I find peek is a good way to disable the led flashing while in the middle of a game.
    02-24-13 03:43 PM
    Can we not bring rooted androids into discussion please.

Posted via CB10
    Because...? It's an option, thus I don't see why not taking it into account.

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2
    02-24-13 03:55 PM
    I love the peek, Its perfect for my trip in to work. reading my RSS or writing a blog the light flashes have a sneeky look to see if its worth reading then back to the task at hand.

All one handed
    pb1379 likes this.
    02-24-13 03:56 PM
    Because...? It's an option, thus I don't see why not taking it into account.

you should probably create your own thread then. rooting android is definitely getting off topic.
    02-24-13 04:10 PM
    Wow, arguing over an obvious plus for bb10. Nice.
    Peek Tip: instead of trying to peek by swiping up and then to the right - just swipe from bottom left diagonally up to right. Slow to peek.

Posted via CB10
    I think a more accurate description would be a "semi arc" not diagonal.
    ddlax22 likes this.
    02-24-13 04:14 PM
    I think a more accurate description would be a "semi arc" not diagonal.
    Actually he's right, I've been trying it and it works as long as you don't start from the corner, pretty cool.

Posted via CB10
    twstd.reality likes this.
    02-24-13 04:21 PM
    I for one, enjoy my BlackBerry Z10.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 04:22 PM
    Let's patent it " Banana Swipe" (don't want Samsung to come and steal it)

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 05:45 PM
    I feel like people really misunderstand the peek. The idea *isnt* that it's faster than pulling down the notification shade in Android/iOS, but that the notifications take ZERO screen real estate. Every square inch of the screen is devoted to your app while still having notifications as easily accessible as if they were always visible. The real powerful part is the hub. Not having to open 5 different apps to use 5 different Messaging platforms is amazing!

Anyways, for the peek thing, I had a Nexus 4 before I got the Z10. That thing constantly used maybe 10% of screen real estate just for the buttons and notifications. It was really annoying. That's where BlackBerry really did something special. Apps take the entire screen.
    First of all, the notification bar alone only takes up less up 3.5% of the screen space. (I'm using my non-rooted stock GS3, my daily driver, for reference).
    Secondly, the bar isn't always there. Apps like games, video players, video chat programs, Netflix, etc which benefit from an immersive experience use the entire screen. The bar is hidden, although it is still retrievable with a swipe.

Taking up ZERO real estate comes with its own drawbacks though. You have to use that awkward gesture just to find out what that blinking light is telling you. (Then extra actions to dismiss the previous notification to see the new notification that you're interested in). In Android, you could glean enough information from the auditory and visual cues that you can decide to postpone acting on the notification.

There's also an advantage to always being able to see the time, the battery level, the connectivity status, signal bars, etc. On BB10 these would require an additional swipe or swipes.

All of this adds up. How many times do you peek during the day? If I had no choice but to peek at all of my notifications because I don't know if it was important or not, I'd probably end up with some RSI problem on my thumb.

On the one hand, you get 3.5% more screen space all the time and a more asthetic look. The drawback is constant peeking and reduced efficiency. You might argue that it's a matter of preference. But it really isn't. It is factually demonstrable, if one were to do a time an motion study, that the current BB10 solution is less efficient.
    02-24-13 06:07 PM
    Peek is a nice feature. Can we just leave it at that?
    02-24-13 06:23 PM
    First of all, the notification bar alone only takes up less up 3.5% of the screen space. (I'm using my non-rooted stock GS3, my daily driver, for reference).
    Secondly, the bar isn't always there. Apps like games, video players, video chat programs, Netflix, etc which benefit from an immersive experience use the entire screen. The bar is hidden, although it is still retrievable with a swipe.

Taking up ZERO real estate comes with its own drawbacks though. You have to use that awkward gesture just to find out what that blinking light is telling you. (Then extra actions to dismiss the previous notification to see the new notification that you're interested in). In Android, you could glean enough information from the auditory and visual cues that you can decide to postpone acting on the notification.

There's also an advantage to always being able to see the time, the battery level, the connectivity status, signal bars, etc. On BB10 these would require an additional swipe or swipes.

All of this adds up. How many times do you peek during the day? If I had no choice but to peek at all of my notifications because I don't know if it was important or not, I'd probably end up with some RSI problem on my thumb.

On the one hand, you get 3.5% more screen space all the time and a more asthetic look. The drawback is constant peeking and reduced efficiency. You might argue that it's a matter of preference. But it really isn't. It is factually demonstrable, if one were to do a time an motion study, that the current BB10 solution is less efficient.
    ok prove it. do your time study and post a video for us all to see your magnificently efficient droid in action.

edit: oh and make sure you get a third party witness too so we can verify. or maybe even just a report with data, analysis, and final conlusions as well.
    agp101 and Bobcat665 like this.
    02-24-13 06:50 PM

Sounds like a pretty inconsistent experience. Peek us one simple gesture that doesn't ntrerupt what you're doing plus in busy times the hub can become your home screen, no need to peek.

Posted via CB10
    ddlax22 likes this.
    02-25-13 01:24 AM
    You wanna bet? The notification bar goes away, but the action bar at the bottom for home, back, and recent apps is ALWAYS there with just ONE exception; playing videos. Even playing games and flipping through pictures, you have a "dim" menu bar, but it takes up the exact same screen real estate. If I hadn't sold my Nexus 4, I'd show you now. The only reason you don't have that bar is because the S3 has physical buttons under the screen, which is old school (lol @ Samsung keeping the menu button, and people still buy their ****).

Taking up ZERO real estate comes with its own drawbacks though. You have to use that awkward gesture just to find out what that blinking light is telling you. (Then extra actions to dismiss the previous notification to see the new notification that you're interested in).
    The gesture is not awkward at all. Actually, I find you awkward for thinking a simple swipe up is awkward. As for dismissing it, it's the exact same, you go into the hub or the drop down. Same thing.

In Android, you could glean enough information from the auditory and visual cues that you can decide to postpone acting on the notification.
    Do you really want to bring Android's notifications into this? LOL...till the day I sold my Nexus 4, there was not a single main notifications area. Some apps have the option to vibrate when silent, while by far the MAJORITY of others don't. Therefore, you have to either always have them vibrate, even when sound is on, or never vibrate at all. LED? Oh ya, it's up to the developer to even include the option. The OS has no way of controlling the LED when a sound is made. Forget colors! Most apps don't even use it!

Advantage to seeing the time, etc.? I take it you've never used a Z10. The action to see time, battery, connectivity literally takes the same amount of effort as looking up. You swipe up maybe 1/4 inch from the bottom bezel, everything shows up, and your app doesn't pause or anything, just move your finger back down to go back to exactly where you were. You never leave the app, you never have to click an active frame or any of that stuff to see battery, time, connectivity, etc.

That is quite possibly one of the dumbest questions I've ever read. It's like asking. "how many times do you have to look at the clock to see the time?" It takes the same effort. I can already tell by these ignorant remarks that you've never used a Z10. You don't have to go into the hub to see whether the notification is important or not. You simply swipe up slightly, just like you would to see the time. That alone tells you what kind of notification (twitter, facebook, email, etc.) and that alone is enough 99% of the time to tell whether or not it is important. You can continue the swipe to see the hub, and if not important, retract the swipe, and you go back to your app exactly where you were (it never paused through all this).

It IS NOT 3.5% more screen real estate. That shows just how ignorant you are. The S3 has physical buttons, and that's why it doesn't have a bar. Future smartphones won't have buttons. Blackberry's implementation is very clever. My Nexus 4 didn't have buttons either, but the implementation was VERY poor. Always having on screen buttons at the bottom. What was the point of removing the buttons? BB did the same without having a constant button bar at the bottom.

Less efficient for people who ignorantly make stupid claims without using it, of course. I came from a Nexus 4, and I've found the efficiency to be about on par. Where the BB10 gets a HUGE bonus is for using 100% screen real estate for each app, and more importantly the hub. On your S3, try replying to a facebook message, then a twitter message, then a text, then an email, then a google talk message. I'd like to see how much more efficient that is on Android BB10 does all that from one place. The hub.
    02-25-13 01:41 AM
    The beauty with peek is you only need to swipe up about half an inch from the bottom then over slightly to the right to reveal the Hub. The way most people hold their phones, their thumb is going to be naturally closer to the bottom and not require a repositioning of the device in hand to reach the top like swipe down notification systems.
    This is one of the main reasons why the Peek and Hub are far superior to the Android notification pane. It's more ergonomic to use with one hand, especially when Androids have much larger screens. I don't have to shift my hand and put my thumb in an awkward position to check for notifications. It's simply a better design and is actually fun to check messages this way, as opposed to being an annoyance.
    02-25-13 01:43 AM
    Here's a thought, the Z10 is the only smartphone that let's you unlock the screen and enter your hub (inbox) without even looking at the screen. You can do this while you bring the phone up to your eyes.

Posted via CB10
    ddlax22 likes this.
    02-25-13 01:51 AM
    I agree. Unlocking the phone by swiping up without pressing a single button is an amazing feature, and I dont think a single other phone has it. Having to press a button before unlocking the screen is so inefficient. I didn't mind it before I got the Z10, but now, when I'm using a friend's iphone/Android, it's really annoying.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    02-25-13 02:00 AM
    You wanna bet? The notification bar goes away, but the action bar at the bottom for home, back, and recent apps is ALWAYS there with just ONE exception; playing videos. Even playing games and flipping through pictures, you have a "dim" menu bar, but it takes up the exact same screen real estate. If I hadn't sold my Nexus 4, I'd show you now. The only reason you don't have that bar is because the S3 has physical buttons under the screen, which is old school (lol @ Samsung keeping the menu button, and people still buy their ****).

The gesture is not awkward at all. Actually, I find you awkward for thinking a simple swipe up is awkward. As for dismissing it, it's the exact same, you go into the hub or the drop down. Same thing.

Do you really want to bring Android's notifications into this? LOL...till the day I sold my Nexus 4, there was not a single main notifications area. Some apps have the option to vibrate when silent, while by far the MAJORITY of others don't. Therefore, you have to either always have them vibrate, even when sound is on, or never vibrate at all. LED? Oh ya, it's up to the developer to even include the option. The OS has no way of controlling the LED when a sound is made. Forget colors! Most apps don't even use it!

Advantage to seeing the time, etc.? I take it you've never used a Z10. The action to see time, battery, connectivity literally takes the same amount of effort as looking up. You swipe up maybe 1/4 inch from the bottom bezel, everything shows up, and your app doesn't pause or anything, just move your finger back down to go back to exactly where you were. You never leave the app, you never have to click an active frame or any of that stuff to see battery, time, connectivity, etc.

That is quite possibly one of the dumbest questions I've ever read. It's like asking. "how many times do you have to look at the clock to see the time?" It takes the same effort. I can already tell by these ignorant remarks that you've never used a Z10. You don't have to go into the hub to see whether the notification is important or not. You simply swipe up slightly, just like you would to see the time. That alone tells you what kind of notification (twitter, facebook, email, etc.) and that alone is enough 99% of the time to tell whether or not it is important. You can continue the swipe to see the hub, and if not important, retract the swipe, and you go back to your app exactly where you were (it never paused through all this).

It IS NOT 3.5% more screen real estate. That shows just how ignorant you are. The S3 has physical buttons, and that's why it doesn't have a bar. Future smartphones won't have buttons. Blackberry's implementation is very clever. My Nexus 4 didn't have buttons either, but the implementation was VERY poor. Always having on screen buttons at the bottom. What was the point of removing the buttons? BB did the same without having a constant button bar at the bottom.

Less efficient for people who ignorantly make stupid claims without using it, of course. I came from a Nexus 4, and I've found the efficiency to be about on par. Where the BB10 gets a HUGE bonus is for using 100% screen real estate for each app, and more importantly the hub. On your S3, try replying to a facebook message, then a twitter message, then a text, then an email, then a google talk message. I'd like to see how much more efficient that is on Android BB10 does all that from one place. The hub.
    Progressive slow clap for you sir. The ending really touched the heart as a proud Z10 owner.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 02:30 AM
    Progressive slow clap for you sir. The ending really touched the heart as a proud Z10 owner.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you

It's frustrating how ignorant people who have never used the OS have apparently become the go to source for how to use it ahaha
    02-25-13 02:49 AM
    Dude in the status bar, you dont get to see the mesage it self, and you have to wait till the letters scroll to see some aditional info, with peek you can see the subjetc, who is it from aaaand even part of the messege, without even fully entering the hub
    02-25-13 05:05 AM
    why is it an awkward gesture ? so you say that is harder to swipe from lower corner left to upper corner right (one handed with your thumb) then having to hold your phone with ''one hand'' and while you swipe down (with the other hand) from top ? oh! and not to mention that if you want to peek at the content of the current MSG, it adds another gesture that involves not only 2 hands, but 2 fingers also. so it's not less efficient bud.

Also even more efficient when you're on something important: is it less hard to ignore scrolling sentences than a simple led ? which bye the way, you can turn just by doing a little swipe left to right ?

You're just too use to your android phone, and nothing is going to change your mind, just try BB10 for a month, i'll see you swiping on your android phone screen with no success when you get back, you'll miss the gestures and hub !!
    02-25-13 06:03 AM
    Why do certain people always think they know better what's good for others? Why can't certain people accept or tolerate that others might have different tastes and preferences? Why do certain people think their way to do something is completely superior to any other approach?

mikeo007 likes this.
    02-25-13 06:30 AM
    Do messages appear on the lock screen of the Z10 or do you have to actually interact with the device to see a message preview? My device shows messages without any interaction at all, so when its sitting idle I can just glance at it to see if it's something that requires attention. No physical interaction necessary.
    02-25-13 07:12 AM
    Do messages appear on the lock screen of the Z10 or do you have to actually interact with the device to see a message preview? My device shows messages without any interaction at all, so when its sitting idle I can just glance at it to see if it's something that requires attention. No physical interaction necessary.

The point was to quickly peek to see your just arrived message while you're doing something else and with minimal disruption of that you were doing: while making a call, watching a video, using maps etc. Not while you sit and look at the phone with the screen locked. (I'm not sure BlackBerry security will ever allow that actually)

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 07:24 AM
    (I'm not sure BlackBerry security will ever allow that actually) Posted via CB10
    Isn't that exactly what the notifications bar in OS6/7 allowed for? A visual alert of what kind of message just arrived and the option to see a preview? Granted, not a efficient as the Android/iOS preview that you can enable (if you chose). I'd personally rather see at a glance what arrived and be able to chose whether to address it (with a single tap) than be forced to interact with gestures just to see what the alert was for. Then swipe around to read it and hope that I actually get taken to that particular message and not just back to the previously used message.
    02-25-13 07:36 AM
    Isn't that exactly what the notifications bar in OS6/7 allowed for? A visual alert of what kind of message just arrived and the option to see a preview? Granted, not a efficient as the Android/iOS preview that you can enable (if you chose). I'd personally rather see at a glance what arrived and be able to chose whether to address it (with a single tap) than be forced to interact with gestures just to see what the alert was for. Then swipe around to read it and hope that I actually get taken to that particular message and not just back to the previously used message.
    I think you're getting things confused.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 07:45 AM
141 1234 ...