13 Hours now at 30%. Been really hammering it now. Spent some time playing Angry Birds Star Wars. More emails and browsing. The phone did get warm when playing Angry Birds.
    thanks for the updates, nice to see an actual owner's experience
    01-31-13 09:01 PM
    Just under 14 hours finally got my first warning that battery has hit 20%. Still actively using it.
    01-31-13 09:53 PM
    ....and it's dead. 14:53 hours.

For the record.
    Screen brightness was set at roughly 75%
    WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC all on
    No LTE (No coverage in my home area)
    01-31-13 10:54 PM
    Murderer.
    01-31-13 11:01 PM

For the record.
    The worrisome aspect of your experiment is the mere 53 minutes to deplete the remaining 20% battery charge despite taking 14 hours to deplete the battery charge by 80%. The final 20% in only 53 minutes must be an artefact of a poorly calibrated battery charge meter.
    01-31-13 11:12 PM
    The worrisome aspect of your experiment is the mere 53 minutes to deplete the remaining 20% battery charge despite taking 14 hours to deplete the battery charge by 80%. The final 20% in only 53 minutes must be an artefact of a poorly calibrated battery charge meter.
    You're nitpicking. That happens with my Android, where the battery discharge rate skyrockets once it hits 20%. I'm pretty sure it's a safeguard against the battery being discharged completely (0%), which would render it unusable.
    01-31-13 11:23 PM
    I don't know of a single device where the battery meter goes down in proportion to the remaining life because the display is a guesstimate at best. All the readout can do is look at how big the battery is, and how much power is left, and say 'This much left'. Whatever it displays has relatively little to do with how long that will last. It's like the fuel indicator in a car. It tells you how much juice is left, not how far you can drive.

Even if it were working perfectly, there are a few obvious reasons why its is almost certainly not 'a poorly calibrated battery charge meter'. First off, its a brand new battery and it takes quite a few charge cycles for it to fully calibrate. Secondly, the x% meter includes the bottom 5 or 10 percent that it won't let you use because burning the battery that low has a good chance of killing it. So 20% battery left normally means you have at most 15% of usable battery life remaining. Thirdly, doing anything more demanding than average like games or movies, will happily churn through the remaining battery life very quickly. If he'd just kept doing e-mail and low-power things, it may well have given him another couple of hours. If he'd just put it down and left it in a drawer, 20% battery can give you 4 or more.

You should know better than to trust battery displays to have any strong connection to reality.

Edit - Bleh beaten to it by moustache cat
    01-31-13 11:37 PM
    I don't know of a single device where the battery meter goes down in proportion to the remaining life because the display is a guesstimate at best. All the readout can do is look at how big the battery is, and how much power is left, and say 'This much left'. Whatever it displays has relatively little to do with how long that will last. It's like the fuel indicator in a car. It tells you how much juice is left, not how far you can drive.

Even if it were working perfectly, there are a few obvious reasons why its is almost certainly not 'a poorly calibrated battery charge meter'. First off, its a brand new battery and it takes quite a few charge cycles for it to fully calibrate. Secondly, the x% meter includes the bottom 5 or 10 percent that it won't let you use because burning the battery that low has a good chance of killing it. So 20% battery left normally means you have at most 15% of usable battery life remaining. Thirdly, doing anything more demanding than average like games or movies, will happily churn through the remaining battery life very quickly. If he'd just kept doing e-mail and low-power things, it may well have given him another couple of hours. If he'd just put it down and left it in a drawer, 20% battery can give you 4 or more.

You should know better than to trust battery displays to have any strong connection to reality.

Edit - Bleh beaten to it by moustache cat
    Mustache cat approves of your post.
    01-31-13 11:42 PM
    What is wrong with having a backup battery with you always? They are very small. I can keep mine in my wallet.

My Z10 dual charger is on order so both batteries are fully charged every day. Need ready for disaster communication!
    bizzyqu and Korepab like this.
    01-31-13 11:49 PM
    Every device I have ever used discharged super fast for the last 20%. Also considering the phone has somewhat small battery its very power efficient. I forgot which review but in one they stated the phone got too hot to use. Maybe cnet. My nexus one also gets too hot when I run emulators on it connected to a charger and wiimote but I think the z10 in cnets review was simply an over exaggeration. I mean my ipod would also get hot, then the non removable battery went to ****. Anyway back to my nexus. Some days I do very little and end up with 83% after 12-14 hours and someday I end the day with a dead phone. It also only takes 4-5 hours of use to kill it. Perhaps the Nexus one just sucks.
    Masahiro likes this.
    02-01-13 12:01 AM
    Mt Droid 3 doesn't make it through a day either.

the public doesn't seem to care. Blackberry said they never thought people would buy a phone (original iPohne) that requires itto be plugged in mid day to recharge. Well, that is the norm now. So this is a moot point. If not, sell your iPhone.
    02-01-13 12:11 AM
    Mt Droid 3 doesn't make it through a day either.

the public doesn't seem to care. Blackberry said they never thought people would buy a phone (original iPohne) that requires itto be plugged in mid day to recharge. Well, that is the norm now. So this is a moot point. If not, sell your iPhone.
    I don't disagree. If the phone does what it is supposed to do in other aspects, I don't think consumers will mind carrying an extra battery and/or charging it midday.
    02-01-13 12:18 AM
    I don't disagree. If the phone does what it is supposed to do in other aspects, I don't think consumers will mind carrying an extra battery and/or charging it midday.
    I would not mind carrying a extra battery with me. I used to carry one with me to work. Left it in my locker until the battery in the phone died. Switched it & was fine for the day. People think that the phones should have bigger batteries. While i do agree, the bigger batteries are bigger which makes the phone bigger & fatter.
    02-01-13 12:20 AM

For the record.
    Ding Ding Ding Jackpot!
    14 hours is beyond expectation for me.
    Thanks for the report.
    02-01-13 01:18 AM
    Here in Indonesia, NOBODY with 9900 and regularly use their BB that I know, can go through 8 to 5 without charging their phones...lol. I'll be one happy camper should Z10 last 8hrs per charge.
    02-01-13 01:26 AM
    This was MobileSyrup's take on Battery. Interesting:

Battery Life
    For the first few days, your BlackBerry Z10 will likely not last the whole day; there is a fair amount of data being synced behind the scenes. Once everything has settled down, you can be certain of at least 10 hours of moderate to heavy usage depending on the number of accounts pushing notifications to your device. Thankfully, RIM thought it prudent to endow the Z10 with a removable battery, and there will be a dual-charging dock available at launch which will charge your phone as well as an extra cell.

In our extensive battery tests, the Z10 lasted just over 10 hours looping a video on 50% brightness with all network connectivity turned off. In our browsing tests, where we had the Z10 reload a page over LTE until the phone died, it lasted roughly eight hours. In other words, the handset, even when used heavily throughout the day, should last as long or longer than the average Android phone, and slightly less than the iPhone 4S and 5.
    Have to quote this again so people can see it. I was a little concerned until reading this... If this is true, I am sure Kevin and the crackberry team will do proper test to confirm it.
    02-01-13 01:37 AM
    I don't have a Z10, but the LTE is a bit of a killer. Someone at my company had a S3 and the battery was dying super fast. She stopped using LTE and the battery life is much improved. What I would like to see is LTE battery + LTE speed comparisons between Z10 and other devices to see if the RIM/BB LTE stack is good or not....
    europolska00 likes this.
    02-01-13 02:29 AM
    All those tests is nothing in real life.

Blackberry 9780 have 6 hrs talk time and 408 stand by, but in real life it can work about two days (i do not switch off 3G, BT, WiFi, using 7 mailboxes, two BES accounts connected, social networks, RSS).
    Blackberry 9900 have 6:30 hrs talk time and 307 hrs of stand time, but... if you got the full light day with 9900 - you're happy.

Blackberry Z10 have 10 hrs talk time and 312 hrs standby. How it will be in REAL LIFE? When you moving in the city, changing networks from 2G/3G/LTE, going to metro, where is no GSM signal, sitting in the bar with bad signal reception, drive in the car, using bluetooth headset/handset?

Spare battery is not good solution, because always when you need it, you'll found that you just forget it at home on the table.
    02-01-13 02:44 AM
    I carry around an extra battery for my Samsung Galaxy S 3 so I'm used to not getting through an entire day. I also use my phone a lot.

I thought I read a while ago that Blackberry was looking to make the life of their battery in their first bb10 phone last exceptionally long?
    Not sure where you read that but it could be talking about Q10, which will have 2100mah battery and smaller screen, so that should have exceptionally long battery life
    02-01-13 04:18 AM
    Wasn't this the reason behind RIM supplying everyone with an extra battery? So your phone would last like 20 hours
    02-01-13 06:03 AM
    My BB9900 lasts about a day and a half with regular usage, and I am on it lots. Are you running any programs in the background? If so, shut them off.
    02-01-13 08:15 AM
    darylalbert, there is a good recipe - you can shutdown smartphone, then battery will last at 13 days. Great result!
    02-01-13 08:16 AM
    Here in Indonesia, NOBODY with 9900 and regularly use their BB that I know, can go through 8 to 5 without charging their phones...lol. I'll be one happy camper should Z10 last 8hrs per charge.
    I didn't like my 9900's battery life (especially compared to the 9700 before it) but I could get through a day on it happily.
    02-01-13 08:28 AM
    Could do that too, just find it odd that most people are saying the 9900 does not last a full day, and I have never had issues lasting into tomorrow.
    darylalbert, there is a good recipe - you can shutdown smartphone, then battery will last at 13 days. Great result!
    02-01-13 08:28 AM
    Wasn't this the reason behind RIM supplying everyone with an extra battery? So your phone would last like 20 hours
    Or a subtle marketing differentiator compared to the iPhone. My 4S can go a work day, but it struggles to do it. The difference is that I can't pop a battery out and pop a new one in.
    02-01-13 08:29 AM
299 ... 23456 ...