Hi everyone!

I just got a Z 10 (never owned a BlackBerry before) and was curious about data usage with the Hub. I have all of my accounts set up with the Hub (email, Twitter, Facebook, etc). I was wondering how much data the Hub uses. Does it use data even if I'm not using it, since it's constantly on? Also, when I go to the main page of my Hub to see any updates, does that use a lot of data? The plan I am on right now doesn't give me much data so I just wanted to find this out to know. I tried searching Google but didn't find anything that helps.

Thank you so much advance!
    04-15-13 10:04 AM
    Your HUB is your on stop place for all emails, texts, facebook, Twitter, etc. When they come in yes, that uses up data. But when they are actually there and you want to view a previous email I don't think it will use up data since it's already downloaded to your phone, but I could he wrong here unless some else knows for sure. But I do recommend at least 1gb of data or if not more. I used to have a bold 9900 and I had only a 200mb plan and I never went over because of the data compression. But when I got my z10 wow it ate data like any other smartphone out there. I was using the same way as my bold and at the end of the month I was up to 650mb. We'll maybe I was using it abit more now from my excitement and trying to get used to the phone, plus the browser is so fast I'm constantly on it. When I go home I always connect to wifi so that I'm not Using up my data plan. For a z10 nothing less than 1gb or you might run into overage data charges and you don't want that. It's expensive. what carrier are you with? Hopefully I've helped you a bit, but in the end it all comes down to how much use your phone on a daily basis.

Smartphones these days need at least 1gb of data and nothing less. I've heard some using 6gb but that is considered heavy downloaders. I can't see myself using that kind of data for my z10.

Posted via CB10 from my Awesome Z10
    04-15-13 10:21 AM
    Hi everyone!

I just got a Z 10 (never owned a BlackBerry before) and was curious about data usage with the Hub. I have all of my accounts set up with the Hub (email, Twitter, Facebook, etc). I was wondering how much data the Hub uses. Does it use data even if I'm not using it, since it's constantly on? Also, when I go to the main page of my Hub to see any updates, does that use a lot of data? The plan I am on right now doesn't give me much data so I just wanted to find this out to know. I tried searching Google but didn't find anything that helps.

Thank you so much advance!
    The hub does data but if you turn off push on mail and have it set to check every hour or so you can greatly reduce your usage. Also if you have any apps that reach out you can change their sync intervals.
    04-15-13 10:36 AM
    The hub does data but if you turn off push on mail and have it set to check every hour or so you can greatly reduce your usage. Also if you have any apps that reach out you can change their sync intervals.
    How does push to check email eat your data? Just asking out of curiosity, not the most technical guy here even though I know quite a bit. If emails come in then yes that eats up data, but say it checks every 15 minutes and nothing comes through, do you still use up data? I can see if you push email 15 minutes it will affect your battery life, but I can't see it affecting data usage, then again I could be wrong. Please elaborate, would love to know this if this is true. Thanks.

04-15-13 10:54 AM
    How does push to check email eat your data? Just asking out of curiosity, not the most technical guy here even though I know quite a bit. If emails come in then yes that eats up data, but say it checks every 15 minutes and nothing comes through, do you still use up data? I can see if you push email 15 minutes it will affect your battery life, but I can't see it affecting data usage, then again I could be wrong. Please elaborate, would love to know this if this is true. Thanks.

From what I have seen from personal experience from this phone and other phones push is still pushing/receiving data to check if anything new is there. It might not be a big amount but depending on how many accounts you have it can add up. However I will state asps that sync use far more data depending on what they push and pull to your phone. So for me I keep my accounts on a hour interval with push off and any app to an hour for syncing.
    04-15-13 11:02 AM
    This is funny for me too, because on my BB9860 I used about 50MB per month, but now with my Z10 I am using about 300MB this month, I was wondering if my 400MB plan would be enough
    04-15-13 11:03 AM
    How do I do this?
    04-15-13 11:14 AM
    This is funny for me too, because on my BB9860 I used about 50MB per month, but now with my Z10 I am using about 300MB this month, I was wondering if my 400MB plan would be enough
    I only have 400MB as well.
    04-15-13 11:15 AM
    Depends on your usage over mobile, I would recommend 2gb plan at least for someone who uses mobile carrier data a lot.

I have 5gb shared plan with my playbook and in 3 weeks I only used 950mb of data, that is not much in my case, but to some who never used a smartphone like iphone, Samsung galaxy S3 like I have will be freaking out.

Trust me I used at least 1-2gb a month when I had my galaxy S3 and about the same with my iphone 4.

This month 3 weeks sharing with playbook 950mb is nothing as it's shared I used playbook on mobile as well.

Oh in case some ppl say how is playbook using Mobile, well i have the LTE version that's how.

So again it all depends on your usage.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    BB12MX likes this.
    04-15-13 11:18 AM
    From what I have seen from personal experience from this phone and other phones push is still pushing/receiving data to check if anything new is there. It might not be a big amount but depending on how many accounts you have it can add up. However I will state asps that sync use far more data depending on what they push and pull to your phone. So for me I keep my accounts on a hour interval with push off and any app to an hour for syncing.
    So if I turn off Push and keep my sync to 1 hour intervals, does this mean that every hour if there are emails on my server they will be pushed then at the 1 hour interval only? sorry guys, I don't understand this push email. I came from a bold 9900 so this is new to me. on my bold I had instant email, it came through instantly. So does push mean if someone sends me an email, I will receive it instantly if i have it on push? btw I have all apps closed, as I heard some stories on these forums about data being eaten up like crazy because an app was running in the background. for CB10 I have email notifications on, as i dont have it running as an active frame to avoid battery draining.
    04-15-13 12:55 PM
    So if I turn off Push and keep my sync to 1 hour intervals, does this mean that every hour if there are emails on my server they will be pushed then at the 1 hour interval only? sorry guys, I don't understand this push email. I came from a bold 9900 so this is new to me. on my bold I had instant email, it came through instantly. So does push mean if someone sends me an email, I will receive it instantly if i have it on push? btw I have all apps closed, as I heard some stories on these forums about data being eaten up like crazy because an app was running in the background. for CB10 I have email notifications on, as i dont have it running as an active frame to avoid battery draining.
    On Push/Pull

There is Push and there is Pull. Push is the default for BIS (unless you meet some criteria for that email account, then you'll be set on 15 minutes Pull, but I won't go there).

9900 use BIS, so whenever an email hits your account, BIS pushed that to your 9900.

Z10s don't use BIS (you can have the BIS plan, it will go to the internet and function, but you get none of the perks). Z10s use ActiveSync which will also push, provided the account allows for it (and mostly do).

You have the option to set a Z10 to Pull. If you do that, every X minutes, if will check your account for new messages and download them to the device.

Now that Push/Pull are explained, what does this mean for data usage: Nothing, and I'll explain why.

Case scenario: You get 5 emails in one day. One of them has a 8mb attachment. The sum of the emails is 9.5mb.

Situation one: Push enabled - You get the emails instantly as they arrive and at the end of the day, you used 9.5mb.

Situation two: Push disabled/Pull every hour - 1st hour you get the 1st email. The next hour you get some more, the following hour, the 8mb attachment, so on, till you've pulled the last one. You still use 9.5mb. (Each pull request does use some data, but at this day and age, that isn't relevant anymore).

On data hungry Z10s

BIS used to compress data. BlackBerry evice asks for info (google search, direct url access, whatever), request travels through carrier to BlackBerry's NOC, NOC access internet, fetches info, compresses info, sends back to carrier, carrier send it to BlackBerry device. That was BIS, and that was why BIS made BlackBerry devices of old slower than everything else out there.

Z10s don't use BIS (deja vu...). There is no compression. Z10 asks for info, goes to the internet via carrier network, gets info, shows it to you. If you access a website, while the 9900 would get compressed data (say, 200kb), the Z10 gets the full load (say, 1mb). But thing is, an iPhone would also get the 1mb full uncompressed version. So would a Galaxy SIII. Or a Nokia Lumia 920. The Z10 just used the internet a any other phone out there.

So yes, if you were used to BIS, you're in for a surprise and your data allowance may not be enough.

So, let's look at my bill so far! I was used to 20-60mb of data back when I had the 9780... Now with the Z10, I'm as high as 472,30mb, and I've been on WiFi most of the time doing pretty much the same things I used the 9780 for.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    04-15-13 01:09 PM
    On Push/Pull

There is Push and there is Pull. Push is the default for BIS (unless you meet some criteria for that email account, then you'll be set on 15 minutes Pull, but I won't go there).

9900 use BIS, so whenever an email hits your account, BIS pushed that to your 9900.

Z10s don't use BIS (you can have the BIS plan, it will go to the internet and function, but you get none of the perks). Z10s use ActiveSync which will also push, provided the account allows for it (and mostly do).

You have the option to set a Z10 to Pull. If you do that, every X minutes, if will check your account for new messages and download them to the device.

Now that Push/Pull are explained, what does this mean for data usage: Nothing, and I'll explain why.

Case scenario: You get 5 emails in one day. One of them has a 8mb attachment. The sum of the emails is 9.5mb.

Situation one: Push enabled - You get the emails instantly as they arrive and at the end of the day, you used 9.5mb.

Situation two: Push disabled/Pull every hour - 1st hour you get the 1st email. The next hour you get some more, the following hour, the 8mb attachment, so on, till you've pulled the last one. You still use 9.5mb. (Each pull request does use some data, but at this day and age, that isn't relevant anymore).

On data hungry Z10s

BIS used to compress data. BlackBerry evice asks for info (google search, direct url access, whatever), request travels through carrier to BlackBerry's NOC, NOC access internet, fetches info, compresses info, sends back to carrier, carrier send it to BlackBerry device. That was BIS, and that was why BIS made BlackBerry devices of old slower than everything else out there.

Z10s don't use BIS (deja vu...). There is no compression. Z10 asks for info, goes to the internet via carrier network, gets info, shows it to you. If you access a website, while the 9900 would get compressed data (say, 200kb), the Z10 gets the full load (say, 1mb). But thing is, an iPhone would also get the 1mb full uncompressed version. So would a Galaxy SIII. Or a Nokia Lumia 920. The Z10 just used the internet a any other phone out there.

So yes, if you were used to BIS, you're in for a surprise and your data allowance may not be enough.

So, let's look at my bill so far! I was used to 20-60mb of data back when I had the 9780... Now with the Z10, I'm as high as 472,30mb, and I've been on WiFi most of the time doing pretty much the same things I used the 9780 for.
    Thanks for the reply on the push/pull, now I understand. Yeah I knew about the Z10 was going to be data hog as it wasn't compressed data as you have described in detail above. I currently have a 1GB data plan with Rogers and when I go home I connect I just connect to wifi. I used the z10 quite extensively the last month and I used approx. 650mb. I wished I had more data, but I think I can manage with 1GB and wifi connections.
    SDTRMG and diegonei like this.
    04-15-13 02:45 PM
    Yes that is correct. Every hour the phone will reach out and check for email. Think of push email as always on in that if your account receives an email it is instantly pushed to your phone. This use to be nice on my old bold and torch since they went through the Bb server and were optimized. However today's z10 does not, this allows us not to need a dedicated Bb server plan but we are now in the same boat as android and iOS. If you do not get a ton of email then you are fine but add I started earlier the major data hogs are apps that love to check constantly.
    vagos2006 likes this.
    04-15-13 05:02 PM
    You can now keep an eye on your daily, weekly, monthly and unlimited data usage with the Data Usage Counter app

Available at the BlackBerry World

Last edited by tonyblaze; 05-21-13 at 01:51 AM.
    05-08-13 11:19 AM
    Where is this setting to turn off push? I did not realize there was one.
    01-26-14 08:00 AM
    Where is this setting to turn off push? I did not realize there was one.
    If you have multiple e-mail accounts you will need to turn it off manually for each account.

Settings > Accounts > [Your email account] >[Scroll to the bottom] and you will see:

Question about Data Usage And BlackBerry Z10 Hub-img_00000016.png
    Last edited by FireChestDotCom; 01-26-14 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Grammar
    01-26-14 08:21 AM
    Thanks...I do not even have that option that is why I never saw it before.
    01-26-14 08:26 AM