I've been to three stores today (O2, Carphone Warehouse and Phones 4 U) trying to buy a Z10. All three of them had it in stock in the store and advertised as available either SIM free or pay as you go (a contract isn't worth it for my usage pattern). All three of them said that they couldn't sell me the phone because I didn't want a contract!

I can't explain how frustrating it is to be in a store and wanting to hand over almost �500 and not being allowed to because they won't make as much profit out of me.

Rant over!
    scunliffe likes this.
    02-16-13 12:05 PM
    I know it's very very annoying!

I was lucky to find a Phones4u to sell me one on launch weekend. But I have been down this road before with other phones.

Z10 is selling well in the UK so they want to shift them on contacts as they make more money.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-16-13 12:10 PM
    Wow thats insane.. It doesnt suprise me one bit thou...
    02-16-13 12:31 PM
    Same in Vancouver

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    02-16-13 12:33 PM
    That's a poor show, but I can see their plan. Hope you get one soon.
    A friend had similar the day they launched. Insisted they call head office, who authorised the sale

mhmediaonline likes this.
    02-16-13 12:35 PM
    What's strange is that both Carphone Warehouse and Phones4u sell it sim-free online via their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-16-13 12:38 PM
    I've been to three stores today (O2, Carphone Warehouse and Phones 4 U) trying to buy a Z10. All three of them had it in stock in the store and advertised as available either SIM free or pay as you go (a contract isn't worth it for my usage pattern). All three of them said that they couldn't sell me the phone because I didn't want a contract!

I can't explain how frustrating it is to be in a store and wanting to hand over almost �500 and not being allowed to because they won't make as much profit out of me.

Rant over!
    Given your stated use case why not buy the BlackBerry Z10 on a Pay-as-You-Go plan? That is as close to no contract as you can get without a contract. I am sure the BlackBerry black market will sell you a BlackBerry Z10.
    02-16-13 12:41 PM
    Yea this is the case here in Canada as well. I was only able to buy one because my buddy works at fido.

They use your need to have the phone as a leverage. I actually watched my buddy refuse another guy the pro without signing up for a contract

02-16-13 12:46 PM
    Same thing happened with me when the 9900 came out. After a month I was able to buy it out right. Doesn't make sense to me that they flat out refuse my money.

02-16-13 12:50 PM
    Looks like Kevin is having the same problem...

scunliffe likes this.
    02-16-13 12:52 PM
    that's bullocks!!! you demand to them you want it how you do because you are the customer. they are only there to assist and advise (even then they barely do the first). you show them the money and request nicely then demand it. you as a customer " don't get told what you want, you tell them what you want and they provide". there should be laws agsinst such actions
    02-16-13 12:53 PM
    Why is BBRY dont selling The phones Self unlocked like Apple?? Really Crazy , ppl want buy The phone but they are Not able!! How you Wanna survive BBRY?
    02-16-13 12:55 PM
    It sucks but we can't force them to sell to us. Working in Retail I find been overly nice is the best plan lol.

02-16-13 01:00 PM

Rant over!
    i know what ya mean, i used to work in a store in uk (not one of those you mentioned) and we wouldnt sell `box only` contract phones if we had less than 2 phones in stock. basically we made far greater margins on contracts. its kinda sad but thats how it goes these days.

on the plus side (well, not for you i guess) it shows that theres still good demand for devices if stores feel they need to hold them for contract sales. i know that doesnt help your situation, but if you buy from them online it`ll come from their warehouse, where you wont have the `2 left in the store` situation standing in your way.
    02-16-13 01:01 PM
    Bought two today in London at phones4u without any problems.

02-16-13 01:16 PM
    Why is BBRY dont selling The phones Self unlocked like Apple?? Really Crazy , ppl want buy The phone but they are Not able!! How you Wanna survive BBRY?
    I don't think this is up to BlackBerry at this point its the carriers screwing us. They want to prey on us with 3yr contracts saying "Well you're getting the phone cheap so you have to sell us your soul for 3yrs" but when you walk in with cash money (I did so last year with the 9790) they give you the run around. Because they won't have their teeth into you for the next 3 yrs. The carriers want it both ways. And there's not much we can do about it but bend over and say "Thanks! Just harder this time! Here's my wallet "

It would be nice if BlackBerry sold them directly to customers but I bet the carriers wound have a fit.

Sorry for the rant. Wireless carriers just **** me off. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

/full disclosure : I work for Bell but in engineering. Nothing to do with sales or consumer hardware.

MERCDROID likes this.
    02-16-13 01:38 PM
    It happened the same to me, at the end I asked a Carphone Warehouse guy to check where they had more stock and call to verify if i could get the phone there... All Carphone Warehouse stores had the Z10 stock between 1-4 (he showed me the screen but didn't let me take a pic) except for the Selfridges store that had 379.
    02-16-13 01:57 PM
    mayeb they don't want you buying one off contract and makign a profit sellign them on e bay
    02-16-13 02:02 PM
    Thanks for the tips. I think I'm going to try a bigger Phones4U store tomorrow and see how I get on. Incidentally, the P4U store today told me that if they tried to put the phone through the checkout as PAYG, it would come up as �1,000 and that their website only lists the phone off contract "because they have to", but that it wouldn't let me buy it online if I tried. I smelt bull and left at this point.
    02-16-13 02:05 PM
    mayeb they don't want you buying one off contract and makign a profit sellign them on e bay
    This is what Carphone Warehouse said. I can see their point, but it still annoys me that they wouldn't take my money.
    02-16-13 02:06 PM
    Yeahhhh I get why they do this. But I dont agree. Whatever happened to customer satisfaction/happiness?
    switcharoo likes this.
    02-16-13 02:06 PM
    I got mine on the first day without a contract. The fellow had to go ask his colleague first though. I think they only did ut because I pre-ordered it, so it didn't affect their stock.

02-16-13 02:10 PM
    i got mine at 9am on launch day sim free from carphone warehouse no problem at all! first one sold in that store. just keep trying, maybe go to the small stores and see.
    02-16-13 02:13 PM
    This is what Carphone Warehouse said. I can see their point, but it still annoys me that they wouldn't take my money.
    and at this point i can understand it as there are still places in the world where the device is in demand and it still hasn't been released, i know its frustrating but it is what it is nothign we can really do about it
    02-16-13 02:18 PM
    How does a retail store make more money from a contract sale? The contract is with the carrier not the store.
    02-16-13 02:19 PM
92 123 ...