would they go for a more expensive processor when they have zero need other than to appeal to spec addicts, as far as 1080p there have been not even been the slightest leaks about a 5" or larger model and that is what is required for that resolution display and as far as the battery there is a vague chance of it happening but it is unlikely as it would have leaked by now.
    gschep likes this.
    12-15-12 06:42 AM
    i've said it b4,,, expanding the PlayBooks' role as an extension of the phone would be AWESOME,,, & making it a BlackBerry phone only feature would surely sell a bunch of phones & whatever pb's that are left out there & whatever that thing is (Black Forest 10" tab???) on the 2013 road map,,, HEY!!! RIM!!! you listening??? THAT would be a pleasant & welcome surprise & a HUGE game changer,,, i.e. bridged Playbook / 10" tab = bridged phone,,, all the parts are in place, just gotta turn the key to fire it up...
    The odds are that we won't see a bb10 bridge from the outset, it would require a complete rewrite to connect a bb10 rather than bbos to a playbook to provide a feature that is not that vital to the success of bb10 judging by the pb sales to date, it will probably be something they add later as it is something different that they offer and hopefully they do something to also include phonecalls because the speakers on a playbook seem like they would be perfect for a speakerphone.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-15-12 06:50 AM
    I'm not sure its that hard to implement bridge. we know that all it is a service that can be seen through html. when a lot of us had bridge problems there was a work around to use the web browser. in aadition it screen sharing has been rumored which can be consider an addition to bridge.
    12-15-12 06:58 AM
    I'm not sure its that hard to implement bridge. we know that all it is a service that can be seen through html. when a lot of us had bridge problems there was a work around to use the web browser. in aadition it screen sharing has been rumored which can be consider an addition to bridge.
    While it may not be that hard to implement, at this point they will be juggling priorities to ensure everything that is there at launch works spot on and something like bridge is zero use to anyone other than a playbook owner and there simply aren't that many of those out there for them to be very high up the list, especially since lack of a new version of bridge at launch is not going to be a deal-breaker for almost anyone interested in bb10.
    12-15-12 10:40 AM
    Is there any speculation on release date for Aristo? Is it really worth waiting for?
    12-15-12 12:03 PM
    Is there any speculation on release date for Aristo? Is it really worth waiting for?
    There has been one leaked spec sheet, that puts it less than 6 months after the bb10 launch, but most logical people assume that is old news and any device along the lines of aristo will now show up in a year's time or so as the first yearly update to l-series and unless you are very patient it will not be worth depriving yourself of an l-series for a year to wait for it.
    12-15-12 05:12 PM
    The biggest surprise for me would be price. Put it at $150 or less without contract and they will climb to the top by the summer.
    12-15-12 08:13 PM
    While it may not be that hard to implement, at this point they will be juggling priorities to ensure everything that is there at launch works spot on and something like bridge is zero use to anyone other than a playbook owner and there simply aren't that many of those out there for them to be very high up the list, especially since lack of a new version of bridge at launch is not going to be a deal-breaker for almost anyone interested in bb10.
    any idea roughly how many were produced vs. how many have been sold??? IF,,, they were inclined to get back into tablets, hooking up current owners may be advantageous
    12-15-12 09:33 PM
    See my posts. I already told about NY1 for several times.
    looked back and read your posts, but do you know if this is going to be the device in feb?? i would be ecstatic.
    12-15-12 09:43 PM
    The biggest surprise for me would be price. Put it at $150 or less without contract and they will climb to the top by the summer.
    Actually with such pricing they would be bankrupt by the summer.
    Plazmic Flame and DJM626 like this.
    12-16-12 07:33 AM
    looked back and read your posts, but do you know if this is going to be the device in feb?? i would be ecstatic.
    Go back and read the specs, he is clearly making a joke at the expense of those people who get carried away with devices having to have over the top specs.
    12-16-12 07:34 AM
    Actually with such pricing they would be bankrupt by the summer.
    No they wouldn't, videogame consoles do it all the time by selling at a loss at the beginning, they start to show a profit once they reach their desired install base and reducing the cost of the device after a couple of yrs or so...which by then, there should be updated blackberries on the market so i think they will be just fine... Pricing it like the rest will just give potential buyers reason to look elsewhere and since blackberry has to reinvent itself again and come from behind consumers may not give it a starting chance...which is what they need right now.
    12-16-12 01:12 PM
    For BlackBerry and it's current position, they will have to be competitively priced. What that number is, I'm not sure. What's the most popular phone on the planet by name? iPhone. Current iPhone 5 sells for $179.00 on 3 year contract (Canada) or $149.00 on a 2 year contract (USA). BlackBerry needs to be somewhere close to these prices. $249 or $299 on contract will get them killed. Of course this all relates to the Western world where we have contracts.

For people in the rest of the world where they have to buy devices outright, they won't have to worry too much over time since BlackBerry does a good job of making a "range" of devices and will have affordable ones for those that aren't looking to dish out $600 for a device.
    12-16-12 01:22 PM
    No they wouldn't, videogame consoles do it all the time by selling at a loss at the beginning, they start to show a profit once they reach their desired install base and reducing the cost of the device after a couple of yrs or so...which by then, there should be updated blackberries on the market so i think they will be just fine... Pricing it like the rest will just give potential buyers reason to look elsewhere and since blackberry has to reinvent itself again and come from behind consumers may not give it a starting chance...which is what they need right now.
    Yes they would, if they were losing hundreds of dollars per device without significant revenue being generated by those sales then they would be dead by the summer, consoles manage to get by when selling at a slight loss due to the revenue they get from the sale of games which rim would not have, even Amazon who has vastly more revenue streams than Rim only sells their stuff at cost.

Beyond the games sales, the other crucial difference between the video game and mobile phone markets is that consoles tend to last for at least 4 years, whereas you do not have that long tail in which to recoup your initial losses on a phone since the sales are generally fairly front-loaded due to new ones coming out all the time.

Rim needs to demonstrate that they are offering something people are interested in at the going rate for a mainstream high-end offering, if they cannot do that then giving the things away will not help them.

Incidentally, losing $300 a phone would see them burn through their cash reserves in only 7 million sales and they managed to ship that many bb7 devices last quarter.
    12-16-12 03:22 PM
    Penetration pricing it's called. And the above poster is right, this is when the company making said product easily makes up for the loss in revenue in other services or products related to said product at the same time. This method is not a good option here. I don't think Price Skimming, setting the price high, is a good option either. It needs to be competitive.
    12-16-12 06:14 PM
    maybe another music video?
    12-16-12 09:18 PM
    No chance, No chance and almost no chance.
    Well duh.... But one can still be wishful, geez
    12-16-12 09:38 PM
    I think we are going to get a big upgrade for BIS. I wonder if they will include the Management Console that was done through BB Protect as a standard feature for families. I think the surprises are probably going to be services. They need to justify the NOC fees.
    12-20-12 02:20 PM
    I bet the "Surprise" will be some key pre-loaded apps! I hope they maintain the "Password Keeper" app!
    01-08-13 04:28 PM
    I bet the "Surprise" will be some key pre-loaded apps! I hope they maintain the "Password Keeper" app!
    I will be disappointed to lose PW keeper
    01-08-13 04:31 PM
    I will be disappointed to lose PW keeper
    I wouldn't; i'd hate to think what would happen if my phone was lost or fell in the wrong hands... i'd go nuts trying to remember my passwords just to be able to change them for fear someone has gotten into my accounts. needless to say i've never used password keeper and don't plan to...it's ALL in my head.
    01-08-13 07:18 PM
    I wouldn't; i'd hate to think what would happen if my phone was lost or fell in the wrong hands... i'd go nuts trying to remember my passwords just to be able to change them for fear someone has gotten into my accounts. needless to say i've never used password keeper and don't plan to...it's ALL in my head.
    I hope you don't loose your head then.
    Barljo likes this.
    01-08-13 08:16 PM
    It is a deal breaker for me. I love my Bold and the bridging feature it supports. I for one will wait for BB 10 to come to the Playbook before upgrading to a BB10 phone. Bridging is a major reason why my Blackberries are special to me.
    01-09-13 02:51 PM
103 ... 2345