Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree241Likes
    CrackBerry Addict

The iPhone can make it through the day?? In what parallel universe? Had a good laugh recently when I was out for dinner (7 pm) at a nice restaurant. First, at the maitre de's booth, a lady came up asking if he had an iPhone charger she could borrow (having left her's at home). I was shocked when he pulled one out! Said he gets asked all the time, most popular request next to reading glasses!

Then, sitting at the bar waiting for our table, several iPhone users came up during our wait to ask the bartender if they could plug in their iPhones, desparate to get back on Facebook and plan the rest of their evening, I guess. They carry a charger with them when they go out - too funny. Ok, maybe they are power users, but still - I'm a heavy user too, and my good old 9810 still had more than 50% of its battery left... :-)

That being said, I sure hope that the Z10 does better than the iPhone.
    netwerx1 and joe.miller like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thought I would just relate my experience with BB batteries. My Bold 9000 often would barely make it through the day as I have poor reception in my office. When working at an out of town site where there was poor reception the phone/battery would sometimes get so hot I couldn't keep the phone in my pocket and it would be dead before 5PM. So as mentioned, the battery life is not only determined by the phone and its battery. I now have a Torch 9800 and I can't believe how much better the battery life is. It easily goes the whole day with lots of charge left over. Since this is a newer design than the Bold I have to figure it includes better power saving technology. I was concerned about the first reports on the BB10 battery life as I agree it has to get at least 8 hours and better would be 12. From what I have read here it sounds like it should be OK, especially for someone like myself who is not a heavy user. Hoping to have a look at one next week. I have to say it looks a bit daunting to me so I'm going to have to try it for a while to see how steep the learning curve is. I'd like to hear more about the browser as well. I've seen mixed comments on how fast it is.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Considering that the official specs showed the Z10 battery life exceeds both the SG3, iP5 and Lumia 920, I don't buy the idea that it has a poorer battery life than the 3 mentioned competitors. Although real life usage may not reach official specifications but it should still be relatively representative. So after reading MobileSyrup's own testing and some other testimonials that do show Z10 is on par and at times better in battery life than the competition clearly indicate that the initial reports of poor battery life is unreliable...if not outright erroneous.
    I use BB10...the blasphemy!
    CrackBerry Abuser

I just got a new Bold JM 1 battery.I am doing the several cycles before expecting great life
    CrackBerry Master

A person can always get a bigger Mah battery if they find the stock battery won't last. Battery reports are making it seem bad which is not the case. A person just has to look around and see what good press Blackberry had before the launch of the Z10. There is your answer. The device is more than capable of holding it's own. If you want to talk about bad battery life get an iphone 4s or 5 it NEVER made it through an entire day!

Why do you think they have products like the juice pack for it?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EGerhardt View Post
    Particularly since those guys have obviously been playing games and such, if they've been leaving that stuff open that would explain why they think they are getting bad battery life. If they've been leaving open angry birds and pocket ninja and shark dash all together, then opening up a video on top... yeah that'll eat your battery.
    Actually, not one of those apps should use any power when it's not full-screen.

Apps on BB10 are expected to go completely idle when not in use, except for essential background activity which only a few types of apps would have. Games would almost never need to do that.

If anyone does not a game which continues to be active in some fashion even when "thumbnailed" (minimized), they should report it publicly here and shame the developer. Well... tell the developer too, and then maybe report it here to warn others.

Even apps like BBM which update their Active Frame to show recent updates shouldn't be consuming significant amounts of power when left open (mimimized), though over an entire day that feature might be costing you a measurable amount (like maybe a minute or two... at a guess).
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.

Default Reported Bad Battery Life :-(

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyBC View Post
    A person can always get a bigger Mah battery if they find the stock battery won't last. Battery reports are making it seem bad which is not the case. A person just has to look around and see what good press Blackberry had before the launch of the Z10. There is your answer. The device is more than capable of holding it's own. If you want to talk about bad battery life get an iphone 4s or 5 it NEVER made it through an entire day!

Why do you think they have products like the juice pack for it?
    Not my experience with my 4S. I have gone 22 hours on a full charge without recharging. I turned off location settings and do fetch every 30 minutes in areas where the reception may be bad. Very often it hinges on reception. Example, I can easy drop 20% while browsing while on the Metro.

When at home and while on wifi I have gone past 24 hours.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    CrackBerry Newbie

Close off all the apps running in the background. iphone5's eat battery if you don't close the apps down as well
    Thanked by:
    stardotstar (02-03-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

so we are to use black backgrounds to use less battery with these amoled screens... correct?

i guess the amoled is only on the q10...
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline_x View Post
    None of my Iphones or my androids can last from 8 am till 12 pm without hitting the charger. My 9900 would last 36 hours.

So.. I'm used to not having a phone last 2 days like they used to
    none of your phones ever last 4 hours?
    what are you doing? watching videos on full brightness while on a video conference call?
    CrackBerry Master

Can someone shed some light on this please...

Wasn't the use of QNX supposed to be a great advantage when handling processes, power management etc etc ??
    Why is "bad battery" life even being discussed, I would of hoped for a considerable noticable difference.

Seems to be, on PAPER QNX sounds amazing but in plain sight reality, its not really all that much different to the other alternatives when doing side by side comparisons.

I wasn't expecting the Z10 to power an entire nuclear station with its battery, but I was atleast hoping to read rave reviews about ANY feature and then the credit going to QNX as the reason for it, so for example Crackberry review could be like "yeh the battery is bloody amazing thanks to how QNX handles blah blah blah", instead we are in a position where excuses and scenarios are being made and nobody even notices the power house that is supposed to be the reliable QNX under the hood.

What I'm trying to get at is, I think most people are seeing this as the old BB OS with a whole new interface and way of doing things, and theres no obvious feeling that theres something else powering it.

P.S this is just from reviews, I've not tried or tested the OS, its just the general feeling I'm getting from reading.
    m0de25 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

I dont think anyone should be worried about the battery life, I took mine off charge at 9AM this morning and after playing with it all day, games, apps and music playing through bluetooth to the car stereo it said it had 10% left at 11PM.

That's a full days moderate heavy usage with 3G, wi-fi and bluetooth active. Loads of apps loaded and games being played with the brightness on half...

Battery so isn't going to be an issue for all but the heaviest of users.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts

My Bold had a hard time getting through the day when I first got it. Now that the novelty has worn off it has 80% when I got to bed and put it in the charger. Once the novelty wears off Z10 battery life will improve.
    1st BB 7100i > 2nd BB Bold 9930+16GB Playbook > Bye Bye to all my BB hardware>Hello S4 Galaxy, big enough to replace the PB and a great phone as well>Android of course.................
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    I have read reviews from Kevin, Engadget, Tech Crunch and others. Unfortunately all are reporting mediocre battery life. Most saying it will be hard to make it through a day under normal use. Unless they tweak the software to improve this between now and March release in US, I will have to pass on this model.

A normal days usage is my test. If a phone can't do that, I'm not carrying it.
    I would just bring another battery, or hopefully they'll have some type of wireless charging. My buddy has one for his Droid DNA. By the way you look like Doug Heffernan.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plexmaka View Post
    so we are to use black backgrounds to use less battery with these amoled screens... correct?

i guess the amoled is only on the q10...
    On the PlayBook, and until we discover otherwise also supposedly on the Z10, the screen uses less power when filled with black than when filled with white.

It may seem counter-intuitive to some, but really nobody except a handful of physicists and engineers has a valid intuition about technology this complex. Measurements show this to be the case, and you can't argue with reality...
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    283B671D

Quote Originally Posted by cavoc View Post
    I carry around an extra battery for my Samsung Galaxy S 3 so I'm used to not getting through an entire day. I also use my phone a lot.

I thought I read a while ago that Blackberry was looking to make the life of their battery in their first bb10 phone last exceptionally long?
    PC mag said it last 2 hours and 14 minutes longer then the iphone 5 in their test. I think they did what they set out to do if that is the case.

James
    CrackBerry Addict

So the battery is not fairing so well today, on battery for 11 hours, down to 20%. Been using it again all day.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by asherwiin View Post
    The iPhone can make it through the day?? In what parallel universe? Had a good laugh recently when I was out for dinner (7 pm) at a nice restaurant. First, at the maitre de's booth, a lady came up asking if he had an iPhone charger she could borrow (having left her's at home). I was shocked when he pulled one out! Said he gets asked all the time, most popular request next to reading glasses!

Then, sitting at the bar waiting for our table, several iPhone users came up during our wait to ask the bartender if they could plug in their iPhones, desparate to get back on Facebook and plan the rest of their evening, I guess. They carry a charger with them when they go out - too funny. Ok, maybe they are power users, but still - I'm a heavy user too, and my good old 9810 still had more than 50% of its battery left... :-)

That being said, I sure hope that the Z10 does better than the iPhone.
    Why is this funny to you? Iphones have some of the best battery life in the business, if they get that request a lot it's because it's an extremely popular phone, and owners tend to be very active on them.

In any case, have you not read any of the reviews? Battery life will be worse on the Z10 according to several review tests now. It is roughly...."middle" of the pack of the modern phones.

I am of two minds about this. 1.I don't think it should be a serious criticism (though RIM opened themselves up for this by hyping up battery life before the launch), they are....on par

2.All the people on this forum who used to criticize (in fact outright taunt/mock) the battery life of ios and android phones, had better either: a). taunt/mock the z10 b).retract what they said before

If you don't you're a dirty hypocrite.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by richardat View Post
    Why is this funny to you? Iphones have some of the best battery life in the business, if they get that request a lot it's because it's an extremely popular phone, and owners tend to be very active on them.

In any case, have you not read any of the reviews? Battery life will be worse on the Z10 according to several review tests now. It is roughly...."middle" of the pack of the modern phones.

I am of two minds about this. 1.I don't think it should be a serious criticism (though RIM opened themselves up for this by hyping up battery life before the launch), they are....on par

2.All the people on this forum who used to criticize (in fact outright taunt/mock) the battery life of ios and android phones, had better either: a). taunt/mock the z10 b).retract what they said before

If you don't you're a dirty hypocrite.
    On my iPhone 5, it would die within 6/7 hours on LTE & using it to the max. S3 would die 8/9 hours. I for one have not used the Z10 yet as i am getting it Tuesday but will test it out & check out the battery.
    Thanked by:
    rotorwrench (02-01-2013) 
    richardat likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

This phone was suppose to be all that was not with iPones, I guess better battery life was not included! This one a definate no, next model please or wait maybe a Samsung?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,537 Global Posts

I would get a Z10 if Seido makes a really nice Extended Battery. Remains to be seen at this point....

Don't be afraid to THANK or LIKE

BBM: 7A03E5E9

What is the ultimate BlackBerry? The ultimate BlackBerry would be a device with the screen size of the Z10 along with the physical keyboard of the Q10 and the battery life of the Z30. This, would be the ultimate BlackBerry. Why they haven't built it yet remains one of the greatest mystery of BlackBerry.

CrackBerry Abuser

Looking at posts and recent reviews reporting good or even better battery life compared to the competition, I think it's high time the thread title be changed.
    I use BB10...the blasphemy!
    MoolahMitch and revtech like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by BThunderW View Post
    So the battery is not fairing so well today, on battery for 11 hours, down to 20%. Been using it again all day.
    Anything different you can point to today? Location/reception? Any LTE use?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,974 Global Posts
    PIN
    Forget it

Quote Originally Posted by darylalbert View Post
    Could do that too, just find it odd that most people are saying the 9900 does not last a full day, and I have never had issues lasting into tomorrow.
    Same here. We have several 9930s at work and many are in the field. We can't tolerate or justify a phone not getting a solid work day in, especially with the data we transfer. Very rarely have we had a phone go low on us within a moderate to heavy work day, that being from 7:00 to around 18:00. We've been very happy with the 9930s. That being said, from the "actual" user reports I've seen on Z10s, the Q10s should work great for us, as less screen real estate means longer battery life.
    There are trolls in BlackBerry clothing among us. Report and never reply to obvious troll posts, they will die without responses from you.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,822 Global Posts

My Android doesn't and never has lasted more than about 6 hours of listening to Pandora.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast