It's more the BB10 OS that needs tuning. QNX to Blackberry is like DOS to Windows or the Shell to Linux. It's the front end that controls the power management.
    My Z10 Gets around a day of heavy usage and 3 days light usage based on OS-10.2.1.2947/RADIO-10.2.1.2759. First thing I switch off is the usage statistics/diagnostics as it constantly wants to upload data.
    I also make sure the screen brightness is around 50% to get the best balance.

We have to consider that the Z10 being the original flagship before being replaced by the Z30 has a far more power hungry screen (1280x768 356ppi) in comparison to the Z30 (1280x720 295ppi) the Z10 battery in my opinion is certainly ill equipped to produce the sustained power needed here where has the Z30 screen despite being 0.8" bigger uses a lot less power, the battery is bigger and is able to sustain the power requirements of the phone. In short the Z30 will give me double that of the Z10 but as always depends on what I am performing in that day.
    Of course individuals will have all sorts of different reports I would imagine as the phone is being used for different tasks, whether running LTE, WIFI, BT etc.

It would be good to see if anyone has looked in to this with the Q5 and Q10? as I do not own any of these handsets to test.
    04-21-14 05:47 PM
    BB10 is new, QNX has been well tested and fixed in the past.

How many battery powered products has QNX been in? (Where the battery wasn't directly connected to an engine)

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Blomsternisse likes this.
    04-21-14 06:01 PM
    It's more the BB10 OS that needs tuning. QNX to Blackberry is like DOS to Windows or the Shell to Linux. It's the front end that controls the power management.
    There is actually a lot of work that's been done on NT, Mach, and Linux to optimize them for ARM devices running on very small batteries.

I agree there's a lot that has to be done on higher level parts of the stack also. But you can't omit the kernel from this. At least Apple, Google, Qualcomm, and Microsoft are doing a lot at the kernel level to address this.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    04-21-14 06:07 PM
    How did you come up with this title, or was it to grab attention, so maybe your question can be quickly
    04-21-14 06:18 PM
    I think there are so many contributing factors, to simply say 'not very power efficient' is open to great interpretation really.

I can certainly understand regarding the Kernel also but have to admit my knowledge is limited on this.

In comparison to the Sony Xperia U of my wife's which runs Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 has a 1Ghz dual core processor and 1Gb ram then hands down my Z10 is by far the better handset for power efficiency despite the bigger screen, double ram and faster processor. It does show Blackberry are going in the right direction each and every stage.
    04-21-14 06:27 PM
    I ran across this late last night. So I thought I would test on my Z10. Left it off charge for over 12 hours, wifi, blue tooth on. No mobile network as my aim is in my Z30. All I did was put the phone in its she'll case and leave it. After 12 hours I went from 67% to 64%. So just a 3% drop in over 12 hours. I would say that is very good.

I would guess that higher battery drain. Is an app issue.

Posted via CB10
    Mic_JP likes this.
    04-21-14 06:31 PM
    Yep plane mode sux... i was out of juice afyer a short 1.5 hour flight... phone was dead while it had full charge before flight. Tried the same thing when going back and results ware the same... so now i just take away the battery for that

Posted via Z10 from Lithuania
    Strange.
    I got mine in air plane mode for 3 hrs flight, playing NBA Jam for at least one hr during the flight, and when landed, it was like 40% juice left

Posted vis glorious Z10 powered by 10.2.1.2947
    04-21-14 06:43 PM
    O
    I don't think it has anything to do with QNX.
    One of the things that kill the batter is when you don't have stable signal strength, and other conflicting apps.
    If that was my situation I would backup, wipe, restore the phone. And leaving charging overnight, as it's meant to be. The Z10 battery isn't the best out there. The Z30 however...

From my White Z30
    Yup, I work in an underground level, sometime my Z10 just goes to almost zero. Previously when I was working above ground on a different location, I don't get that much battery draining. I thing the inconsistency of the signal strength does play havoc to the battery life. My coworkers who uses Iphone and android said the same happen to their devices.
    Mic_JP likes this.
    04-21-14 07:00 PM
    O

Yup, I work in an underground level, sometime my Z10 just goes to almost zero. Previously when I was working above ground on a different location, I don't get that much battery draining. I thing the inconsistency of the signal strength does play havoc to the battery life. My coworkers who uses Iphone and android said the same happen to their devices.
    In those situations you should turn off mobile network

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    04-21-14 07:03 PM
    Took screenshot this morning after seeing this post.. Phone with mobile network (2g) and wifi On.. location services off.

QNX - not very power efficient-img_20140422_094703.png

Posted via CB10
    04-21-14 11:32 PM
    O

Yes, there are areas where I go to hike and the forest roads and the hikes do not have cell service. If I forget to turn off the cell, power drains pretty quickly as the phone searches for service. Similar lack of service in areas north of Sun Valley this past Winter also would kill the battery if I did not turn off connections. Yes, there are still plenty of areas in the US where there is NO cell service.
    04-22-14 12:03 AM
    I'd look at the battery squire.

Of all the wireless services, Bluetooth seems to consume the most battery juice but with that and all other wireless services disabled, the phone itself shouldn't consume much at all. A similar test to yours would be to check overnight consumption with the Z10 turned off. A difference of more than 1 or 2 absolute percent would point to the battery not being up to scratch....
    I'd blame the code squirette! of all the radio components in any modern smartphone Bluetooth and even more miserly BT 4.0 should be using the very least Amount of power almost to the tune of NFC.

If you think and are 100% on your Z10 that it's using the most battery then you have a serious defect or the BB10 code along with the crappy battery is purely at fault.

That said, QNX was never designed in its previous existence to run on anything with a battery save for a cars battery. Think about that one for a moment.

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    04-22-14 01:10 AM
    I ran across this late last night. So I thought I would test on my Z10. Left it off charge for over 12 hours, wifi, blue tooth on. No mobile network as my aim is in my Z30. All I did was put the phone in its she'll case and leave it. After 12 hours I went from 67% to 64%. So just a 3% drop in over 12 hours. I would say that is very good.

I would guess that higher battery drain. Is an app issue.

Posted via CB10
    Try to restart the phone right after you put it in flight mode.
    Also, how many e-mail accounts have you set up? Are you syncing calendar and contacts with gmail?

I think those in combination with no internet connection (airplane mode) make the battery drain like crazy.

I don't have the gps issue like others have posted.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 01:31 AM
    Try to restart the phone right after you put it in flight mode.
    Also, how many e-mail accounts have you set up? Are you syncing calendar and contacts with gmail?

I think those in combination with no internet connection (airplane mode) make the battery drain like crazy.

I don't have the gps issue like others have posted.

Posted via CB10
    Three emails all set to thirty minute sync. Yes on the calendar and contacts via Gmail. Have not tried with a restart. I will test that later today and update you.

Posted via CB10
    Sergiu1337 likes this.
    04-22-14 04:45 AM
    Congrats!!!!!

U now have a normal Z10 lol

Just kidding....kinda.....mayb lol

Posted via CB10

So - a bit of tuning fixed it. I set my I Cloud to "push off" trying to fix the reconciliation issue and that seems to have caused it. Made the device run hot and run down super fast compared to usual

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 05:55 AM
    Three emails all set to thirty minute sync. Yes on the calendar and contacts via Gmail. Have not tried with a restart. I will test that later today and update you.

Posted via CB10
    Why you need 30 minutes sync?!
    I have 24 hrs sync.

Posted via glorious Z10 powered by 10.2.1.2947
    04-22-14 08:10 AM
    Somewhere there is a topic I made of just battery usage without using the phone. For me, with wifi on the phone used like 1% an hour.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 09:18 AM
    The Z10 has a ****ty battery. Problem solved. The Q10 and Z30 last a long time.

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8
    04-22-14 10:54 AM
    This QNX kernel must have a severely broken power management system
    I think you must have a severely broken battery. We once experienced a blackout for about a week due to a weather disturbance. There's nowhere to charge your phone and I didn't have a battery bundle at that time, so I shut my data OFF and use only 2G for SMS. My Z10, used only for SMS, has stayed alive for about 3 days before shutting down. What more if I was on Airplane Mode? I suggest you first try other battery and see how that goes.
    04-22-14 11:10 AM
    Seriously, you all keeping locations on, 30 min sync for email, and then complain abuot battery life?

Why in the world you need 30 min email/contacts sync?

04-22-14 01:47 PM
    Yes, there are areas where I go to hike and the forest roads and the hikes do not have cell service. If I forget to turn off the cell, power drains pretty quickly as the phone searches for service. Similar lack of service in areas north of Sun Valley this past Winter also would kill the battery if I did not turn off connections. Yes, there are still plenty of areas in the US where there is NO cell service.

I've definitely noted a shift in Z10 power consumption lately, particularly as I've been working in areas with really spotty coverage at times. Without question, part of the Z10's problem is the weeny little battery that was asked to power the battery sucking hardware it has relative to the older BlackBerry's. The other BlackBerry 10 devices have different screens, smaller screens or larger batteries than the Z10.

Do the Q10, Q5, and Z30 also experience the sudden drains though? If so, perhaps the "tuning" is specifically the radio stack?

Also - anyone know if PlayBook LTE had 'sudden drain" issues over LTE?
    04-23-14 06:30 AM
    Seriously, you all keeping locations on, 30 min sync for email, and then complain abuot battery life?

Why in the world you need 30 min email/contacts sync?
    Why should he need to care really what the defaults of things like that are? It should just "work"
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-23-14 06:31 AM
    Why should he need to care really what the defaults of things like that are? It should just "work"
    Yeah. But seriously, why you want to jabbed locations always on (which is main battery hog on all mobile systems) or email syncing every 30 mins?

04-23-14 06:49 AM
    Playbook is the 1st BB,QNX, so if battery is bad here, it should be also be bad in all BB10s. Bad meaning inefficient.

Btw, I sync my email every hour because it's a work email, and I don't want to refresh all the time. I think 1hr is just the right setting. I move a lot so I don't have a computer in front of me all the time. If i'm just sitting in the office, then 24hr sync will do.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-14 09:05 AM
    Playbook is the 1st BB,QNX, so if battery is bad here, it should be also be bad in all BB10s. Bad meaning inefficient.

Btw, I sync my email every hour because it's a work email, and I don't want to refresh all the time. I think 1hr is just the right setting. I move a lot so I don't have a computer in front of me all the time. If i'm just sitting in the office, then 24hr sync will do.

Posted via CB10
    but you understand, that SYNC is not the same as how often you receive the mail?

i.e. I use gmail with push - and I receive the mail instantly, even sync is 24 hrs.

all what it does - is just syncs any changes between the server/main email client and phone. in general - you do not need 24 hrs sync if you are on the road or sitting in office.
    if you are on the road, you will receive your emails anyway and you will not need to look at your computer.
    if you are in office - well - you are in office - use computer.

the same goes with contacts.
    do you add new contacts every 30 minutes? every hour?! probably no...

locations. during the night. really?
    04-23-14 09:29 AM
87 1234