Hi all

The Z10 is awesome however I get an occasional issue when trying to use free public wifi eg at a local cafe. I am to connect to the wifi concerned (without needing a passcode), however I then get a notification saying limited connectivity and it will not browse.

I have no issues on my home and work wifi, and have tried deleting the profile and starting again as well as turning off my mobile connection including data.

It doesn't happen on all public wifi - Sky Cloud is okay and Vodafone tube platform is good.

Any ideas as I can't get the establishment to reboot their router!

Woody
    10-29-13 11:40 AM
    When traveling the only thing I had to remember was sometimes to check hub notification for a connection link. On free wifi the phone would connect to the wifi but I would sometimes need the hub notification to get on the internet.
    10-29-13 12:47 PM
    Still having an issue on some wifi networks but can't seem to find a pattern for the issue.

Went to my folks today, got on their wifi fine, went to an indoor play area with my kids - connected ok to their wifi - however went to my dad's work and could connect to his router (small workplace with only 1 PC), however then got a notification saying limited connectivity and could not browse the internet or use some of the inbuilt Z10 apps (FB, Twitter etc).

Starting to drive me a bit mad as it is so intermittent - could it be the router set ups, as I can't change a business or public one? Is it a setting on the Z10 or security from Blackberry itself?

Any suggestions would be great.
    Appreciated.
    Woody
    10-31-13 03:51 PM
    It's the way the routers are setup

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    10-31-13 04:02 PM
    Thanks for the reply - what would I need to change if I could? As my Dad's work wifi could be amended.

Is this an issue with the Z10 or BB?
    Is it BlackBerry only?

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 05:36 PM
    Thanks for the reply - what would I need to change if I could? As my Dad's work wifi could be amended.

Is this an issue with the Z10 or BB?
    Is it BlackBerry only?

Posted via CB10
    Well before you change anything on it have you tried rebooting the router?

10-31-13 05:58 PM
    Yes - didn't make any difference.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 06:15 PM
    Sorry, but unless his Dad's router had stuff blocked then there shouldn't be issues.
    10-31-13 06:28 PM
    You may want to do a hard reset (paper clip?). Then, if that doesn't work, check for updated firmware. BTW, it's not a NetGear router, is it? There is one model known to have issues with Bberry series 10 phones.

Well... the problem with this router was, when it was set for mixed mode N/G, Z10 would not connect. It had to be set to G or G/B... slowing everything else down. Worth a try?
    Last edited by scrannel; 10-31-13 at 09:05 PM.
    10-31-13 08:47 PM
    You may want to do a hard reset (paper clip?). Then, if that doesn't work, check for updated firmware. BTW, it's not a NetGear router, is it? There is one model known to have issues with Bberry series 10 phones.

Well... the problem with this router was, when it was set for mixed mode N/G, Z10 would not connect. It had to be set to G or G/B... slowing everything else down. Worth a try?
    This your next step then.
    Reset the router to factory default. And then re setup the account recreate the Wifi account etc.
    Did this for some frends and been working perfectly for them since.

11-01-13 12:23 AM
    Ok thanks - might try that next time I am able to.

Yes it is a Netgear router.

Still confused as to why some other public wifi won't work -as I said it is only some.

Ah well not a huge issue just inconvenient.
    Thanks for all the help.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 02:21 AM
    This your next step then.
    Reset the router to factory default. And then re setup the account recreate the Wifi account etc.
    Did this for some frends and been working perfectly for them since.

Yes, as mentioned, a reset. But you also may want to then change the wireless mode because I believe the default is G/N. Try setting it for G or B/G. However, you will then deprive any other wireless stuff around the house from working in N (faster) mode.

As far as other public wireless, the phone usually sends you a notification (check your hub) if you need to sign in, even if free. However, I have had one case where I had to open a browser and the login would appear there.

Do you know the model number of the Netgear router?
    11-01-13 08:55 AM
    Thanks again.

I do get the notification in the hub and can actually connect (get the wifi icon) but am not able to browse.

The Netgear model is DG834GT.

I just find it a tad mad that it is only a couple of connections that cause an issue and normally they are public wifi. Having said that Costa Coffee is ok and so is Sky Cloud.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 09:02 AM
    Some public wifi hotspots will require the user accept the TOS that will pop up on the browser when you open it up for the first time, before granting full connectivity.

As for your dad's place, check to see he doesn't have MAC address filtering turned on.
    11-01-13 09:09 AM
    Yes, as mentioned, a reset. But you also may want to then change the wireless mode because I believe the default is G/N. Try setting it for G or B/G. However, you will then deprive any other wireless stuff around the house from working in N (faster) mode.

As far as other public wireless, the phone usually sends you a notification (check your hub) if you need to sign in, even if free. However, I have had one case where I had to open a browser and the login would appear there.

Do you know the model number of the Netgear router?
    How fast is the wifi connections at these stores? At home even? If the internet doesn't provide speeds faster than 54mbps N will do nothing. N is more for faster speeds on your local network.
    11-01-13 09:35 AM
    I appreciate it has been a while since I updated but I haven't had the need to connect to any additional wifi recently other than my normal ones at home and relatives.
    Anyway in the past couple of days I have managed to connect to some other public wifi - however in order to do so I have had to switch off my data connection via my mobile network in order to get the appropriate connection or log in screen - which has then allowed me through.
    Whilst this is good news, I am still confused as why some wifi points need me to do that whereas others will do it without the need to turn my data connection off.

Any ideas?

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 03:23 PM