I was attempting to restore my Z10 after installing the last OS upgrade and the restore kept getting stalled at 14% I couldn't figure out why this was happening until I noticed i was using a non-BlackBerry USB cable.

When I switched to the USB cable that came with the wall charger, NO PROBLEM! The restore when quickly with no hangups.

Has anyone else have this happen to them? From now on, I have the Blackberry cable tagged with color tape so I don't make the same mistake.
    05-31-13 06:53 PM
    I have so many BBRY OEM USB cables that it's never been an issue for me.

BUT, I have heard of this before. Thanks for posting, and glad you found your own solution!
    05-31-13 06:56 PM
    I have transferred many files between PC and my Z10 and Q10 using the cable from a S3 and it seems to work fine. Never tried to do an update yet.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 07:27 PM
    Yes, some cables are bad. Apparently ultra fine wire is used in many cheap USB cables. For a resistance of 4.5 ohms at 22 cm length, the wire gauge must be incredibly thin, awg40 wire which is hair-thin would be about 1 ohm. There are some cheap cables out there like this that are not USB spec-compliant and will give trouble.
    06-01-13 02:52 PM
    Yes, some cables are bad. Apparently ultra fine wire is used in many cheap USB cables. For a resistance of 4.5 ohms at 22 cm length, the wire gauge must be incredibly thin, awg40 wire which is hair-thin would be about 1 ohm. There are some cheap cables out there like this that are not USB spec-compliant and will give trouble.
    4.5ohms resistance for a wire is a lot

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 02:57 PM
    some USB cables are charge only. This type of cable is cheap vs charge and data USB cable, maybe you are using charge only cable.

BBRY phones are known not compatible with charge only USB cable
    06-01-13 03:12 PM
    Copper is expensive.

I've seen this. Open up one of those cheap gas station chargers and see what they are using for wires. Its crap. With regular use these thin cables get even thinner near the connectors to the point of breaking. Don't gauge the wire awg by the thickness of the isulator sleeve.
    06-01-13 03:17 PM
    Ebay is full of really bad cables and chargers lol

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 03:37 PM
    I've been using the cable from my old Nokia N86 8MP... because it was a little longer... Never had a problem with it (touch head). Used it with BB Link and file transfers to PC. Lucky...
    06-01-13 04:24 PM
    Not all these USB cables are created equal. The cheaper cables use a thinner gauge of wire. Copper is expensive. They also have a greater value of what is called dialectic constant between the insulated pairs in the conductors along the length of the cable. The greater the capacitive reactance between the conductors to each other, the greater the leakage factor inducing signal loss along the signal path. Thinner conductors also have some greater inductive reactance, which also causes some reactive loss factors in the signal path.

It is best to use high quality cables. The original type for your your Blackberry device will work the best. I myself tried some of these bargain cables. They ended up being a waste of money. Some of these cheap cables would not even properly charge the phone.
    06-01-13 04:32 PM