Hey everyone, not sure if there is a fix for this but I noticed on BBM when I'm cropping a picture, there's no way to zoom in and out. You can only move the crop box around then save, leaving many pictures cropped out or incorrectly sized. Is there a way to fix this problem or will we have to just wait and see? Thanks

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 06:15 AM
    Are you speaking about the profile pictures? I think if you crop a smaller portion of the picture, it will zoom it to fit the proper size.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 06:27 AM
    Are you speaking about the profile pictures? I think if you crop a smaller portion of the picture, it will zoom it to fit the proper size.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I mean the profile pic. If I'm posting a large pic I have to crop for it to fit. But when I'm cropping I can not. Zoom in or out to make the entire picture fit. So I always crop out part of a good picture that I'd rather not have to.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 06:38 AM
    Oh... I know what you mean. it's because you probably take picture in 16:9 and the cropping brings it to a square ratio. The maximum size you can zoom out for sure will chop out part of the picture. Basically the maximum size is the biggest square you can draw in the picture. You can't get more of the picture or else you'll be left with black stripes.

Picture Cropping issue on BBM-img_00000528.png

Is this what you mean? There is no way I can get the square bigger to get more of the picture because it's the biggest possible square I can draw in that picture

Posted via CB10
    BlackberryTorcher likes this.
    05-27-13 09:49 PM
    Hey everyone, not sure if there is a fix for this but I noticed on BBM when I'm cropping a picture, there's no way to zoom in and out. You can only move the crop box around then save, leaving many pictures cropped out or incorrectly sized. Is there a way to fix this problem or will we have to just wait and see? Thanks

Posted via CB10
    No way to fix this as of late... unlike the legacy devices where you could easily zoom out and have the entire picture be displayed, it's not an option as of late on BB10.
    05-27-13 09:54 PM
    That's weird because it only started doing this with 10.1

I don't recall having to crop the BBM profile pic with 10.0.

Posted via CB10 using a Z10
    05-27-13 09:59 PM
    That's weird because it only started doing this with 10.1

I don't recall having to crop the BBM profile pic with 10.0.

Posted via CB10 using a Z10
    It was the same with 10.0 , there were a few threads about it as some users missed the option you had in the legacy BBs
    05-27-13 10:01 PM
    Oh... I know what you mean. it's because you probably take picture in 16:9 and the cropping brings it to a square ratio. The maximum size you can zoom out for sure will chop out part of the picture. Basically the maximum size is the biggest square you can draw in the picture. You can't get more of the picture or else you'll be left with black stripes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000528.png 
Views:	879 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	166047

Is this what you mean? There is no way I can get the square bigger to get more of the picture because it's the biggest possible square I can draw in that picture

Posted via CB10
    Yes that is exactly what I mean. We should be able to pinch to zoom or minimize the pictures so they can always fit.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 10:56 PM
    No way to fix this as of late... unlike the legacy devices where you could easily zoom out and have the entire picture be displayed, it's not an option as of late on BB10.
    That really sucks. Hopefully they get it ironed out in 10.2.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 11:00 PM
    That really sucks. Hopefully they get it ironed out in 10.2.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, let's hope so... I do miss that.
    05-27-13 11:03 PM
    Yes that is exactly what I mean. We should be able to pinch to zoom or minimize the pictures so they can always fit.

Posted via CB10
    You can't minimise much more cause the vertical size of the pic is at it maximum. If I try to make the box bigger, either we lose the picture ratio or we get black stripes on the top and bottom

But you can zoom in thought. Look at the pic.

Picture Cropping issue on BBM-img_00000530.png

All you do is to put a small square on the section you want to zoom into. Look at the picture, I zoomed into the tree by making the crop on that area.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 11:30 PM
    Zooming in isn't the problem, it's the zooming out part! OP means he's only able to get a portion of the picture used as profile pic and not the picture in its entirety. Legacy BB's you could use any picture and fit it as you liked, zooming out to get the majority of the shot.
    BlackberryTorcher likes this.
    05-27-13 11:50 PM
    Zooming in isn't the problem, it's the zooming out part! OP means he's only able to get a portion of the picture used as profile pic and not the picture in its entirety. Legacy BB's you could use any picture and fit it as you liked, zooming out to get the majority of the shot.
    Yeah i know but if you zoom out... you are gonna get a black band on the top and on the bottom of the picture... look at my first picture I posted, you can't zoom out more, it's the maximum the laws of physic will allow!

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 05:33 AM
    Precisely. Thank you for understanding. It sucks to not be able to fit entire pics in a profile. Takes the fun out of BBM if you ask me. On BlackBerry os 7.1 I used to change pictures all day but now on 10.0/10.1 I find myself using the same profile pic for weeks on end.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 06:47 AM
    Yeah i know but if you zoom out... you are gonna get a black band on the top and on the bottom of the picture... look at my first picture I posted, you can't zoom out more, it's the maximum the laws of physic will allow!

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure you understand what we are trying to do. What I'm saying is, I'd like to be able to zoom out or minimize the pictures so that I can display the entire picture in my profile on BBM otherwise I have to crop out part of the pictures.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 06:50 AM
    I'm not sure you understand what we are trying to do. What I'm saying is, I'd like to be able to zoom out or minimize the pictures so that I can display the entire picture in my profile on BBM otherwise I have to crop out part of the pictures.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah i know what you mean. But you can't display the entire rectangular picture in a square no matter how you zoom out... unless you leave rectangular bars on the top or bottom (or both).

it's just impossible to fit a rectangle in a square unless you leave unfilled spots.

Posted via CB10
    niss63 likes this.
    05-28-13 03:49 PM
    Yeah i know what you mean. But you can't display the entire rectangular picture in a square no matter how you zoom out... unless you leave rectangular bars on the top or bottom (or both).

it's just impossible to fit a rectangle in a square unless you leave unfilled spots.

Posted via CB10
    *Face palm

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 07:35 PM
    Ok enough with what physics can do or not. It was working with OS7, no reason it should not be on 10. If blackberry thinks their doing us a favor by giving us perfectly cropped and physics abiding pictures, allow me to say thanks but no thanks....

Posted via CB10
    kishbaby and andorejunior like this.
    06-22-13 08:47 AM
    I found the solution!!! Before throwing the picture, set the aspect ratio to 1:1. The pic will fit right into the cropping square perfectly. Have fun!

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 07:31 PM
    How would I do that?
    11-10-13 12:42 PM
    How would I do that?
    Turn on the camera. Once open, hit the more button (three dots) and you will have all the options like flash, etc
    .. and you will see ratio. Set it to 1:1 and take a pic.

When you go into BBM and change your profile picture, select the picture you just took. You will notice it fits perfectly within the crop area.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 12:53 PM
    But that still doesn't solve the issue with existing pictures does it?
    12-01-13 01:18 PM
    Hi,

I had this same issue and found it very frustrating! However, I was able to work my way around it. Open the picture you would like to use and take a screen shot of it using your volume keys, now go back to the saved screenshot of the pic and proceed to crop it, this should work. Hope it helps!!!
    06-11-14 06:18 AM
    tried that method, but it still will not let you use full picture without cropping and losing part of the picture
    06-11-14 10:34 AM
    I used Effetica photo editor downloaded from BlackBerry World, just edit your photo with the app by using the "pad" feature, set to square and modify the color of the border according to your liking.
    It is really a good photo editor, try it, its free.

Btw, what i hate about BBM in OS10 is that the BBM profile picture is too compressed. Not as clear as BBM in OS 5, 6 or 7.
    Waiting for a fix from BBRY.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 10:44 AM
26 12