This thread has a link to an android app to test phone sensors. I have confirmed the proximity detector hardware works.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tector-828209/
    But it doesn't work when I make phone calls. I have had the dial pad go off once and another itme the mute enabled by my face pressing against the glass.

Since the hardware works, I have to assume a software issue. I'm not sure if I lost the use of this feature when I upgraded. [T-Mobile stl100-3 10.1.0.2006)

The normal operation of the proximity detector (from what I can gather from posts) is you make a call, put your face by the phone, and the screen goes blank. It might pay for users to make sure their proximity detector is working since you can kind of use the phone with it being out of order. That is, you won't always be setting off the phone dial pad with your cheek. Since a face isn't as pointy as a finger, it won't always enable something on the screen during a call.

The possibilities I can think of are:
    1) a firmware upgrade caused a bug
    2) an app tries to use the sensor when dialing, causing a conflict

I have decided to rule out space aliens, at least for the time being.
    07-13-13 02:53 PM
    This thread has a link to an android app to test phone sensors. I have confirmed the proximity detector hardware works.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tector-828209/
    But it doesn't work when I make phone calls. I have had the dial pad go off once and another itme the mute enabled by my face pressing against the glass.

Since the hardware works, I have to assume a software issue. I'm not sure if I lost the use of this feature when I upgraded. [T-Mobile stl100-3 10.1.0.2006)

The normal operation of the proximity detector (from what I can gather from posts) is you make a call, put your face by the phone, and the screen goes blank. It might pay for users to make sure their proximity detector is working since you can kind of use the phone with it being out of order. That is, you won't always be setting off the phone dial pad with your cheek. Since a face isn't as pointy as a finger, it won't always enable something on the screen during a call.

The possibilities I can think of are:
    1) a firmware upgrade caused a bug
    2) an app tries to use the sensor when dialing, causing a conflict

I have decided to rule out space aliens, at least for the time being.
    3) your face is made of jello and since jello is not a heat conductor nor a solid mass , it won't work.

Well that's all that I can come up with.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 03:06 PM
    Good try, except my face can turn trigger the proximity detector on the Android app. ;-)

I think I'm going to have to just reload the OS. I hope I don't have to set up the email all over again. All those passwords!
    07-14-13 12:09 AM
    Note you can use another phone to detect the infrared from the proximity detector. I have verified the detector is running during phone calls (i.e. I see it with the camera on my old Bold), but the result from the proximity detector isn't being used.
    07-14-13 01:15 AM
    This problem was fixed with T-mobile update 10.1.0.4200.
    09-05-13 07:01 PM
    Spoke too soon. Now the proximity detector isn't working. Perhaps some app effects the software?
    09-09-13 09:01 PM