Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default QWERTY users who switched to Z10

Hey everyone,

I've been a die hard BB fan and I'm in love with the keyboard on my 9900. I've heard nothing but great things about the Z10 keyboard and more screen real estate would be nice.

1.However for those of you who switched from a QWERTY device to a Z10, how is the keyboard on it?

2. is it as fast as typing on QWERTY?

3.Also do you get any strain when typign out long e mail on a touch screen?

4. Any opinions from people who transitioned from QWERTY to Z10 would be appreciated.
    CrackBerry User

1: Keyboard is pretty good as far it can be good for an touch keyboard.

2: defenitly not , with my 9900 i could compose e-mail and text messages a lot faster . I just keep looking at the keyboard if im hitting te right letter.

3 : With some practice this must be possible

4: Just try , i wouldnt switch back to qwerty and lose the big screen . Loved the qwerty keyboard on the 9900 ... accept for the tiny screen you always have to look at
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    921 Global Posts

Love, love love the keyboard on my Z10, came from a 9700 that I could write a book on!

You can pretty much type rubbish and the word correction still gets it right 99.9% of the time. It's amazing. I never ever thought I would say that. Never going back to a keyboard BB, I am totally sold on my Z10. It's a fantastic mobile phone. My GF has a 9900 which some consider to be the best typing experience of any BB to date. My Z10 smokes that phone now. I am sure keyboard lovers will really enjoy the Q10.

If you can spend any time with the Z10 you will see what I am talking about.

Love having a full size screen too!
    Last edited by bigbadben10; 03-12-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    Spawn12 and billsterjito like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts

Its so much easier typing on touch and with the auto correct. It makes it beautiful. I had a 9790 and I like touch screen typing just as much but that a10 is one hot phone

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Available upon request.

The keyboard is pretty fantastic.

I can type with 95% confidence, just gotta be more careful because I tend to use made up words.

The one thing I miss are the short cuts. "R" to reply, "T" for top of page, "C" to compose, etc....but with Type and Go coming with 10.1, that may slightly change.
    XoXoXo
    CrackBerry Addict

1. Amazing.

2. Now I type as fast as I did on my 9900, in the starting I was slow but caught up quick and got used it and love every second of it now.

3. Nope, in fact I love to type long emails on this phone, the flow of the keyboard is amazing and makes me wanna use it forever lol.

4. The flicking will slow you down, so I only use the flicking when I am texting with one hand, but when im texting with two hands I just ignore the suggestions because the keyboard's auto correct is spot on!

Posted via CB10
    bigbadben10 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Upgraded to Z10 from Bold 9900. Was slow to a get adjusted to full touch screen keyboard but quickly got adapted. I'm typing as fast as I can with my Z10 as I used to with the Bold 9900; the combination of swiping + auto predictive word correction are amazing.

Love the Z10 =)

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,405 Global Posts

Came from a 9900... it's keyboard is simply amazing. Could be able to type without looking and get it right allll the time. Was going to wait for the Q10 but, having seen the Z10 I had to have it. Keyboard experience on full touch was always iffy (absolutely hate typing on my note). The Z10 however, is such a joy to use, i never thought i would have liked typing on glass as much as i do now. The swipe is excellent for one handed use and becomes second nature after a while. The auto correct though is amazing, you can see yourself typing incorrectly and then magically adjusts to what you want to say...never had a touchscreen keyboard impress me so much.

The more you use it, the more it adjusts to you and the faster you type...
    bigbadben10 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

I love the keyboard. I wasn't sure at first either, because I had tried multiple different touchscreen keyboards before and hated them. This is about as close to the real thing as I think anyone can get. Autocorrect is really nice, and the thumb swipes make one-handed typing a breeze!

The benefit to the touch input keyboard is that buttons can't break or stop working. You won't suddenly find that the Y key isn't as functional as it used to be. That, and there are less places for liquids to sneak into.
    If I've helped you or given you a healthy dose of reality, click the Like or Thanks button
    Thanked by:
    bigbadben10 (03-11-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Coming from the 9900, typing has taken me a bit to get used to but I'm onboard now. My only gripe with the all touch is no more single press and hold calling shortcuts. Press and hold M for Mom, press and hold P for Papa Johns Pizza.

The Zed10 has presets in the phone/contacts but it's not the same as simply holding down M for Mom when sick and you need your mommy to comfort you................er I mean to remind you how long to cook the chicken for.

All in all, as a former die hard qwerty guy, I can honestly say, the Z10 puts just about every misonception about all touch devices to bed. Go on and give a try. You won't regret it.
    This message was most likely posted from my PlayBook LTE, or my White Zed 10, or perhaps my HP laptop on my 10's wifi hotspot. Point is, BlackBerry played a part in this message!!
    Cyclingdaddy likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

1) I'm really getting to like it

2) Almost, I'm getting there

3) No

4) Still finding it a bit difficult at times to swipe suggested words into the text area, especially if they're at extreme ends of the keyboard. With practice I'll get there though, this is the first full touch screen phone I've owned
    Curve 6300 | Bold 9790 | Z10
    CrackBerry User

Im not a full convert yet but am getting there. I do find it difficult to type with one hand but that could be because of the difference between in size between the Z and my 9900. I also find myself hitting the send key often when texting or bbming because of where it is located. I know others have mentioned this as well.

As someone pointed out I think the swiping does slow you down when typing but this could be something corrected with continued use and practice.

I plan on picking up a Q10 when it arrives and see which I prefer before going to a single phone. But I sure do like the ZED so far. A lot.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

Having recently switched from the 9900 to the Z10, I was initially apprehensive about the onscreen keyboard. I was pleasantly surprised! It's surprisingly usable, and has improved over time as I get used to it. I like the word suggestions as they save typing long words in full - such as onomatopoeia (not that I use that word with any frequency, but just an example!) On the flip side, I do miss the keyboard shortcuts for jumping to the top or deleting items. It's a trade-off, but I think with the larger screen it is worthwhile.

Interestingly, I prefer typing in portrait rather than landscape. In portrait mode the spacing and sizing is *almost* just right; in landscape mode, the keys are bigger, and require more reach to hit them all.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadben10 View Post
    Love, love love the keyboard on my Z10, came from a 9700 that I could write a book on!

You can pretty much type rubbish and the word correction still gets it right 99.9% of the time. It's amazing. I never ever thought I would say that. Never going back to a keyboard BB, I am totally sold on my Z10. It's a fantastic mobile phone. My GF has a 9900 which some consider to be the best typing experience of any BB to date. My Z10 smokes that phone now. I am sure keyboard lovers will really enjoy the X10.

If you can spend any time with the Z10 you will see what I am talking about.

Love having a full size screen too!
    X10? Is that going to be with a slide out keyboard. LOL
    CrackBerry Genius

I can type like a motha on my z10! Much faster then my 9810. Secret is don't look, just type....as fast as your fingers can, don't worry about the mistakes, it will magically correct them ......correctly
    CrackBerry Master

I am a convert. Switch on all the assistance options. Think "Words " instead of "Letters" and you shall be converted.

Now, a real keyboard is a bit better, but everything else is so much better, it is worth the change.

Posted via CB10
    8800>9000>9700>9900>Z10>Q10

PlayBook
    CrackBerry Abuser

Came from the bold 9000, to the torch 9800, to the curve 9300, to the bold 9900, then to the Z10 (Zed 10 )

I now type faster on the Z10 than the physical keyboard. I love the real estate on this phone.

It's my experience that there is much less cramping with the Z10, this is probably due to there being much less keystrokes.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Master

I always type portrait by the way.

Posted via CB10
    8800>9000>9700>9900>Z10>Q10

PlayBook

I just switched from the 9900 to the Z over the weekend. I'm now almost as fast with the Z as I was with the 9900! And, I haven't actually gotten to the swiping up if words yet. I'm just hammering away and letting the predictive auto correct do its stuff. Pretty good results so far.

You need to get some hands on time with a Z to appreciate it.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

I had the 9900, with the Z10 I can type faster give it a week to get used to but with the insane auto correct it fixes all the errors for you, so you can type as fast as you feel like. One thing I cant do it type without looking at the screen unlike on the 9900 I could. Another positive is one handed typing, the Z10 is very good at this because of the word suggestions, you barley have to press any keys to get a sentence across. Its easily the best touch screen keyboard and I would go as far as saying best keyboard I've used on a phone, 9900 included and don't get me wrong that keyboard was a dream.
    uptownnate likes this.
    CrackBerry User

I upgraded to a Z10 from a 9800 and I just love the Z10 keyboard. I don't care what keys I press cause it seems to know what I want to type.
    With the 9800 I was constantly backspacing my mistakes now I very rarely backspace and my typing is way faster then before
    Even my wife notices her BBMs ate responded to quicker, no looking at that " is writing a message" for 5 minutes anymore

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,631 Global Posts

I love the touch screen. Didn't think I would. Physical keyboard guy all the way. Now I wouldn't want to give up the screen real estate!!

Posted via CB10
    pandapurple likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,399 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BernFlo View Post
    X10? Is that going to be with a slide out keyboard. LOL
    That is the name the Q10 was originally rumoured to have
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts

I'm pretty fast with the touch screen and the auto correct is is pretty smart it generally knows that I'm trying to say I very rarely use the flick feature though. I came from the torch 9800 so maybe I'm just used to touch typing. I also have a PlayBook

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2674F37B

Came from a 9800, miss the physical keys every now and again but the keyboard on this is the best touch screen that I have ever tried and tested, really responsive and intuitive and just what I wanted out of a touchscreen phone even though I wasn't sure to start with I am now!

Posted via CB10
    Curve 9300 > Torch 9800 > BlackBerry Z10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast