I have never been out of the USA in the cellphone era and I need some help. I am traveling to Japan with my family and I presently have a Z10 on T Mobile. I would really like to be connected while I am there and I have no idea where to start.

Do I need to get my phone unlocked? Do I just try and find out what T mobile charges for roaming, etc?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    06-03-13 01:42 PM
    I have never been out of the USA in the cellphone era and I need some help. I am traveling to Japan with my family and I presently have a Z10 on T Mobile. I would really like to be connected while I am there and I have no idea where to start.

Do I need to get my phone unlocked? Do I just try and find out what T mobile charges for roaming, etc?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Best advice on travelling: Unlock device and buy a SIM card in the local area with a provider on a month to month plan or a prepaid plan
    SRVwannab likes this.
    06-03-13 01:51 PM
    I am on ATT so haven't reviewed T Mobile. My advise depends on how long you will be in Japan and how many phone calls and data you expect to use. My overseas trips are typically a week or less and to different countries so obtaining and keeping track of a SIM in each country is time consuming. Longer visits and/or always to the same country, then a local SIM card and forwarding your USA phone number to that number works very well and is less expensive. For my frequent, short trips, I have purchased a global data package and world phone option from ATT. The phone rates are higher than local SIMs but I mainly use e-mail. The data package is smaller and I just watch that I don't do any huge downloads on the phone unless it is on wifi but it gets me real time e-mail. Also I signed up for a "voice mail to e-mail" so I get the gist of any phone messages that I decide not to answer, voice to text results in some interesting reading!
    SRVwannab likes this.
    06-03-13 02:05 PM
    TMobile will unlock your phone for free after 40 days of ownership... so you may as well do that in case you want to go with a sim when you are there.
    06-03-13 02:08 PM
    not sure about the rates for roaming to japan but to china with tmobile are very low so depending on the days you will be there it might be better to just get their international roaming plan.
    SRVwannab likes this.
    06-03-13 11:39 PM
    Best advice on travelling: Unlock device and buy a SIM card in the local area with a provider on a month to month plan or a prepaid plan
    Thank you for the great advice! We went to Japan, had a wonderful time and I appreciate the community helping me with this question.
    06-21-13 07:52 PM
    Be sure you call T-Mo and have them turn on your international calling services. It cost nothing and don't know why you have to, but I think you still do. Also, depending on when you are going, T-Mo BBerry Z10 is supposed to get wifi-calling by August. This means whenever you have wifi you can make all your calls free. That is, it's as if your phone were still in your home carrier. Of course, if you call long distance numbers, they will still be considered long distance. However, anyone can call you from your ordinary calling area -- and you can call them -- free. Once off wifi, watch out.
    06-21-13 08:07 PM