I used to work for Bell at numerous locations including the Eaton centre and phones getting ripped off are nothing new, we would just replace them and thats it. Usually iphones but I rememer somebody even shaved off the corners on the playbook in order to take it. No matter what security we use they find a way to get past it.
    Shaved off the corners?! But how does that happen without employees noticing? I mean it must take a couple of minutes and the procedure itself can't be that inconspicuous can it? These people have balls....
    02-20-13 11:31 PM
    Ive seen some locations where the demo phones (usually fake, in one occasion real) are no longer stuck to the security cord, or the backplate can be removed, etc.

got a fake torch once from a friend who saw it wasnt glued down.
    02-20-13 11:37 PM
    Shaved off the corners?! But how does that happen without employees noticing? I mean it must take a couple of minutes and the procedure itself can't be that inconspicuous can it? These people have balls....
    Easy.. When the store is busy & someone stands right beside the other one that is doing it but has his / her back towards the person doing it. Hiding it that way. There is many ways to do this without reps noticing.
    02-20-13 11:37 PM
    This is WHY they put fake demo phones out there. The real demos would be in the hands of the reps or in the back. This is why the stores down here rarely have live demos out.
    02-20-13 11:38 PM
    I bought mine from carphone warehouse in UK just after launch, wasn't sure they had any, no demonstration models, when I asked they explained that they expected it to be stolen, due to how easy it is to remove the phone's rear cover!

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 11:56 PM
    Watch for Z10 battery covers to get bid up to $300 a piece on eBay
    Or the thieves can sell them on eBay as "thinner, lighter model of Z10!".
    EauRouge likes this.
    02-21-13 12:04 AM
    Along with every other smartphone. The Z10 is not somehow special.
    02-21-13 12:17 AM
    They do that to your wallet too.

Some stores do not use that. They just use the alarm wire on the back of the device with the square sticky. Most Rogers stores tho use the steel displays tho.
    02-21-13 02:04 AM
    This has nothing to do with Blackberry or the Z10 or Toronto.

I managed a Cell Phone store for years and ALL demo phones are Constantly being stolen/attempted to be stolen. Happens Every Single Day with All demo phones.
    bodjor likes this.
    02-21-13 02:39 AM
    Along with every other smartphone. The Z10 is not somehow special.
    right. lots of things get stolen all the time. whether or not you think the z10 is special isn't the point of this thread, but the topic is people stealing the z10. were you looking for something different in the z10 section of the forum?

This has nothing to do with Blackberry or the Z10 or Toronto.
    I managed a Cell Phone store for years and ALL demo phones are Constantly being stolen/attempted to be stolen. Happens Every Single Day with All demo phones.
    just like the other guy you fail to see the point. the op was talking about blackberry, the z10 and toronto. as was almost every one else in this thread, which is in a z10 forum. stay on topic fellas. if i was a mod i'd refund your two cents.
    02-21-13 12:36 PM
    in the stores I go to, there are special charging cables hooked up to live demo phones such that unplugging them sets off a loud alarm. They still have a secondary cable glued to the back of course. I've accidentally set one off before.
    02-21-13 12:58 PM
    I want the Z10 bad, to the point of nail biteing, but won't go that far.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    02-21-13 01:02 PM
    Not sure about the Z1010, but I believe most demo products usually won't work unless they're in the stand? Think this is the case with games consoles anyway?

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 01:03 PM
    Lol @ people not stealing in Qatar. You get your hands chopped off if you do. I doubt anyone would want to trade a hand for z10.

Toronto never ceases to amaze me.

Posted via CB10

That's alright. You only need one to operate the phone

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 01:05 PM
    Build the store like a jewelry store with a double lock vestibule where you need to be buzzed in and out.

Put sensors on all phones. The alarm rings u don't leave the store.

More of a hassle but you will lose less phones

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 01:09 PM
    just like the other guy you fail to see the point. the op was talking about blackberry, the z10 and toronto. as was almost every one else in this thread, which is in a z10 forum. stay on topic fellas. if i was a mod i'd refund your two cents.
    WTF are you talking about? My comment was very on topic, more so than many of the other comments here, why are you not harassing them?

I mentioned that I managed a cell phone store and so had lots of first hand knowledge of what he was talking about. I also mentioned that this kind of thing happens every day. So how is that not "on topic"?

And who made you the topic police? Why are you harassing me for what you perceive to be off topic? (especially when it is Completely On topic?)
    bodjor likes this.
    02-21-13 01:10 PM
    WTF are you talking about?
    easy big fella. thanks for your expert, first hand knowledge on the fact that people steal phones every day. since you'd like to know what i'm talking about i'll break it down for you.

"This has nothing to do with Blackberry or the Z10 or Toronto." i disagree. i think it has everything to do with blackberry (this is crackberry, right?), the z10 (this is the z10 forum, right?) and because the OP was talking about two specific stores in TO, toronto as well. here we have our topics, if you're not talking about any of those things (you aren't, you clearly even said it has nothing to do with blackberry or the z10 or toronto), why even post?

"I managed a Cell Phone store for years" awesome. good for you. was it in toronto? (don't bother answering that)

"and ALL demo phones are Constantly being stolen/attempted to be stolen. Happens Every Single Day with All demo phones." while this is fact, it is off topic. on this blackberry news/fan/appreciation site, in this z10 forum we're talking about people stealing blackberry demo devices, specifically the z10 and you come on here talking about "ALL demo phones". who cares about all demo phones? did the op say only blackberry demo phones were being stolen? no he/she didn't. so even if your trying to correct him/her this part is irrelevant.

sorry for the sass but i don't like when we're all on here talking about blackberry and its products and someone comes along and derails a conversation by making it a competition including all other phones/platforms. Happens Every Single Day.
    02-21-13 02:17 PM
    easy big fella. thanks for your expert, first hand knowledge on the fact that people steal phones every day. since you'd like to know what i'm talking about i'll break it down for you.

"This has nothing to do with Blackberry or the Z10 or Toronto." i disagree. i think it has everything to do with blackberry (this is crackberry, right?), the z10 (this is the z10 forum, right?) and because the OP was talking about two specific stores in TO, toronto as well. here we have our topics, if you're not talking about any of those things (you aren't, you clearly even said it has nothing to do with blackberry or the z10 or toronto), why even post?

"I managed a Cell Phone store for years" awesome. good for you. was it in toronto? (don't bother answering that)

"and ALL demo phones are Constantly being stolen/attempted to be stolen. Happens Every Single Day with All demo phones." while this is fact, it is off topic. on this blackberry news/fan/appreciation site, in this z10 forum we're talking about people stealing blackberry demo devices, specifically the z10 and you come on here talking about "ALL demo phones". who cares about all demo phones? did the op say only blackberry demo phones were being stolen? no he/she didn't. so even if your trying to correct him/her this part is irrelevant.

sorry for the sass but i don't like when we're all on here talking about blackberry and its products and someone comes along and derails a conversation by making it a competition including all other phones/platforms. Happens Every Single Day.
    What is your issue? Seriously why are you harrasing me about this?

This is a discussion forum. I am adding to the discussion. Why can't add my personal input to the discussion?

Why is your comment about expecting no less from the citizens of Toronto more relevant to the discussion than me discussing my firsthand knowledge on the subject? And who cares if it is or isn't? I was simply adding to the discussion same as everyone else here, why am I not allowed to do that?

We are talking about demo phones being stolen. I was talking about demo phones being stolen.

Please stop trying to censor people here we can all add to the discussion in any way we see fit as long as we are not attacking other members (...kind of like you are doing).

And to answer the question you asked me and then told me not to answer (then why did you ask it?) Yes both in Toronto and Vancouver.
    bodjor likes this.
    02-21-13 02:35 PM
    I'd like to see this theft punishment policy come to the U.S.!,....first,...start with a finger!,...if the habitual thief doesn't get it by the time they get to his or her thumb,...then whack off the entire hand! That'll teach 'em.

Lol @ people not stealing in Qatar. You get your hands chopped off if you do. I doubt anyone would want to trade a hand for z10.

Toronto never ceases to amaze me.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 02:53 PM
    No, you only get your hand cut off if you're CAUGHT. In Toronto, people who get CAUGHT also suffer unpleasant penalties, like having a criminal record and not being able to travel or work in certain fields... the difference is that if it turns out they were wrongly convicted, their record can be expunged... how does that hand-reattaching-for-the-wrongly-convicted work in Qatar? I hope it works well... or I guess injustice is just shrugged off with an "oops". I for one hope YOU aren't a person who gets caught on camera leaving a shop 2 minutes before a device is noticed missing. I'll take Canadian justice over that any day.

For some, justice means it's OK to punish the innocent so long as most of the guilty are punished... for me, punishing the innocent is inexcusable, and I'd rather see some guilty go free rather than have the innocent punished.
    02-21-13 03:05 PM
    No, you only get your hand cut off if you're CAUGHT. In Toronto, people who get CAUGHT also suffer unpleasant penalties, like having a criminal record and not being able to travel or work in certain fields... the difference is that if it turns out they were wrongly convicted, their record can be expunged... how does that hand-reattaching-for-the-wrongly-convicted work in Qatar? I hope it works well... or I guess injustice is just shrugged off with an "oops". I for one hope YOU aren't a person who gets caught on camera leaving a shop 2 minutes before a device is noticed missing. I'll take Canadian justice over that any day.

For some, justice means it's OK to punish the innocent so long as most of the guilty are punished... for me, punishing the innocent is inexcusable, and I'd rather see some guilty go free rather than have the innocent punished.
    Woah, lighten up! I'm sure they meant 'lol' as a joke! This isn't a political/human rights forum!

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 04:04 PM
    yeah i have heard this happening before with the demo phones. You can lock them down hard and people still find a way to steal stuff
    lol.. that's what i was thinking. people are so dumb.

but they will probably try and sell them and some poor soul is gonna get hustled if they don't know better.
    02-21-13 04:31 PM
    What is your issue? Seriously why are you harrasing me about this?

This is a discussion forum. I am adding to the discussion. Why can't add my personal input to the discussion?

Why is your comment about expecting no less from the citizens of Toronto more relevant to the discussion than me discussing my firsthand knowledge on the subject? And who cares if it is or isn't? I was simply adding to the discussion same as everyone else here, why am I not allowed to do that?

We are talking about demo phones being stolen. I was talking about demo phones being stolen.

Please stop trying to censor people here we can all add to the discussion in any way we see fit as long as we are not attacking other members (...kind of like you are doing).

And to answer the question you asked me and then told me not to answer (then why did you ask it?) Yes both in Toronto and Vancouver.
    that was a rhetorical device. and my issue and why i even posted a reply to you in the first place were clearly conveyed in my last 2 messages, i won't waste yet another keystroke on that. good day to you sir.
    02-21-13 04:39 PM
    I would say the same in New York, Montreal, Winnipeg & a few other cities. I have gone to new york last year & went to a few cellphone stores. Some of their devices were stolen. I do agree that some people in Toronto do it but its the ones that give a bad name / rep on the ones that live here & do not do that lol
    LOL. Here, I could visualize a person stealing the unit would probably become lucky and only get a big toe shot off by a grandmother(packin') and end up going nowhere- fast. Then get beat down and nobody saw nothing.
    02-21-13 05:43 PM
    I want the Z10 bad, to the point of nail biteing, but won't go that far.
    I'm with you. Definitely not worth it.
    02-21-13 06:11 PM
77 1234