Hi guys

EDIT: quick bump to see if I can find out whether warranty is transferable, and also whether unlocking voids your warranty.

Like many here, I've been lurking and watching the discussions. Although a huge BBRY fan, I've been a bit concerned about the variability in user experience with the Z10. I gave up the land line long ago and use my phone for business, so I need it to be working right away and working well.

I may grab a phone from RFD soon. I have a few questions

1. How much does it cost to unlock a Rogers phone for use with Telus, and will this cause any issues whatsoever in terms of use with the Telus network? answered below

2. There are 2 models here in Canada (as far as I understand it) - STL100-2 RFH121LW and STL100-3 RFF91LW/RFK121LW. Is this correct, and has anything been established in terms of one being any better than the other? answered below

3. Many people here have talked about having to exchange handsets for this or that reason. I spoke to Telus today who told me that for phones purchased in their stores (I am going to purchase outright) the exchange window ends after usually 14 days (she said max 30 days at a very few stores). Now, obviously I can't go to Rogers after I unlock this phone. The big questions is - do BBRY warranties travel with the phone like iPhone warranties do? If so, and I need to exchange this phone, I have to call BBRY right? Can anyone tell me about their experience trying to get warranty replacements from BBRY after the carrier exchange period ends? Surely we're far enough along that someone has had to deal with this.

That's it for now. Yep, I'm being careful. I'm willing to take a chance on the phone in the hopes that my experience is like others who have had zero problems. I am not going to be sideloading apps or anything like that. I just want it to work for calls, email and texts, as well as web browsing.

Thanks!
    Last edited by mset; 03-06-13 at 01:44 PM.
    03-05-13 10:40 PM
    1. How much does it cost to unlock a Rogers phone for use with Telus, and will this cause any issues whatsoever in terms of use with the Telus network?
    About $45 from CrackBerryUnlocking.com ? BlackBerry Unlock codes, BlackBerry Unlocking, Unlock BlackBerry 10 -- and you'll have no issue whatsoever using a Rogers Z10 on TELUS.
    2. There are 2 models here in Canada (as far as I understand it) - STL100-2 RFH121LW and STL100-3 RFF91LW/RFK121LW. Is this correct, and has anything been established in terms of one being any better than the other?
    The -2 and -3 variants reprsent the different networks the device supports. Rogers sells the -3 which will cover you with no problem.

3. Many people here have talked about having to exchange handsets for this or that reason. I spoke to Telus today who told me that for phones purchased in their stores (I am going to purchase outright) the exchange window ends after usually 14 days (she said max 30 days at a very few stores). Now, obviously I can't go to Rogers after I unlock this phone. The big questions is - do BBRY warranties travel with the phone like iPhone warranties do? If so, and I need to exchange this phone, I have to call BBRY right? Can anyone tell me about their experience trying to get warranty replacements from BBRY after the carrier exchange period ends? Surely we're far enough along that someone has had to deal with this.
    Even when I'm within the first year warranty period, I go directly to RIM. My experiences have been great so far. I usually get a box shipped to me within two days, they take the device back and either ship me it fixed within a week or so, or usually just put a new one in the box and send it back. I've heard different experiences, and cases where RIM will send you to the carrier. My experience is that you just need to be firm and make them take the phone back directly.
    That's it for now. Yep, I'm being careful. I'm willing to take a chance on the phone in the hopes that my experience is like others who have had zero problems. I am not going to be sideloading apps or anything like that. I just want it to work for calls, email and texts, as well as web browsing.
    It's a learning curve, and there are some things that will make you step back and go "what the?!" - but give it time, and it will grow on you. It's a great device, and in the first month of it being on the market we've already received an amazing update that fixed a LOT of issues (including battery life), so although it's young, I'm more than certain that this platform will explode over the coming months... The good kind of explode that is!
    mset likes this.
    03-05-13 11:48 PM
    Even when I'm within the first year warranty period, I go directly to RIM. My experiences have been great so far. I usually get a box shipped to me within two days, they take the device back and either ship me it fixed within a week or so, or usually just put a new one in the box and send it back. I've heard different experiences, and cases where RIM will send you to the carrier. My experience is that you just need to be firm and make them take the phone back directly.
    wxman, thanks a lot for the detailed response. Good to know that the 003 will work on Telus if unlocked.

So just to be perfectly clear, you feel like the warranty moves with the handset and is not limited to the original purchaser, is that right?
    03-05-13 11:52 PM
    So just to be perfectly clear, you feel like the warranty moves with the handset and is not limited to the original purchaser, is that right?
    I'd ask around - maybe some other folks can comment on the offical stance from BlackBerry on this one.

I just know in my personal experience, I've avoided the carriers all together and just called RIM directly. They ask for the purchase date, the IMEI, the PIN, etc. I've never really had to verify anything further. Other experiences may vary though.
    03-06-13 12:05 AM
    I'd ask around - maybe some other folks can comment on the offical stance from BlackBerry on this one.

I just know in my personal experience, I've avoided the carriers all together and just called RIM directly. They ask for the purchase date, the IMEI, the PIN, etc. I've never really had to verify anything further. Other experiences may vary though.
    Thanks, I just registered up at the official BBRY forums and asked there. I have to assume that BBRY is taking their lead from other manufacturers in this.

You're probably on the mark in the sense that you just have to be firm and if the first answer is no, calmly communicate that that isn't going to be good enough or just call back, and as a last resort, escalate. I'm not bad at doing that type of thing : )
    wxmancanada likes this.
    03-06-13 12:08 AM
    Bump it up
    03-06-13 09:35 PM