Hi,

My blackberry z10 recently stopped responding to the microusb port. It wont charge.

I took it into a repairer and they said it was the microusb port and it needed to be replaced. I got a quote of $100.
    Having soldering knowledge, I decided to order the part and do it myself. I got the part for $10 on ebay and all the tools.

I have taken apart the phone using a guide. I need help with the repair process, I can't seem to find any guide / tutorial on actually repairing / replacing the microusb port, just some guides on how tot ake apart the z10 (which i can do).

Can anyone provide information or link me to any useful guides to replace the micro usb port on a blackberry z10, this is the info i need:

How many point solder is the task?
    Does it require smt or is a general solder fine?
    Is there any specific steps I should take when undergoing this job?
    Is there a guide that will show how to replace the microusb port?

All help is greatly appreciated, Thanks crackberry users!
    Last edited by SniffleZ; 08-09-14 at 11:49 PM. Reason: changed title
    08-09-14 10:37 PM
    Maybe charging a spare battery off a charging bundle then swapping will be an easier alternative

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 10:42 PM
    I appreciate the suggestion, but i already have the part and the tools, I don't find that solution a long term alternative. Someone out here must know of a guide or have done the job to give me sufficient information to proceed, thanks.

PS: That would also make it syncing to the pc with for transfers etc, useless..
    chikitawita likes this.
    08-09-14 10:44 PM
    Can anyone help?
    08-10-14 01:18 PM
    I guess you'll need to improvise.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 01:20 PM
    I guess I'd ask, is it merely soldered? That would seem weak with inserting/removing the cable. I have not looked at any take-apart videos in a while.

There's no place to get a second repair estimate from a laptop/tablet/cell repair joint?
    08-10-14 08:18 PM
    Micro USB ports have 5 small (tiny) leads plus usually there are two larger solder areas for structural support for the port. Generally speaking, micro-usb ports are micro-usb ports. There's probably nothing special or unique about the one in the Z10.

I haven't seen inside a Z10 (I have taken apart my Q5 though) but I can guarantee it will be a surface mount component.

You won't be able to desolder and remove the original without some kind of small hot-air rework tool... well you might, but odds are you would damage the board if you went at it with a soldering pen or gun. If you have never soldered surface-mount and have never done surface-mount rework, odds are you are going to destroy the phone.

The $100 quote is basically because doing board-level rework is a skilled job.

Edited to add- just looked at a z10 mainboard and the microUSB is held down by four extra solder points, not two. (Which is good, makes it a much stronger physical connection). There are the usual five small leads. There's other stuff though very close to the USB port, on both sides of the board.
    Last edited by StephanieMaks; 08-10-14 at 08:40 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-10-14 08:30 PM
    The rear housing and POP come out easy enough on the z10. Just need small Torx screwdriver to remove the fasteners.

I'm pretty sure that the USB port is right on the main board although I don't remember which side. If you need to take the board out be careful removing the flex connectors, there's adhesive holding them down.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 02:33 AM
    Not had a look at the Z10 but I did try (unsuccessfully) with a Playbook. Looking at replacement ports on Ebay they look the same. The actual connection pins are press fit against the PCB. You solder the four legs of the earth shield. I'll leave you to check out the playbook repairs on YouTube and make your own decision
    08-11-14 05:21 AM
    Edited/deleted
    Last edited by anischab; 08-11-14 at 07:50 AM.
    08-11-14 07:25 AM
    Edited/deleted
    Last edited by anischab; 08-11-14 at 07:50 AM.
    08-11-14 07:32 AM

Found how to replace a micro USB...
    I would not do it myself!!

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    08-11-14 07:49 AM