Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By m1kr0
  • 1 Post By m1kr0
  • 2 Post By jojon2se
  • 1 Post By m1kr0
  • 1 Post By misterabrasive
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Phone app popping up when I don't want it to

The one persistent annoyance with my z10 is the way the phone app always wants to pop up when I make a call. I frequently dial and then need to look up other information. But the stupid phone screen keeps coming back up once the call is connected. Any one know how to turn this off?

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

I agree. I've written to BlackBerry about this too. Very annoying.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,248 Global Posts

Swipe up and put "phone call" in active frame

CrackBerry Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.1130/1154 bars
    Rockin' a Black STL100-4...Z10 10.3.1.1151, Debug Token ...on Verizon, 64 GB WiFi Playbook.
    HP Elite M9340f Quad Core, OCZ 64GB Vertex 3 SSD +1TB HDD, Vista SP2 Media Center Edition, 6GB Ram,
    Logitech MOMO Force Feedback Racing Wheel with Pedals and Shifter.
    CrackBerry Abuser

This forced focus shift keeps annoying me too. Same when the call ends.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,417 Global Posts

Its a PHONE, not a Gameboy or a iPod. Of course the phone app will be predominant when busy with a phone call. It can be minimized into an active frame.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.3.0.1052
    The most underrated phone in the universe.
    der_mit and Traxxmy like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,417 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emreipet View Post
    ence bu telefon bir harika dostum hemen alacağım..
    Sorry my Turkish is a bit rusty lol. Did not get that.

CrackBerry Abuser

Sorry, but smartphones these days are pretty much pocketable computers, with the phone functionality almost thrown in as an afterthought -- if we're going down the "it's a phone" route, I should not have to start a phone application in the first place, in order to make a call (...and man, is the phone app UI clunky).

BB10 is also a multitasking OS, which, as you yourself said, allows me to switch out of an application, including the phone one, and do something else, whilst it keeps working in the background.

When the phone app forecfully rips me away from what I am doing and takes GUI focus, in a situation where its GUI has nothing to offer; That breaks my workflow - it's that productivity thing that is usually cherished around here.
    I can hear that the call is going through or ending - no need to auto-jump to a screen that doesn't really show much on the matter anyway -- let the user decide.

I've had quite a few: "Hey, I'm typing here!", situations, when I have been finishing up call notes, or pulling up some information in preparation for a call, whilst waiting for it to go through.
    If you haven't; Good for you - not everybody needs to multitask as a user.

EDIT: Note that we are mainly talking outgoing calls here (...and the ending of either). An incoming call can hog the screen all it wants.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by m1kr0 View Post
    Its a PHONE, not a Gameboy or a iPod. Of course the phone app will be predominant when busy with a phone call. It can be minimized into an active frame.

What kind of fan boy excuse is that? Wake up, its 2014. We spend more time with our phones than anything else ever before. Active frame does nothing in this case, try running a navigation, the phone app keeps popping up when a call is connected and disconnected.

I switch at least 3 phones a year, from Android to Windows, now BlackBerry. This is the only system that annoys me when it comes to call communication.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,417 Global Posts

Nothing to do with being a fanboy here mate. It's predominantly a phone and all the rest is add-ons. The phone app will take focus over all the rest and so it should be,because its a phone.

Posted via CB10
    der_mit likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Aleij Barb View Post
    What kind of fan boy excuse is that? Wake up, its 2014. We spend more time with our phones than anything else ever before. Active frame does nothing in this case, try running a navigation, the phone app keeps popping up when a call is connected and disconnected.

I switch at least 3 phones a year, from Android to Windows, now BlackBerry. This is the only system that annoys me when it comes to call communication.

Posted via CB10
    It's a phone and it's primary function is to make calls and receive calls. This is what it designed for. For everything else there is desktop, laptop or tablet.

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    CrackBerry Abuser

It should also be made out of bakelite and require a lady at a switchboard to connect your call for you.
    F2 and Aleij Barb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jojon2se View Post
    It should also be made out of bakelite and require a lady at a switchboard to connect your call for you.
    You are revealing your age!

And why is it still called a "DIAL" pad?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Traxxmy View Post
    It's a phone and it's primary function is to make calls and receive calls. This is what it designed for. For everything else there is desktop, laptop or tablet.

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player

Yeah and there is GameBoy, Garmin, point and shoot camera, notepads to bring along with your Z10.

Let me ask you this, what's the point to have the Phone app pop back up when someone hangs up after a call is finished? Because OP and I certainly don't see any.

You guys just wouldn't acknowledge a design flaw. But when BlackBerry makes an improvement on it, you all say "oh mah gawd, this update is the best thing everrrrrr!"

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,417 Global Posts

I was browsing the Amazon app store when my phone rang. The phone app took center stage as it is designed to do. I recognize its from my buddy and took the call. I put him on speaker and grabbed a juice from the fridge, continuing the conversation. I remembered the Amazon app was still running and I minimized the phone app in an active frame to close the Amazon app (I don't like things sitting in active frames, doing nothing - bad habit, I know). I closed the Amazon app store and after chatting for another few minutes, the phone app popped up again: call was disconnected - some network congestion. To me the phone is doing exactly what it is designed to do. If the connection is lost, this is what should happen.

CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by m1kr0 View Post
    I was browsing the Amazon app store when my phone rang. The phone app took center stage as it is designed to do. I recognize its from my buddy and took the call. I put him on speaker and grabbed a juice from the fridge, continuing the conversation. I remembered the Amazon app was still running and I minimized the phone app in an active frame to close the Amazon app (I don't like things sitting in active frames, doing nothing - bad habit, I know). I closed the Amazon app store and after chatting for another few minutes, the phone app popped up again: call was disconnected - some network congestion. To me the phone is doing exactly what it is designed to do. If the connection is lost, this is what should happen.

I couldn't care less about the network congestion message as a result of the Phone app popping up. I'm talking about when the call is connected and disconnected in a normal working condition.

FYI, when a call disconnects, the phone makes a very distinctive tone. Unless you're impaired, you will know the call is dropped/disconnected. You don't need roses and unicorns to show you visually "your call has been discounted".

The same applies to when the call is connected. Try dial a number, push the Phone app to active frame, and continue typing on a document or email, the Phone app will pop back up when it begins to ring.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,417 Global Posts

And you can't wait 10 seconds for the line to connect? How many words can you actually type in the few seconds while you wait for the line to connect? I think you are splitting hairs here, but whatever. Enjoy your crusade. I'm happy with the way it works currently. You can go here: https://blackberry.icanmakeitbetter.com instead of posting on CB where BlackBerry may not find your suggestions between all the forum posts.

der_mit likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by Aleij Barb View Post
    I couldn't care less about the network congestion message as a result of the Phone app popping up. I'm talking about when the call is connected and disconnected in a normal working condition.

FYI, when a call disconnects, the phone makes a very distinctive tone. Unless you're impaired, you will know the call is dropped/disconnected. You don't need roses and unicorns to show you visually "your call has been discounted".

The same applies to when the call is connected. Try dial a number, push the Phone app to active frame, and continue typing on a document or email, the Phone app will pop back up when it begins to ring.

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like you are way too overworked and underpaid if you can't wait the 2 seconds it takes to start ringing before you do something else. :-D

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    der_mit likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I can certainly take as much time as I want, but this isn't the problem here. The problem is...this is a smartphone, is it not? It's made to convenience ourselves, is it not? Why should I have to inconvenience myself and work around a smartphone? It's especially dangerous when a the Phone app pops back up while navigating.

Judging by your replies, sounds like you guys have never touched another competitors device. Personally I couldn't care less if BlackBerry will eventually fix this, although a few of my suggestions have been considered and implemented on the last few leaks.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Ok here is the scenario. I have a PDF with a seven digit code thst has to be typed in. I need to swap apps and the stupid phone system gives me very little time to dial the numbers.

For those of you saying "it's mainly a phone" go back to your Bold 9000, or better yet, get an old Nokia.
    I use thousands of minutes a month. I use a phone to actually make phone calls more than anyone I know but I need to do so many things while I am on my phone.

It is not unusual for me to have 8 windows up on my phone at once.

Posted via CB10