Quick question to anyone who knows:

Will the Z10 (& other BB10 devices) still use data compression or will that become a thing of the past? With LTE data transfer will definitely be faster, but will data stream remain compressed or will the phone be like other "superphones" using regular data?

Cheers!
    Novaone and austriker like this.
    01-04-13 11:19 PM
    Ooooooo-kay....

Thx anyways
    01-06-13 08:18 AM
    As far as I'm aware, this isn't yet clear, and we will have to wait to find out the definitive answers. It was confirmed that BIS is still being utilised, but to what extent is unknown. I'd imagine it would be used for push notifications with perhaps browsing data now skipping the system due to LTE? I'm only speculating.
    kolok likes this.
    01-06-13 08:30 AM
    It would be awesome if there was a choice between BIS and just regular TCP/IP. Using BIS in other countries when travelling gets complicated. Recently I've been travelling and my BlackBerry wont connect to BIS through wifi. So I have to use Kik instead.
    01-06-13 11:39 AM
    So any additional word on data compression and whether the Z10 and X10 (plus future bb10 devices) still use data compression, or will they suck regular data like android, iphone devices?
    01-11-13 10:03 AM
    Currently at a local mall and asked the compression question at a few cell stores. I am getting the impression that the new BB10 operating system will not be compressing data like it previously did. I hope they are wrong but I am now hearing it from more than one source. If you think about it, its a way for the providers to make more money so it makes sense. Hope this information turns out to be false but 10 more days til we know for sure. I also heard that there could be NEW promotional plans with new BB10 hardware so you might want to hold off on locking in to something else until the launch date! I know I will be waiting for sure.....If anyone knows any different, please do not hesitate to reply to this

thanks in advance
    01-20-13 01:53 PM
    [QUOTE=rebroker2009;7870957]I am getting the impression that the new BB10 operating system will not be compressing data like it previously did. I hope they are wrong but I am now hearing it from more than one source. If you think about it, its a way for the providers to make more money so it makes sense.QUOTE]

In Canada, we get screwed for the data-capped 5GB data plans and there are no unlimited data plans from the major wireless carriers outside of TO.
    01-20-13 02:03 PM
    one of BlackBerrys competitive advantage IS data compression.

hard to see BlackBerry drop that feature.
    01-20-13 02:55 PM
    It's a tough question. Since there will still be BIS there presumably will be some degree of compression going on. Buuuuuut..

It wouldn't surprise me to see them make the browser direct TCP/IP. Something that Craig said years ago on one of the podcasts was that compression isn't as helpful for the modern internet as you might think. Text you can compress, no worries. But text isn't using much of your data. Video and audio, you can't realistically compress much more than they already are. They will already be compressed as much as realistically possible on the other end, and BIS can't change that no matter how much it tries. So realistically, BIS can't really help you avoid hitting your data cap, since video and audio are the two big data-munchers. And the worst thing is that BIS slows down your browsing by a pretty noticeable degree. A BB takes longer to load pages because its taking extra hops to go via BIS, and while its only a couple of seconds, its why BBs feel less fluid and fast than competitors, even though its nothing to do with CPU or what have you. The data just takes logner to get there.

For you guys who are burning through 5GB... How are you managing that? Seriously. What do you do that is pulling that much data?
    01-20-13 10:23 PM
    For you guys who are burning through 5GB... How are you managing that? Seriously. What do you do that is pulling that much data?
    I just hit 5.2GB last month on my 9900's 6GB plan. I stream radio from tunein (and nobex on my pb) and tether with my playbook on a daily basis. I am also concerned about data compression on bb10.
    Attached Thumbnails question on data usage Z10-munch_2013_01_10_080643.png  
    01-21-13 01:01 AM
    I just hit 5.2GB last month on my 9900's 6GB plan. I stream radio from tunein (and nobex on my pb) and tether with my playbook on a daily basis. I am also concerned about data compression on bb10.
    It's almost impressive that you can use that much data. I know people have done it by doing stupid things on Android (did you know there's bit-torrent clients for android phones?) but never met someone who has used that much on a BB. I don't really know what to suggest. I don't think that you are benefitting from compression at the moment because BIS simply can't down-scale audio in real time like that, so I wouldn't imagine you'll be using more data on BB10 regardless of what happens with BIS.

If it makes you feel any better, over here 2GB is the most you'll get. EE offer 3, 5 and 8 GB plans, but at EXTREME cost. At the moment I'm happily surviving on 500mb of data but I carry all my media around with me so its just surfing that touches my data cap. My commute takes me through tunnel after tunnel then onto the underground, so streaming isn't really an option.
    01-21-13 05:36 AM
    It's almost impressive that you can use that much data. I know people have done it by doing stupid things on Android (did you know there's bit-torrent clients for android phones?) but never met someone who has used that much on a BB. I don't really know what to suggest. I don't think that you are benefitting from compression at the moment because BIS simply can't down-scale audio in real time like that, so I wouldn't imagine you'll be using more data on BB10 regardless of what happens with BIS.

If it makes you feel any better, over here 2GB is the most you'll get. EE offer 3, 5 and 8 GB plans, but at EXTREME cost. At the moment I'm happily surviving on 500mb of data but I carry all my media around with me so its just surfing that touches my data cap. My commute takes me through tunnel after tunnel then onto the underground, so streaming isn't really an option.
    good to know the streamed data i'm using right now isn't compressed. i shouldnt have to worry about it being any different on BB10 then. what is this EXTREME cost you speak of? i thought canadians have the worst value for satellite/tv/cellular/landline service in the world. each month I pay $30 for my 6GB of data on top of $40 for the other stuff in my plan.
    01-22-13 02:24 PM
    An option in the US is Solavei for $49/mo, no contract, and unlimited LTE everything...of course, that means paying for an unlocked phone.
    01-22-13 02:38 PM
    My z10 is burning through the data I get a month at a ugly rate any word on any warning apps for usage or something that will help me manage my data?
    02-02-13 06:48 PM
    My z10 is burning through the data I get a month at a ugly rate any word on any warning apps for usage or something that will help me manage my data?
    seriously? is this just regular browsing or streaming something?
    02-02-13 07:29 PM
    Well music is not necessarily compressible so BIS or not, you'd get the same amount of data usage for things like TuneIn or Nobex. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty confident in that.
    02-02-13 07:33 PM
    Quick question to anyone who knows:

Will the Z10 (& other BB10 devices) still use data compression or will that become a thing of the past? With LTE data transfer will definitely be faster, but will data stream remain compressed or will the phone be like other "superphones" using regular data?

Cheers!
    Regular data. You can kiss goodbye to compression. Faster browser as a result though. It's faster than iPhone by quite a bit. The main advantage is that if you're a user of another type of smartphone and are halfway through your contract and you happen to have the pennies to buy a sim free BB10 device, you can just switch sims and you're ready to rock and of course vice versa.
    02-02-13 07:39 PM
    Does anyone know if the carriers are counting BBM voice on network as data? I am guessing so.
    02-03-13 07:56 AM
    Does anyone know if the carriers are counting BBM voice on network as data? I am guessing so.
    Yeah if you do a BBM call over carrier network, it's going to count as data for sure. WiFi would be a way of avoiding that. But no one knows thus far how much data you'd consume per minute of usage.
    02-03-13 10:26 AM
    BBM video chat you are talking around 100mb per 10-15minutes of chatting
    02-09-13 03:51 PM
    I can't figure out why Koodo shows I'm up to 200 Mbs usage, when my Z10 is set to only download with wifi. I almost use wifi exclusively, both at work and at home. Any ideas why I'm getting this high usage would be appreciated.
    04-17-13 11:30 AM