I have the z10 battery pack. Absolute lifesaver and I love not being hooked to a wire. I just switch batteries when one drains out.

The question is, to change batteries should I shut it down properly or just yank out the battery. It can be so frustrating waiting for it to shut down!

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 02:05 PM
    Hmm, in thinking like a computer, I say shutdown the device first. Only do a battery pull if the device is 'stuck' or something. Just my opinion of course...
    FrankIAm and southlander like this.
    01-05-14 02:08 PM
    Shutting down is fairly quick I thought. And yes would recommend shutting down first before swapping out the battery.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 02:09 PM
    I understand ppl saying shut down first but is there any real difference? What happens if I pull it regularly without shutting down?

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 02:13 PM
    To be honest, if you have no apps running, I don't see an issue with it. But, seriously, what's the rush?

I understand ppl saying shut down first but is there any real difference? What happens if I pull it regularly without shutting down?

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 02:15 PM
    It's been said around here that it's best to shut the phone down first. There are background processes that you don't want it to be in the middle of when you yank the battery out - like an email sync that may corrupt a few of them.

Only if the phone is so locked up that even the volume button press hard reset can't fix it should you resort to a battery pull while the device is still on.

Not that it will corrupt something, but it might. Better to be safe.

Posted via CB10
    anon(153966) and Paul86 like this.
    01-05-14 02:15 PM
    Well there is a reason that the shutdown takes a few seconds. It's the OS saving settings and tieing up loose ends. Definitely better to shutdown, but I don't think there's battery pull will kill your phone.
    01-05-14 02:22 PM
    My Q10 fell 3 times and every time it restarted... I had no problems with installed apps or saved information...
    I think you can simply take the battery off, but make sure that you save your entries... better, close all the active frames.

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany
    01-05-14 02:23 PM
    To be honest, if you have no apps running, I don't see an issue with it. But, seriously, what's the rush?
    Just pull the battery, I wouldn't worry much. It might sound reckless, but to be honest, I'm yeat to hear a person that lost something, and as long as you have your data copy in the pc/cloud is all good. I do the same with Flash drives on the PC, I never "romeve safely" I just pull, and never lost a Kb.
    With my 9900, I always pulled without loosing anything.... I guess it shouldn't be much different with BB10...

Unless you're doing some firmware update or something, there isn't much wrong that can happen in pulling the battery straight
    01-05-14 02:28 PM
    Do NOT pull the battery on a Z10 unless it's off or you have no other choice. It is NOT like the earlier phones. Really don't care what anyone says. Nothing personal. The old phones did not allow you to shut it off. You had to pull the battery. But even then it was recommended that you do it when the phone had been "put to sleep." If, like the old phones, it was OK, then why -- unlike the old phones -- did they make it so you could shut it down?
    01-05-14 05:04 PM
    If you happen to pull the battery while the hardware is completing a write to an important section of the file system and it is corrupted it could cause anything from: no problems because it gets discovered and fixed on boot; loss of data because a file is unrecoverable, up to a failure to boot wit a BB10-0015 Corrupt file system error.

As far as people associating the eventual failure, or loss of data with pulling the battery; it could take enough time for a problem to show up that they have forgotten they did it. When providing IT support I quickly lost count of the number of times I was helping someone with a computer system malfunction. I always started by asking what changes they made recently, the answer was most often that they had not done anything different than they had for months. Then I would find from the log files that they had deleted a file, installed a program or changed hardware.

Most complex system have designated shutdown procedures for a reason. But it is your phone, you may do whatever you wish.
    01-05-14 05:14 PM