Hi Everyone ! I'm a diehard BlackBerry fan but have recently been feeling my device's battery heavily heating my thighs through my pant pockets (I wear jeans). I took this screen snapshot to illustrate, just how high the degrees that it's sometimes goes to. Anyone else have this issue before ? (Or perhaps, heard of ?) What exactly does it mean ? Norma stuff ? Or a sign of NSA Surveillance a-la Edward Snowden, etc ? I read once a few years back through a few computer security blogs that an overheated battery is a sign of surveillance. Not that I have anything to hide, but still... It struck me as relevant; given these signs of the times !!! Thanks !!!
    Attached Thumbnails Overheated Battery on Z10 / WTF ?-battery-lover-.jpg  
    07-12-13 06:22 PM
    07-12-13 06:28 PM
    Woah!! Haha, nah that's fine. I get mine up to 41-42C when gaming, 105-107 F. Is this happening when not in use? If so than it is a concern. Battery will be fine up to 180F.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    07-12-13 06:28 PM
    Usually between 80-90 F with normal use.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    07-12-13 06:31 PM
    Yes. It's happening when it's not in use. It'll just be burning my thighs through my jean pockets. It doesn't happen always, but does occasionally happen at random times (twice, or three times a week). I was curious to know if anyone else had a similar experience
    07-15-13 01:01 PM
    Yes. It's happening when it's not in use. It'll just be burning my thighs through my jean pockets. It doesn't happen always, but does occasionally happen at random times (twice, or three times a week). I was curious to know if anyone else had a similar experience
    It's just a safety reminder of what putting your phone in your pant pocket is doing to your future kids... lol

I use a holster...

Actually, has anyone here that is experiencing this overheat-on-standby issue tried disabling the 'allow gestures when locked' feature? Wonder if that's causing an issue, esp if you put it in pant pockets.

Posted via CB10
    neo1988 likes this.
    07-15-13 01:45 PM
    That's not good. You should try a different battery, and then possibly swap out your Z. It shouldn't be getting that hot. Do you have sideloaded android apps? Because some run in the background and are nearly impossible to kill.
    07-15-13 01:48 PM
    No. I don't ever sideload. It just doesn't appeal to me. I personally prefer native apps. Maybe that makes me a digital snob. Whatever. But here in the U.S., I think with the whole Government surveillance thing; that it just might actually have something to do with that. (Not that I have a reason to be under surveillance). Just a random thought... But it's what I read online earlier this year. That if your cellphone's battery is heavily overheating, that it's a clear sign that your phone's being tapped. What are you thoughts ?
    07-15-13 03:36 PM
    Jeez, I don't know about that. I guess anythings possible though. If I were you, I would try a different battery and if that doesn't work, swap out the device under warranty
    07-15-13 03:48 PM
    Jeez, I don't know about that. I guess anythings possible though. If I were you, I would try a different battery and if that doesn't work, swap out the device under warranty
    I agree with the 'Rado guy.
    07-15-13 04:41 PM
    Mine hit 45c (113f) while on idle. Had the problem for months. Burned through the battery in 4-6 hours. I did a security wipe and since then, 1 week and counting, the battery lasts 24-36 hours and hasn't gotten above 35c

It was not a battery problem. There was something processing in the background that the phone couldn't resolve. There are quite a few threads on this issues with various speculations on why. Perhaps there is a different way to resolve it but my phone is fantastic now.

Update: I jinxed myself. Battery drain and high temperature has started again.
    Perhaps another security wipe tonight.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MGDania; 07-15-13 at 10:39 PM.
    07-15-13 05:08 PM
    My BlackBerry Z10 was a hot potato tonight when I picked it up to disconnect the wall charger. I ha to remove the Poetic case to allow the smartphone to cool more quickly.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    07-15-13 06:53 PM
    Mine hit 45c (113f) while on idle. Had the problem for months. Burned through the battery in 4-6 hours. I did a security wipe and since then, 1 week and counting, the battery lasts 24-36 hours and hasn't gotten above 35c

It was not a battery problem. There was something processing in the background that the phone couldn't resolve. There are quite a few threads on this issues with various speculations on why. Perhaps there is a different way to resolve it but my phone is fantastic now.

Posted via CB10
    Security wipe then full restore? I did one after i installed the latest leak. Still on my get 6-8 hours battery life.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 10:20 PM
    Security wipe then full restore? I did one after i installed the latest leak. Still on my get 6-8 hours battery life.

Posted via CB10
    I did just a security wipe others have done wipe and reload. Unfortunately. Mine just start draining again when I turned on bluetooth. Others have experienced bliss but it seems to be temporary. Just have figure out what it is. Looks like another wipe is in store for me.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 10:44 PM
    i am a huge blackberry fan. however two weeks ago my Z10 got so hot it caused the Zagg screen protector to bubble up from the heat and i was in an air conditioned car . i went to the local T-Mobile store and they gave me a new Z10 on the spot. the folks in the store had never seen a phone with a burnt screen. when we took the screen saver off, it was full of soot. now a week and a half with a new Z10 and guess what happened today?? yup the phone got so hot it burnt another screen protector.

I am very disappointed with blackberry right now. i thought they had proven themselves as a strong leader in the industry with the Z10. i was very pleased with the upgrade to the software, it made a big difference. but, i need a phone that i can rely on. right now. blackberry Z10 is not that phone. i will get rid of it as soon as possible.

blackberry, i hope you read these reviews. you need to read them and address them.
    08-28-13 06:57 PM