Hi!

Is it just me, or is the power management quite broken in BlackBerry 10? The last couple of nights I've done a series of tests to see whether or not air plane mode is useful on BlackBerry 10 as a power saver during night time. Well, the results weren't so good.

With no applications running and having LTE enabled (no BT, No WiFi, IMAP idle mail account enabled), my Z10 will drop in an average 39% battery life during an 8 hour night.

The same test, but with air plan mode enabled shows that the Z10 drops 46% during the same time. What the...? This QNX kernel must have a severely broken power management system if it uses more battery life when everything is disabled, than it does with the LTE radio on and constantly having a TCP connection for mail notifications.

I also performed the same test with an iPhone 5s and it only dropped 1% battery life in the same time with air plane mode enabled.

Am I the only one who find this absolutely ridiculous? I love my Z10, but please, fix the power management.
    04-20-14 05:39 AM
    I'd look at the battery squire.

Of all the wireless services, Bluetooth seems to consume the most battery juice but with that and all other wireless services disabled, the phone itself shouldn't consume much at all. A similar test to yours would be to check overnight consumption with the Z10 turned off. A difference of more than 1 or 2 absolute percent would point to the battery not being up to scratch....
    04-20-14 05:51 AM
    Yep, I did same test about 4 ago.

Battery life compared to Android is really bad. I get about 25 percent over night in idle with data turned of. It's ridiculous compared to Nexus 5 with data on and drainage is about 5 percent over night (8-9 hours).

Guess another BlackBerry 10 *super secure* feature...

Posted via CB10
    WanShark69 likes this.
    04-20-14 05:53 AM
    Wow. I can leave my phone on lte alone at work with occasional usage and this is the result:
    QNX - not very power efficient-img_20140420_072642.png

Down roughly 30 percent in 10-11 hours.

LTE is a power hog, but I'm not entirely sure your phone is getting a strong signal, causing it to drain more rapidly.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 06:29 AM
    I don't think it has anything to do with QNX.
    One of the things that kill the batter is when you don't have stable signal strength, and other conflicting apps.
    If that was my situation I would backup, wipe, restore the phone. And leaving charging overnight, as it's meant to be. The Z10 battery isn't the best out there. The Z30 however...

From my White Z30
    sk8er_tor and FastLane228 like this.
    04-20-14 06:30 AM
    Yeah the battery is utter trash in my opinion. Dunno why it's this bad, probably a lack of optimization...
    04-20-14 06:30 AM
    something must be wrong with all your phones. my z10 will drop 5-8% in bedside mode over night.....

Posted via CB10
    RubenDM and Romualdo Diosdado like this.
    04-20-14 06:44 AM
    That's your phone, not everyone's. There is something going on if it drains that much in airplane mode.
    04-20-14 06:54 AM
    I dint have such problems.... after completing charge.. i unplugged it... when I woke up I had many notifications as well as missed calls n i had 89% battery.. im not exaggerating... it's true.. some times 94%

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 08:10 AM
    Open Device Monitor and see what Battery and CPU tabs show is running.
    Mic_JP likes this.
    04-20-14 09:29 AM
    My Q5 is very good on battery i can have it two days running before charging
    04-20-14 09:40 AM
    I dint have such problems.... after completing charge.. i unplugged it... when I woke up I had many notifications as well as missed calls n i had 89% battery.. im not exaggerating... it's true.. some times 94%

Posted via CB10
    Stl100-1?

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 09:43 AM
    Have to agree it's your phone. I saw this behavior in the shipping os. With current os I can leave my phone at 50% going to bed and there is still battery left when I wake up. I will run your test tonight and post a device screenshot.
    04-20-14 09:58 AM
    When I had my Z10, it would drop at most 10% overnight (8hrs) with LTE on.
    04-20-14 10:24 AM
    Yes, it can be about signal IMHO. If I set my phone to wifi-calling in wifi-only mode battery life is great. Because the phone does not hunt for signal, but I am in a marginal reception area.
    04-20-14 10:33 AM
    I can accept the replies concerning signal quality, but I have a hard time understanding why my phone would use so much "juice", even when running in air plane mode - more than it does when running without it.

I'll do some more testing and have a look at the device monitor, but no other mobile phone OS out there behaves like this (when disabling radios and turning off all applications).
    04-20-14 10:53 AM
    It's not "QNX" or even BB10 for that matter. The Z30 loses almost no charge while on standby with cell and wifi. Granted it does have a massive battery.

One thing I noticed last time I flew and switched on "airplane mode" is that the location services icon kept popping up (I was using the phone to play stored music). Not really sure why (kinda weird), but I can see that taking up juice if you're inside and it can't get a GPS signal.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 11:07 AM
    There must be more than the battery and signal in play here. I had the same issues as the OP, but I always use bedside mode with phone calls allowed and leave all data one. Always connected to the home Wi-Fi and mobile data on to be safe. If the phone became unplugged it could die overnight or be almost dead from a decent charge level. However, on the newer OS 10.2.1 versions, I get much better life in the exact same conditions. The early OS 10 and 10.1 must have been a factor too. Still not as good as many competing phones, but it is improving for me by a lot.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    04-20-14 01:28 PM
    Can the author of this post his battery consumption picture? I doubt there is something wrong on his usage.

In airplane mode my z10 goes from 100 to 94% in morning that's only 6% consumed in entire night of 9 hours.

Hope he is true on what he has posted instead of defaming z10

Himanshu's Z10
    pystha and xenrobia like this.
    04-20-14 01:39 PM
    The battery consumption when you have no data available is inconsistent on BB10.

I had problem when I was somewhere and had no data connection. I felt the phone warm in my pocket. System, standby and pim services were on top in device manager. Had the device in airplane mode. I had to go to an area with signal and data connection and let it few minutes. All were ok after that.

I think it has to do with contacts and email synching, like it's infinitely retry to connect.. in a loop.

Never had such problems on Android or iOS.

Posted via CB10
    WanShark69 likes this.
    04-20-14 02:23 PM
    My z10 drops like 10% per night.

One email (gmail with calendar and contacts), twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Evernote acc.

wifi always on. 3g Coverage only.

Everything is set to 24 hrs sync and push.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 03:01 PM
    Yeah like the other guy said you guys have some issues going on with your phone. I have no problems at night with mines idle or using and I try hard as hell to burn my battery up and I just can't do it.
    Try a wipe and check those apps that may be running in the background.
    I meticulously went through mines and I can get my Z10 to standby up to two or three days day or night.
    I think my screen brightness is set too high for the day but at night my phone acts very similar to my Photon Q (That I may have hacked to work on T-mobile some day if I can find the right guy) but if I were a security guard I'd have it made working graveyard shift with my Z10 because I'd be sleepy before my phone would be.

Posted via CB10
    Mic_JP likes this.
    04-20-14 09:24 PM
    My Z10 looses 1% per hour when it's in airplane mode and not being used. My conclusion, no QNX/general issue. Maybe your apps?

QNX - not very power efficient-img_20140421_064925.png

Posted via CB10
    04-21-14 02:26 AM
    QNX - not very power efficient-img_20140421_082322.png
    Drain during the night. Radio all wifi on.

Posted vis glorious Z10 powered by 10.2.1.2947
    04-21-14 02:30 AM
    Don't know how the iPhone achieves such low drain when not in use. It's kind of amazing to be honest. I'd still have to charge daily but it would be cool if BB10 could get to that level of power optimization.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-14 02:52 AM
87 123 ...