Hey, All!

So, this morning I received a BBM picture msg and upon opening the picture I find the quality to be terrible.
    The picture was sent from a Z10 and received on Z10..

In return I took a picture and sent it over bbm and again the picture was reduced to a terrible resolution. All the way to 10KB from 1.2MB.

I knew the MMS was a problem but now same problem with BBM..

I doubt anyone has a solution for this but aren't you guys frustrated about this?

I mean I had a dumbphone back in 2009 and that phone was able to send and receive high Quality images..

And yes if anyone is going to tell me to stop complaining please don't bother replying..
    04-12-13 10:02 PM
    After you receive the picture in BBM, long press on it.

From action menu on right, select HQ. That stands for High Quality, and requests a full-res version of the image to be sent to you.
    tatail and CDM76 like this.
    04-12-13 10:09 PM
    After you receive the picture in BBM, long press on it.

From action menu on right, select HQ. That stands for High Quality, and requests a full-res version of the image to be sent to you.
    Thanks for the reply, honestly didn't know about it..
    But why all the hustle? Why not sent it high quality the first time?
    04-12-13 10:22 PM
    Thanks for the reply, honestly didn't know about it..
    But why all the hustle? Why not sent it high quality the first time?
    Save data
    yvpan1 likes this.
    04-12-13 10:28 PM
    Right..

In the whole universe of Unlimited DATA and all these data sucker apps BB 10 is the only OS worried a mere 1MB..

Why not leave to the user to choose what he/she wants?
    04-12-13 10:33 PM
    I agree with this.
    I think there should be an option for user to decide between their default being high quality, low quality, or maybe queue high quality download when Wi-Fi available.
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-12-13 10:41 PM
    I was going to take your advice and not reply but then you posted another negative post. The first was full of negatively and politely answered, but for some reason you could not let it go.
    So, for many people in many countries, limiting data and increasing speed is a benefit worth having.
    Read some of the other forums and you will see many people liked that feature of the BIS.

Posted via CB10
    AbsoluteT23, yvpan1, CDM76 and 2 others like this.
    04-12-13 10:47 PM
    I was going to take your advice and not reply but then you posted another negative post. The first was full of negatively and politely answered, but for some reason you could not let it go.
    So, for many people in many countries, limiting data and increasing speed is a benefit worth having.
    Read some of the other forums and you will see many people liked that feature of the BIS.

Posted via CB10
    I get where you're coming from, but I think he was just upset at not having the option to choose for himself. I think that's fair enough.
    That way we can all have it our way.
    04-12-13 10:53 PM
    Right..

In the whole universe of Unlimited DATA and all these data sucker apps BB 10 is the only OS worried a mere 1MB..

Maybe you have unlimited data but some ppl don't so it should be the choice of the sender on how much data they want to use when sending something.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 11:09 PM
    I get where you're coming from, but I think he was just upset at not having the option to choose for himself. I think that's fair enough.
    That way we can all have it our way.
    But you do have the choice. Long press for hq. I don't get what's the big deal with one long press.
    It's efficient the way it is.
    The op came in here with his negativity, assuming there was no way to get hq pictures, and when he was told there is an option, he still thought it was necessary to complain.

Posted via CB10
    fbloise likes this.
    04-12-13 11:23 PM
    Right..

well ... SOME people (ie: me) only have limited data. In Canada you are hard pressed to find unlimited plans. The higher plans here usually cap out around 6GB. My plan is 1GB and I am often right around 700-800megs since I switched to Z10.

For people in my position it is preferred. And if I had the option I would set it to low quality, unless on wifi. I really like the idea of having the option of High Qual/Lower Qual/High Qual only on wifi.
    04-12-13 11:23 PM
    But you do have the choice. Long press for hq. I don't get what's the big deal with one long press.
    It's efficient the way it is.
    The op came in here with his negativity, assuming there was no way to get hq pictures, and when he was told there is an option, he still thought it was necessary to complain.

Posted via CB10
    Okay here is my situation and what really made me come up with this thread..

A month ago I was in Australia where I got traffic violation ticket while driving around..

I asked my friend who resides there to do me a favor and get me pictures of the intersection for which I was issued the ticket.

You might already know that there is day night difference between the local time New York and Australia time, so, while I was sleeping my friend sent me the pictures which I had requested on BBM and he was smart enough to get rid of them as soon as it had shown sent..

Now here comes the kicker, I wake up in the morning I find these low resolution pictures.. Upon request for higher Quality what do I get? Exactly, Nothing...

I am sure you will face this issue one day, but I hope by then there is a workaround...

But again why waste the bandwidth twice? If you are getting the picture twice isn't that also waste of data?

It is just my personal opinion that the user should be able to choose how much quality of the attachment should be reduced..
    04-13-13 03:39 PM
    The main problem as I see it is that this option was changed without notification . It has always been hi-res in the past and I was fine with it. Now all of a sudden the quality is the worst. Even looking at peoples BBM profile pics , the quality is so bad you can hardly decipher the image. If you are able to afford a $600 dollar phone I find it amusing that you would be pinching pennies on data charges and willing to accept brutal quality images to save a few bucks every month. People aren't usually concerned with data charges that are so minimal with a higher quality picture being sent. Im sure it will be addressed with an update because high end smartphones should not IMO default to basic crappy settings forcing the user to choose to see a higher quality image after 10 years of having the higher quality image being the default. Its a step backwards.
    Furthermore, to the posters ragging on a the OP for "being negative" you really need to give it a rest. We all love BB but that doesn't mean it is perfect. Iwill defend my BB against anyone using an alternative but that doesn't mean they get a free pass on these issues There are several really lame issues with the Z10 that should have been addressed along time ago IMO. Things like not being able to delete twitter messages in the hub without them coming back in 20 minutes and the constant phantom app world update notifications when there is nothing to update. While not huge issues with the overall performance of the Z10 they are annoying and should have been fixed already. Yeah yeah, "updates are coming" blah blah blah. Just get it done already. The Z10 is an awesome phone all around, why does BB choose to let these basic little issues drag their product down for so long?
    05-05-13 10:56 AM
    You dont buy a Ferrari if you want to drive an automatic, why then would you buy a smartphone to have it act like a dummy? If you are so concerned with data charges go get a motorola flip phone and save yourself a fortune.
    05-05-13 11:05 AM
    BBM has always sent low quality and required a high quality request. My girlfriend and I both had 9930s before I got my Z10 and you always needed to choose request higher quality after receiving.

If you use BBM you should know this and in your scenario they should have sent an email with attachments or uploaded to a cloud service.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 11:14 AM
    Bunch of people whining about this. Just use the freaking "request HQ" option.

All other IM like whatsapp, imessage also send a very low quality picture.

If you need an app to send full sized, I recommend to move to skype.

Period

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 11:26 AM
    It's simple. You may have unlimited data. The person who sent you the pic may not. Or vice versa.. I may not want all your pictures coming larger. And not every pic needs to be.

No option on your phone can or should force another user to increase their data use.

If higher quality us required and they aren't around to accept the request.. email. Dropbox. Ftp. Etc etc etc..

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 11:27 AM
    BBM has always sent low quality and required a high quality request. My girlfriend and I both had 9930s before I got my Z10 and you always needed to choose request higher quality after receiving.

If you use BBM you should know this and in your scenario they should have sent an email with attachments or uploaded to a cloud service.

Posted via CB10
    Thats not the case for me. I have NEVER had poor quality images come through on BBM as a default. Not once. And its not just when people send me pictures, its when i look at their BBM profile pic. It is a new problem for me, the last few days only. So this is a major downgrade in service quality IMO.
    05-05-13 11:49 AM
    It's simple. You may have unlimited data. The person who sent you the pic may not. Or vice versa.. I may not want all your pictures coming larger. And not every pic needs to be.

No option on your phone can or should force another user to increase their data use.

If higher quality us required and they aren't around to accept the request.. email. Dropbox. Ftp. Etc etc etc..

Posted via CB10
    I disagree.....the image should be sent as it was taken, then giving the user the option to save the data if they so choose and accept a lower quality image. People crying over a little data here or there.....why did you buy a high performance phone if you want it to perform like a clunker?
    05-05-13 11:52 AM
    Bunch of people whining about this. Just use the freaking "request HQ" option.

All other IM like whatsapp, imessage also send a very low quality picture.

If you need an app to send full sized, I recommend to move to skype.

Period

Posted via CB10
    Agqain not the case for me. My pics have always been very clear and of good quality until the last few days. Now you can hardly see the image you are trying to look at. This could be two different issues been mistaken for the same issue here.
    05-05-13 11:53 AM
    Okay here is my situation and what really made me come up with this thread..

A month ago I was in Australia where I got traffic violation ticket while driving around..

I asked my friend who resides there to do me a favor and get me pictures of the intersection for which I was issued the ticket.

You might already know that there is day night difference between the local time New York and Australia time, so, while I was sleeping my friend sent me the pictures which I had requested on BBM and he was smart enough to get rid of them as soon as it had shown sent..

Now here comes the kicker, I wake up in the morning I find these low resolution pictures.. Upon request for higher Quality what do I get? Exactly, Nothing...

I am sure you will face this issue one day, but I hope by then there is a workaround...

But again why waste the bandwidth twice? If you are getting the picture twice isn't that also waste of data?

It is just my personal opinion that the user should be able to choose how much quality of the attachment should be reduced..
    I suppose that's a decent enough analogy, but what is so hush hush about this intersection that you would need your friend to clandestinely send you hi-res pictures and then delete the originals?

The answer to this issue is simply efficiency. It's more efficient (in terms of speed and data transfer) to simply send a low res pic (with the option of hi-res) than to initially send a large one.
    I suppose it would be nice to have the choice in your options, but the smart way is just as is. I guess BlackBerry deemed it should be as such because it is a smartphone.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10
    05-05-13 12:01 PM
    I don't wanna talk about the OP's easily solvable issues, but since switching to the Z10, did you guys notice that photos are much more compressed when sent via BBM as opposed to those sent on legacy devices? It was usually 30-40kb photos on older BlackBerries, now it's hardly ever above 20. I was just able to send an image that was automatically compressed down to 7kb.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 01:36 PM
    So when BIS is dropped, it's 'progress'. Because no one cares about saving data.
    Unlimited plans are everywhere.
    Then when BBM still hyper compresses images and doesn't offer the option to turn that off as a default, it's a good 'feature' because people love to save data.

I'm sorry, you can't have your cake and eat it.
    Either dropping BIS was a mistake, or making compressed images an unchangeable option is a mistake.
    05-05-13 02:22 PM
    Thats not the case for me. I have NEVER had poor quality images come through on BBM as a default. Not once. And its not just when people send me pictures, its when i look at their BBM profile pic. It is a new problem for me, the last few days only. So this is a major downgrade in service quality IMO.
    BBM always send low quality picture at first, they used BIS before and all BIS data is compressed. Also, the option of requesting higher quality picture has always been there.
    Maybe it looks worse now because before now, blackberry never had a device featuring 365 ppi screen resolution. It's no rocket science that low res pictures looks worse on high res screen vs low res screen.

As of why BBM default is low res images, Blackberry needs to cater everyone in the world (which is why they have STL1/2/3/4), and in some part of the world, bandwidth is still expensive. You may have unlimited data plan, but the one you're talking to may not, and not all the pictures sent via BBM is important picture. Sometimes it's just your friend saw a dog stealing a man's lunch and he/she thought it was funny, then he/she decided to take a picture of it and share it to you. You don't really need a high res image of that do you?
    Beside bandwidth limitation, some part of the world also still on slow data connection. Smaller file means faster transfer.
    At least they make an option for your to request higher quality picture, and if the sender is on "restricted" data bandwidth, they have the option to decline your request too.
    05-05-13 02:34 PM
    Yeah this is giving my BlackBerry a bad rep around here -- wish there was a setting or something we could set

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 02:36 PM
29 12