--- EDIT 2 ---
    It's not possible.
    Possible to update Z10 over-the-air? (YES I MEAN AIRWAVES - NOT Wi-Fi)-z10update.png
    --- EDIT ---
    My device is a replacement from BlackBerry themselves for a faulty device purchased from ShopBlackBerry UK (Digital River). This should not be locked to any carrier right?

--- ORIGINAL MESSAGE ---
    Our Wi-Fi will soon be history in this household, as BT have increased their prices and we responded by cancelling our fibre broadband.

I never used it anyway because my Z10 is on an unlimited internet plan.
    However, I hear that BlackBerry 10.3.2 is due out in the UK around the end of September, and I'm worried that it will not be possible to update it over-the-air. Our broadband will have been terminated by then.

I don't consider Wi-Fi as over-the-air because it goes through cables and routers within your own network and only covers a short distance. More like over-the-cable. When I say OTA, I mean over-the-air as in 3G/4G data, the true meaning of OTA because it uses long distance airwaves, and doesn't use your own cables.

I found this post on the official BlackBerry support forums (even though Crackberry is better) but it's for 10.2.1, and I'm not sure if it still applies.
    I couldn't find anything else regarding OS updates OTA.

If it's not possible to update the Z10 OTA, is it a good idea to tether my laptop to my Z10, download the software update and then install it through link? Is that even possible?

If not, is there another way to update the BlackBerry software WITHOUT Wi-Fi?
    Is the Z10 a Wi-Fi preferred device? The times I've used Wi-Fi on it are very rare, I previously updated the OS through Link.

Let me know what my options are.

Thanks
    Last edited by Someone7272; 09-09-15 at 05:46 PM.
    08-31-15 09:39 PM
    You can do OTA if your carrier releases an update.
    you can try update via link
    or you can load your own using an auto loader.
    08-31-15 09:46 PM
    I personally wouldnt install updates OTA. Alot of issues from I. What have read here.

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2639
    08-31-15 09:47 PM
    3 OTA options..

1. Wait til you get the OTA update from your carrier.

2. Unlock your Z10 and get the OTA update directly from BlackBerry.

3. Unlock your Z10 and insert a Sim from another carrier that already has pushed out the 10.3.2 update.

If your not liking the above get an Autoloader.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 09:55 PM
    3 OTA options..

1. Wait til you get the OTA update from your carrier.

2. Unlock your Z10 and get the OTA update directly from BlackBerry.

3. Unlock your Z10 and insert a Sim from another carrier that already has pushed out the 10.3.2 update.

Posted via CB10
    Just to clarify:

You can't get direct updates by SIM-unlocking your device. It must be factory unlocked by BlackBerry. Even factory unlocked devices get updates by IMEI number - limiting updates to certain regions for instance.

Inserting a SIM from another carrier that is pushing the update will only work if that carrier is selling the identical variant of the device.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    Johnny Dollar likes this.
    08-31-15 09:59 PM
    Thanks for replies guys.

Just to clarify - my device is a replacement for a faulty ShopBlackBerry UK device. I've had it well over a year now, and have used local carrier SIM cards while I was visiting Malaysia once, so it should be factory unlocked right? Even they got 10.2.1 before it came out in the UK. Glad I updated it there. Doesn't seem to be a 10.3.2 update yet. It's not just me, I don't think it's been released to the UK region.

My main question is that will I be able to update it OTA - WHICH MEANS DATA (3G/LTE) - NOT Wi-Fi!
    On 10.2.1 you couldn't and I had to use BlackBerry Link to apply the update.

AutoLoaders don't work because it says "This program is blocked by group policy, contact your system administrator". Sanchesi also had this problem.
    08-31-15 10:10 PM
    Thanks for replies guys.

Just to clarify - my device is a replacement for a faulty ShopBlackBerry UK device. I've had it well over a year now, and have used local carrier SIM cards while I was visiting Malaysia once, so it should be factory unlocked right? Even they got 10.2.1 before it came out in the UK. Glad I updated it there. Doesn't seem to be a 10.3.2 update yet. It's not just me, I don't think it's been released to the UK region.

My main question is that will I be able to update it OTA - WHICH MEANS DATA (3G/LTE) - NOT Wi-Fi!
    On 10.2.1 you couldn't and I had to use BlackBerry Link to apply the update.

AutoLoaders don't work because it says "This program is blocked by group policy, contact your system administrator". Sanchesi also had this problem.
    It seems you have a factory-unlocked (never carrier branded) device. So yes, you should be able to update OTA.

Although since you are on a BES, your network administrator must presumably permit you to receive and install updates.

08-31-15 10:17 PM
    It seems you have a factory-unlocked (never carrier branded) device. So yes, you should be able to update OTA.
    That's awesome, so as soon as the update hits the UK, I'll be able to download and install the update. I won't even have to wait for Three (my carrier) to approve the update right?
    Although since you are on a BES, your network administrator must presumably permit you to receive and install updates.
    It's not on BES, it's my own personal phone which replaced my iPhone 2 years ago.
    The message about programs being blocked by group policy is on my PC when attempting to run AutoLoaders or Sanchesi.
    08-31-15 10:21 PM
    That's awesome, so as soon as the update hits the UK, I'll be able to download and install the update. I won't even have to wait for Three (my carrier) to approve the update right?

It's not on BES, it's my own personal phone which replaced my iPhone 2 years ago.
    The message about programs being blocked by group policy appears on my LAPTOP when attempting to run AutoLoaders or Sanchesi.
    You should get the update directly, yes. Carriers can determine whether updates can happen over WiFi or mobile - but I'm not aware of any restrictions with direct devices and mobile data.

Someone7272 likes this.
    08-31-15 10:26 PM
    You should get the update directly, yes. Carriers can determine whether updates can happen over WiFi or mobile - but I'm not aware of any restrictions with direct devices and mobile data.
    This is exactly what I was worried about, thanks for confirming one of my worst fears.
    Assuming the worst, couldn't I just sidestep this by inserting the SIM card into my old BlackBerry Curve 9360, activate mobile hotspot and connect my Z10 to that? Or will the carrier still block the update?
    08-31-15 10:29 PM
    This is exactly what I was worried about, thanks for confirming one of my worst fears.
    Assuming the worst, couldn't I just sidestep this by inserting the SIM card into my old BlackBerry Curve 9360, activate mobile hotspot and connect my Z10 to that? Or will the carrier still block the update?
    I'm not sure that would fool the carrier. But maybe. I'm not saying that your Carrier will block the update, or that they necessarily have control over it because it's a factory unlocked device. I'm just saying it's a possible problem.

It might be easier to find a PC that is unencumbered by corporate policy and run the 10.3.2.2639 autoloader.

Someone7272 likes this.
    08-31-15 10:33 PM
    I'm not sure that would fool the carrier. But maybe. I'm not saying that your Carrier will block the update, or that they necessarily have control over it because it's a factory unlocked device. I'm just saying it's a possible problem.

It might be easier to find a PC that is unencumbered by corporate policy and run the 10.3.2.2639 autoloader.

Well it's worth a shot I suppose if worst comes.

All of our computers seem to have this policy preventing the programs from running but I looked at our policies, and there's no Software Restriction policies defined. So it's really strange. I wonder if it's McAfee related. Installed applications run fine.
    08-31-15 10:36 PM
    yes, you can do the updates OTA (i meant, through a real OTA connection) even though BBRY always advises you not to do so as it will burn your internet data quota but since you have an unlimited data bundle on your plan so there is nothing you need to concern about.

however, ensure that the 3G/LTE reception in your area is good enough as OTA update doesn't like any drop outs..
    08-31-15 10:40 PM
    yes, you can do the updates OTA (i meant, through a real OTA connection) even though BBRY always advises you not to do so as it will burn your internet data quota but since you have an unlimited data bundle on your plan so there is nothing you need to concern about.

however, ensure that the 3G/LTE reception in your area is good enough as OTA update doesn't like any drop outs..
    It's not that simple. Service providers have some control over whether or not updates can be done on mobile or wifi. Look at your options for software updates - it will tell you as much.

08-31-15 10:44 PM
    Depending on your data plan you could switch on the hotshot function and hook up a laptop or desktop w/wifi adapter to the hotspot and download the links that way.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 12:54 AM
    Pretty sure you can't do a large update OTA through the carrier network.
    Never been able to on my passport anyway.
    09-01-15 07:16 AM
    Never been a problem for me as long as you don't go over your monthly data quota.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 08:20 AM
    --- EDIT ---
    My device is a replacement from BlackBerry themselves for a faulty device purchased from ShopBlackBerry UK (Digital River). This should not be locked to any carrier right?

--- ORIGINAL MESSAGE ---
    Our Wi-Fi will soon be history in this household, as BT have increased their prices and we responded by cancelling our fibre broadband.

I never used it anyway because my Z10 is on an unlimited internet plan.
    However, I hear that BlackBerry 10.3.2 is due out in the UK around the end of September, and I'm worried that it will not be possible to update it over-the-air. Our broadband will have been terminated by then.

I don't consider Wi-Fi as over-the-air because it goes through cables and routers within your own network and only covers a short distance. More like over-the-cable. When I say OTA, I mean over-the-air as in 3G/4G data, the true meaning of OTA because it uses long distance airwaves, and doesn't use your own cables.

I found this post on the official BlackBerry support forums (even though Crackberry is better) but it's for 10.2.1, and I'm not sure if it still applies.
    I couldn't find anything else regarding OS updates OTA.

If it's not possible to update the Z10 OTA, is it a good idea to tether my laptop to my Z10, download the software update and then install it through link? Is that even possible?

If not, is there another way to update the BlackBerry software WITHOUT Wi-Fi?
    Is the Z10 a Wi-Fi preferred device? The times I've used Wi-Fi on it are very rare, I previously updated the OS through Link.

Let me know what my options are.

Thanks
    Go to Starbucks or so and download it. And like they tell you download the software trough Link with your Z10 as Hotspot. Then install it. It should work?

Z10 STL100-2 10.3.1779
    09-01-15 09:19 AM
    Never been a problem for me as long as you don't go over your monthly data quota.
    Two conflicting experiences. As mentioned, I don't have a monthly data quota, it's purely unlimited. Heck, I've blown through 800GB in a month a while back, and although my carrier noticed, they didn't do anything, so why should I not be allowed to download like a 200MB software update?

Go to Starbucks or so and download it. And like they tell you download the software trough Link with your Z10 as Hotspot. Then install it. It should work?
    I'd like to keep public Wi-Fi out of the equation where possible because I don't trust it. Also, the nearest Starbucks to me requires going into the departure lounge of a nearby airport, and I ain't planning on flying anywhere soon, not to mention that I hate coffee!
    09-01-15 06:52 PM
    I'd like to keep public Wi-Fi out of the equation where possible because I don't trust it. Also, the nearest Starbucks to me requires going into the departure lounge of a nearby airport, and I ain't planning on flying anywhere soon, not to mention that I hate coffee!
    I feel you I hate coffee too but you can still do my second thing. Hookup your phone trough USB or Hotspot and make it download the newest software then when the software is downloaded you can install it.

But found something fishy.

Possible to update Z10 over-the-air? (YES I MEAN AIRWAVES - NOT Wi-Fi)-img_20150902_125455.png
    If you go into the settings app and go to software update and press setting again. You will be able to enable automatic download and it does say.
    According to your Carrier the update will be installed via WiFi or mobile data. So yes I think it's possible to update over mobile data

Z10 STL100-2 10.3.1779
    09-02-15 05:56 AM
    Well it's dropped...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z10update.png 
Views:	267 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	370631
    And of course, just my luck, the bastards aren't allowing OTA updates.
    Sure they'll let me stream over 500GB of video and music in a month, but I can't download a 410MB OTA update.
    Absolutely ridiculous. BlackBerry should really add a "Download anyway" button or some other option to force download the update regardless over celluar data. Screw the scumbag carriers.

Well looks like it'll be a while before I update to 10.3.2.

Is there any way to turn off the annoying update notification? It keeps complaining and telling me to connect to Wi-Fi every 5 damn minutes! NO THANKS, F*** OFF!

We're currently considering our broadband options, looking at fibre in order to get our computer network back online. We're not sure what we're going to do yet, but when we get the systems back online, I'll update my Z10 to 10.3.2 using BlackBerry Link.
    Geee why have they gotta make it so complicated!
    09-09-15 05:34 PM
    Download the blitz. 2639, off load the file to your PC via USB and drag to sachesi.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 08:15 PM
    Download the blitz. 2639, off load the file to your PC via USB and drag to sachesi.
    Thanks, but I would have no idea how to do that. Also, before terminating our Internet access with BT, I did try Sanchesi, but the program simply wouldn't launch, saying "This program is blocked by Group Policy, contact your administrator", but I can't seem to find out what's actually causing this.
    09-10-15 10:37 AM
    Thanks, but I would have no idea how to do that. Also, before terminating our Internet access with BT, I did try Sanchesi, but the program simply wouldn't launch, saying "This program is blocked by Group Policy, contact your administrator", but I can't seem to find out what's actually causing this.
    Try to download the Update trough Link via PC while your connected to your Hotspot (phone). Once the download is finished it will start installation and it should normally be turned off.

Z10 STL100-2 10.3.1779
    09-10-15 10:44 AM
    The latest blitz file to download... http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...vices-1036022/

Sachesi... https://github.com/xsacha/Sachesi/releases/

Sachesi is installed on a PC, not your phone if that's what you meant when you said "This program is blocked by Group Policy, contact your administrator"

(as I know it)
    Download the Blitz file to your phone.
    With a USB cable, copy the Blitz file to your PC.
    Extract the Blitz file.
    Start BlackBerry Link.
    Start Sachesi.
    Click on the install tab.
    Drag the extracted folder to it.

It will install the necessary files just like if you were doing an OTA upgrade.
    Last edited by Rustybronco; 09-10-15 at 11:15 AM.
    09-10-15 11:02 AM
29 12