This week someone smashed in our car window to steal my wife's iPhone that she accidentally left in there while playing volleyball. Obviously we're not the first people to have this happen, however, I'm still going to rant to anyone who will listen.

1. It is indescribably frustrating to think of these thieves who cause over a thousand dollars of damage to steal a phone that they'll get, what, $200 for? Please just leave a note on my windshield with your address and I'll send you a cheque for $200 (read: I will show up on your doorstep and beat the $hit out of you and take or destroy everything you own).

2. Insurance companies are frustrating: one deductible for the car, one deductable for the phone = $750. What? I don't have rental car coverage on my policy? Add $300. Note to everyone: ask your insurance company about this. It costs almost nothing to add. I also lost a day's wages talking on the phone to insurance companies and driving around to get repair quotes.

3. How can ANYONE sell a stolen phone? The IMEI is locked to the device, is it not? Even if there's a way to change it, the average 2-bit thief won't know how. A reported stolen phone should immediately go into full time tracking mode directly to a central authority if it ever gets turned on and otherwise be permanently bricked so no one could ever sell it. I'm sure that iPhone is already on Kijiji (I've looked, and there's several posted in the last few days - tempted to go check them out, baseball bat in hand, but then of course I become the criminal, right?).

The only good thing that's coming out of this? My wife is choosing Z10 to replace her iPhone (you may have seen my numerous complaints about her always using my BB).

To anyone buying a used phone: if it doesn't come with any charging cables, etc. perhaps that's a clue. There's no reason why the seller shouldn't be able to produce a receipt, a phone bill, or some other proof that they obtained the phone legally. Turn on the phone and make sure the seller can unlock it (though they probably wiped it).

To the vendors and carries: by law there should be a standard OS native app that allows a one-touch IMEI check to tell you if the phone has been reported stolen (and it should work SIM-less like 911 does). In the meantime, surely you could dial *611 or whatever and ask them to check the IMEI? If there isn't a way to check an IMEI right now, it should be the number 1 priority of the carriers to provide that service. Even a simple web page to enter the number and report "stolen" or "ok". Come on.
    04-05-13 12:27 PM
    Did you configure Find my iPhone to try and track your phone?

Apple (Canada) - iPhone 5 - iCloud. Your content on every device.
    04-05-13 12:34 PM
    Funny to this day I never heard operator is willing to block the phone's IMEI on the network when they get stolen. Even if they do, they can still switch operator and the phone will still works. I don't think they are willing to brick the phone as well although I believe this is possible.
    My sister had lost 3 phones so far, and not single one of them was ever recovered. The phone operator just blocked the sim card.
    04-05-13 12:36 PM
    For car windows, it's practically not worth your time filing an insurance claim for it. It's cheaper just to pay for the new window. Not sure about the deductible vs. cost of replacing the phone for that, so I won't comment. I've been through the smashed window before though, and it really was cheaper to just pay out of pocket for the window. And you wouldn't have to deal with the increase on your premium.

That sucks that it happened to you. I hope you can find some sort of resolution to your problem.

JB
    04-05-13 12:37 PM
    Sorry about the robbery, it sucks that we live in a world like this with scum like that.

I remember many many years ago my car was broken into and my StarTac was stolen. I was in high school and I felt so badass with that phone, it was brand new and all the hype back then.

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    BlackberryPig and jrlong like this.
    04-05-13 12:41 PM
    carriers can black or flag a IMEI but they cannot prevent stolen phones from being used.

The phone can be "wiped" and used on another carrier.

sorry to hear about your car, that sucks. and I hear you about insurance compaines, they just money pitts. When you need them they never there for you....

anyway good luck
    jrlong likes this.
    04-05-13 12:51 PM
    Yep, but the phone's offline, of course. Even dumb thieves know to turn off the phone when they steal it. I guess I could continuously check and maybe catch it online if someone tests it out?

Good wiki on IMEI -- it is indeed hard to change (needs special equipment), it can be blacklisted, and the blacklist is central "IF" carriers are part of the service. Again, this should be mandatory, and there should be an ultra-easy way for a user to check it.
    International Mobile Station Equipment Identity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks to everyone else for the condolences!
    04-05-13 02:34 PM
    For car windows, it's practically not worth your time filing an insurance claim for it. It's cheaper just to pay for the new window. Not sure about the deductible vs. cost of replacing the phone for that, so I won't comment.
    Best quote on the window was $500, deductible was $250 and vandalism doesn't raise my premiums, so we're doing that through insurance. The phone, however, is under the $500 house deductible, so we're eating that cost. It's really the lost time that's the biggest issue -- insurance won't cover that! Sigh.
    04-05-13 02:37 PM
    Ugh that sucks. Stealing is one thing but damaging property in the process is so much more frustrating. On the up side nobody was hurt and things can always be replaced. I understand the time issue as well... hopefully you're back up and running soon!

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    04-05-13 02:42 PM
    Last I heard, it cost about 80-100 to replace a broken iPhone screen.

Probably sold the phone for its parts. He/she can probably get a piece of crack for $10-$15, maybe less these days. So to them, that phone was worth it.

I didn't think drugs was so cheap especially hard core drugs like that, but sadly they are.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 02:48 PM
    vandalism doesn't raise my premiums
    I have a feeling they will find other ways to raise it.
    04-05-13 02:54 PM
    That really sucks. That's why I make sure no electronics can be visibly seen in my car (and generally carries phones and tablets with me).
    tinker2000 likes this.
    04-05-13 02:56 PM
    I have a feeling they will find other ways to raise it.
    Absolutely.

Expect your deductible to go up upon renewal. I can almost guarantee it.

-Chris-
    04-05-13 02:58 PM
    I got mugged once for my I pod touch so I know where you're coming from.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 03:00 PM
    Yep, but the phone's offline, of course. Even dumb thieves know to turn off the phone when they steal it. I guess I could continuously check and maybe catch it online if someone tests it out?

Good wiki on IMEI -- it is indeed hard to change (needs special equipment), it can be blacklisted, and the blacklist is central "IF" carriers are part of the service. Again, this should be mandatory, and there should be an ultra-easy way for a user to check it.
    International Mobile Station Equipment Identity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks to everyone else for the condolences!
    Once the thief does a hard reset, i believe that your locate app will no longer work to track your phone as it would no longer be associated to your account.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 06:25 PM
    Absolutely.

Expect your deductible to go up upon renewal. I can almost guarantee it.

-Chris-
    They can't raise your deductible, that is a decision you as the policy holder would make
    04-05-13 06:29 PM
    "2. Insurance companies are frustrating: one deductible for the car, one deductable for the phone = $750. What? I don't have rental car coverage on my policy? Add $300. Note to everyone: ask your insurance company about this. It costs almost nothing to add. I also lost a day's wages talking on the phone to insurance companies and driving around to get repair quotes."

your auto policy covers the vehicle and the vehicle alone to include permanently installed items. The content personal items within the car are covered by home owners/ renters policy

How many quotes did you get? Most insurance companies do their own estimates these days
    04-05-13 06:31 PM
    I always found this fundamental shortcoming of Find My iPhone extremely frustrating. BlackBerry Protect is pretty useless since it takes no consideration to remove the battery and maybe even the SIM card since the slot is immediately underneath it. iPhone batteries are sealed, and you need something firmer than a paperclip to eject the SIM card. I've written to Apple suggesting that when Find My iPhone and a passcode lock are activated, the passcode should be required to turn the phone off. Obviously this hasn't happened, and it would be a fairly effective, simple solution to a big problem.

Congrats to your wife on the Z10 though!
    04-07-13 10:42 PM
    Can u track it?

Call you provider and see if they can ban it from their service.

Try a call it.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    04-08-13 06:35 AM
    Cold comfort at the moment, but, in Canada by September 30, 2013, there is supposed be a system in place that will blacklist reported stolen phones across all networks
    Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association | Canada's Wireless Carriers Take Action to Help Battle Smartphone Theft
    04-08-13 07:05 AM
    Some people just make this world, awful.
    Sad for your phone, and the insurance problems, and especially sorry for you.
    Last edited by SpiralBorg; 04-11-13 at 02:13 AM.
    04-10-13 04:05 PM