Not even a week and my girlfriends charge port broke. Be very careful when charging the Z10. A lot of people have pointed out the port as a potential weak point and I thought to myself, well, a charge port os a charge port. Gotta say they were right. Man o man is the woman crabby now.
    lactose likes this.
    03-27-13 08:32 AM
    Doesn't seem any more fragile than other MicroUSB ports.

Lol, I use to see work Blackberries with Mini USB ports broken all the time. Like people trying to shove it in the wrong way. Sigh.

How did she break it?
    Shake99 likes this.
    03-27-13 08:35 AM
    Like people trying to shove it in the wrong way.
    That might be the answer to your question
    03-27-13 08:37 AM
    Doesn't seem any more fragile than other MicroUSB ports.

Lol, I use to see work Blackberries with Mini USB ports broken all the time. Like people trying to shove it in the wrong way. Sigh.

How did she break it?
    It fell off the nightstand, which is a about a foot and a half off the ground. This was onto carpeting. No way that fall should of broke that port.
    03-27-13 08:38 AM
    It fell off the nightstand, which is a about a foot and a half off the ground. This was onto carpeting. No way that fall should of broke that port.
    It must have hit at the wrong angle. Too bad BlackBerry didn't put the PlayBook style charger. Hopefully in the next version.

PS I've seen plenty of ports damaged like that... I was super paranoid on my Nokia N9 Since it also had a fragile flap

Posted via CB10 on my sweet Z10
    03-27-13 09:10 AM
    That sucks I've had similar situation happy with my Lumia 920, thankfully it broke the cable instead of the port.
    03-27-13 09:19 AM
    I broke three USB ports on my old 7100T. I never had that issue with any other phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 09:32 AM
    It must have hit at the wrong angle. Too bad BlackBerry didn't put the PlayBook style charger. Hopefully in the next version.

PS I've seen plenty of ports damaged like that... I was super paranoid on my Nokia N9 Since it also had a fragile flap

Posted via CB10 on my sweet Z10
    You must be referring to the magnetic rapid charge port of the BlackBerry PlayBook.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    03-27-13 12:16 PM
    Well, on the plus side, Geek Squad insurance is awesome. The lady took it to Best Buy and they gave her a new one without fuss.
    03-27-13 12:18 PM
    That's too bad. My 9700 has taken some pretty good abSuse - I've dropped it while it's plugged in about a hundred times from fifty different angles, but it's a champ.

So does the port not work anymore? Or did the micro USB piece snap off and get stuck in the port?
    03-27-13 12:19 PM
    You must be referring to the magnetic rapid charge port of the BlackBerry PlayBook.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    All ports should be like this. It seems like every phone I owned ended up having a port problem where I had to wiggle and set it just right for it to work. It always seems to happen after a year or so of usage. Wireless charging would of been a nice feature for the Z10 as well. less wear and tear on the port.
    03-27-13 12:21 PM
    That's too bad. My 9700 has taken some pretty good abSuse - I've dropped it while it's plugged in about a hundred times from fifty different angles, but it's a champ.

So does the port not work anymore? Or did the micro USB piece snap off and get stuck in the port?
    The inside of the port separated. It was weird. Could of been a freak deal. I think I just hate micro usb ports in general. lol
    03-27-13 12:22 PM
    think of the good side to this... the Z10 has a removable battery!! if you don't have the spare battery and charger, get one! SO worth the money! it's only a minor inconvenience to swap the batteries out. Better than a dead phone!!

From Z to U via CB10
    03-27-13 12:25 PM
    I mentioned in another topic that the charging port seems very poorly built and that the cable can go in at all sorts of weird angles before "clicking" in which is worrying, but people thought I was making it up.
    03-27-13 12:35 PM
    All ports should be like this. It seems like every phone I owned ended up having a port problem where I had to wiggle and set it just right for it to work. It always seems to happen after a year or so of usage. Wireless charging would of been a nice feature for the Z10 as well. less wear and tear on the port.
    Could not agree with you more about that - they should all be like MacBooks with the mag safe charge port...nothing beats that!
    03-27-13 12:38 PM
    I mentioned in another topic that the charging port seems very poorly built and that the cable can go in at all sorts of weird angles before "clicking" in which is worrying, but people thought I was making it up.
    It's not that you're making it up, it's just that what you're saying is completely false.

If you were talking about the PlayBook then I would agree. But not the Z.

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    03-27-13 12:44 PM
    I think I just hate micro usb ports in general. lol
    I'm with you on that. Major thing I miss about my Lumia 920 was the awesome wireless charging (not to be confused with saying All wireless charging is awesome, it sucked on the Nexus 4)

I have to say the Z10 has been one of the easier devices to plugin in the dark when going to bed at least.
    03-27-13 12:45 PM
    Well, on the plus side, Geek Squad insurance is awesome. The lady took it to Best Buy and they gave her a new one without fuss.
    Great!
    03-27-13 12:55 PM
    I know exactly what you are talking about.
    Both of our Z10s have this. Insert the end and it 'clicks' at an off angle, and at little further and clicks with correct seating and charging.
    pjstock42 likes this.
    03-27-13 01:15 PM
    One more reason I will miss my touchstone
    03-27-13 01:17 PM
    I know exactly what you are talking about.
    Both of our Z10s have this. Insert the end and it 'clicks' at an off angle, and at little further and clicks with correct seating and charging.
    Thank you!

Hopefully more people will come out and admit this design flaw so that people don't think I'm crazy when I talk about it.

This is a common problem with cheaply made electronics, I've gone through 2 Nexus 7's because of the USB port breaking from normal use.
    03-27-13 01:25 PM
    After a year of usage YES it is. Mine now I have to wiggle etc. to make it connect correctly and hope it stays as sometimes it wont. This is NO lie with the Z10
    08-22-14 12:05 PM
    In general, micro USB is a pretty poor design.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 08:18 AM
    If it makes you feel any better, I wrecked the HDMI port on the Playbook ages ago by trying to shove the charger into it in the dark....

Posted via CB10
    skstrials likes this.
    08-24-14 08:22 AM
    It would be nice if these "fragile" ports could be replaced with a magnetic coupler like the rapid charger for the playbook. But not just for charging but for hdmi and usb connections. Fingers remaining crossed - so far I've been lucky. I have marked my cables/chargers/hdmi's with a white nail polish dot to show TOP and it can show in the dark, too. Makes it less likely to try shoving cables in upsidedown. There's also a free app for the z10 - Night Ports, that lights up arrows to show location of ports.
    08-24-14 10:26 AM
32 12