I've read some concerning things about font sizes, especially in an email body and on web pages. I'm 45 and this is a BIG deal to me. Can anybody in my age bracket comment on using and SEEING things on the Z10?
    ubizmo and Techno-Emigre like this.
    03-12-13 10:35 AM
    For someone with vision troubles I find the z10 more than adequate.

- the display font can be changed for things like bbm etc. To a point where it's only a few words per line.

- pinch and zoom always does the trick for me if needed where emails become difficult to read.

- there is also a reader mode for websites. Basically strips all the ads etc and creates a nice clean mode to read the website in. With this option on the font is easily adjusted with a single click of an icon.

Hopefully you find it suitable. This was an initial concern for me but it's apparent that some good thought has gone into designing a device for those of us who don't have 20/20 vision.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    Techno-Emigre likes this.
    03-12-13 10:50 AM
    Sorry, I'm a bit younger but I can say that there is an option of changing the font size. (settings, display, font size)

Looks like I'm too slow...maybe I'm not so much younger...
    Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 10:51 AM
    Changing the font size changes it for menus, and not for the underlying HTML e-mails.
    The default font is much too small for me. It is the one and only showstopper for me and I keep trying to find workarounds. But there are none.

Pinch and zoom is not a great option as then you have to scroll left / right to read an e-mail. That's a waste of time.
    And, most critical of all, my other smartphones all offer the capability of increasing the font size of the e-mail message.
    d16rr702 likes this.
    03-12-13 10:55 AM
    have you tried the reader option? I believe that takes into account system font settings. you simply press the three circles button on the side of the wed browser and choose reader.

Let us know how you find it.
    03-12-13 11:04 AM
    I am 62 and don't really have any issues. I use reading glasses but can easily get by without them. For the Web there is Reader mode which takes out all the graphics and makes text large.

Posted via CB10
    jesse_h likes this.
    03-12-13 11:05 AM
    Changing the font size changes it for menus, and not for the underlying HTML e-mails.
    The default font is much too small for me. It is the one and only showstopper for me and I keep trying to find workarounds. But there are none.

Pinch and zoom is not a great option as then you have to scroll left / right to read an e-mail. That's a waste of time.
    And, most critical of all, my other smartphones all offer the capability of increasing the font size of the e-mail message.
    This is a concern, but it's no better on my Samsung Blaze, running ICS. There's no option to set the default font size in emails. I can pinch and zoom, but of course I have to scroll to read, just as you described it above.

Maybe someone could show a screenshot of an email in the BB10 email app, not just the header?
    03-12-13 11:06 AM
    There is also a magnify mode which allows for pinch and zoom for any screen on the device. Yes the scrolling part isn't ideal but it's something I guess for the hard to read menus, icons, txt etc. Here's a screen grab. I'll try and post an email screen grab too.
    Old eyes-img_00000484.png

ubizmo likes this.
    03-12-13 11:16 AM
    In the screenshot above, the "Display settings" applies to...what? Menu items and that sort of thing, but not browser or email fonts?
    03-12-13 11:19 AM
    This is a concern, but it's no better on my Samsung Blaze, running ICS. There's no option to set the default font size in emails. I can pinch and zoom, but of course I have to scroll to read, just as you described it above.

Maybe someone could show a screenshot of an email in the BB10 email app, not just the header?
    No issue with my two Windows 8 devices, which is why I am hanging on to them.
    And to those who don't feel the HTML e-mail fonts are too small, I wish I could agree. But they are WAY too small for me.
    03-12-13 11:21 AM
    In the screenshot above, the "Display settings" applies to...what? Menu items and that sort of thing, but not browser or email fonts?
    Correct.
    03-12-13 11:24 AM
    I've read some concerning things about font sizes, especially in an email body and on web pages. I'm 45 and this is a BIG deal to me. Can anybody in my age bracket comment on using and SEEING things on the Z10?
    I find it comfortable. If I am really tired or the font for whatever I am reading is too small, I find a pair of $15 reading glasses to be ideal. That might do the trick for you. But overall, reading with the default font sizes is comfortable enough.
    03-12-13 11:24 AM
    Wow! Huge issue. I sure hope BlackBerry has this item pretty high on the "to do" list. In the day, smart phone consumers were mostly clustered in the <40 group, but I don't think that is true any longer.
    03-12-13 11:25 AM
    Correct. Display settings brings up an option to change the font size. But modifying the font size seems to only effect email headers and menus etc. Not browser or email fonts as one would expect.

Here is a snapshot of an email for our footy team. Anyone wanna join? Lol

No magnification or pinch and zoom here. This is exactly how the email was received with everything set to factory default settings.

Old eyes-img_00000485.png

03-12-13 11:26 AM
    Old eyes-wp8-htc8x.jpgOld eyes-zee10.jpg
    I find it comfortable. If I am really tired or the font for whatever I am reading is too small, I find a pair of $15 reading glasses to be ideal. That might do the trick for you. But overall, reading with the default font sizes is comfortable enough.
    I have reading glasses. On my other devices I can set the font to whatever size I want, and pick up my smartphone and read e-mail without reaching for my reading glasses. This is a showstopper for me.

On my HTC8x I can read everything without my reading glasses.
    On the Z10 I can't.

Let's remember that this is what the OP was asking about. Not criticizing and not looking for "it works for me". For some people, clearly it doesn't.
    03-12-13 11:29 AM
    No issue with my two Windows 8 devices, which is why I am hanging on to them.
    And to those who don't feel the HTML e-mail fonts are too small, I wish I could agree. But they are WAY too small for me.
    Ironically, one of the reasons why I gave up on WP(7.5) was exactly this, only in the browser, not the email. As you say, the email font was adjustable, but the browser had neither Reader Mode nor Text Reflow. I need one or the other to have a decent reading experience on text-heavy sites such as blogs.

But I'd have to see what an email actually looks like on the Z10 to judge if it's better or worse than on my Blaze. I've been getting by, even though I'd prefer it larger.
    03-12-13 11:31 AM
    Well, thanks for all the responses. It seems you guys are confirming what I read. Blackberry REALLY needs to hire some people to work on this who aren't in their 20's! It's a shame; I've been waiting for this thing a long time. The "simplified" sound profiles (arggh!) were disappointing enough; this might be a dealbreaker that makes me skip this one and go Android to match my tablet, or Windows phone (which my daughter has and is VERY easy to read.) I'll have to go to AT&T in a couple weeks and play around.
    03-12-13 11:33 AM
    Yeah, they fixed a lot of font issues in WP8 which is why I jumped on it. I had the same problems with WP7/7.5.
    And yes, it is a VERY personal choice...
    03-12-13 11:34 AM
    My "thanks" button has disappeared, but thanks to both of you. It looks about the same as what I have on my phone now; not ideal but acceptable. I'm 59 and I wear strong bifocal/"progressive" glasses.

Ironically, the options on the smaller screen of the 9900 made it a breeze to read emails without eyestrain.
    03-12-13 11:35 AM
    As far as an email, the body of the message will change. The only emails I can't get to change are the emails that state "click here to download external images" which I guess are the HTML messages that appear to be similar to screen caps and those I wouldn't expect to be editable. Any other email, will change the size of the font.
    03-12-13 11:54 AM
    I have old eyes 63 years old, I also have only one eye that actually works, so I have normal glasses and reading glasses, both pairs slightly magnify but mainly they bring things into focus at distances they are made fo. I have a cell phone 8530, Playbook and laptop and read emails on all these devices. If you need reading glasses then you need them for every type of reading medium, they don't work by making text bigger they work by bringing it into focus. Old eyes start to lose focus range, just like old ears lose frequency range. So really phone brand is irrelevent, screen resolution is whats important, so Z10 should be up there with the best.
    pmccartney likes this.
    03-12-13 01:33 PM
    Like I said earlier, I am 62 and use reading glasses for long reads like books but I have no trouble reading emails or text messages on the Z10. Break down, admit it, you may need glasses.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 03:03 PM
    Thanks for the helpful hint. I have them. I just want BlackBerry to do what EVERY OTHER VENDOR has done and make the font adjustable.
    Perhaps they need to pay attention (and you can stop repeating that you can read it). We know.
    03-12-13 03:08 PM

This is my problem exactly. Changing the font size works for menus and some email but not all, pinch and zoom is just annoying when you have to scroll sideways.

why can't pinch and zoom auto justify?

They better come up with a fix for this fast or I'm going back to my 9900.

Also, I'm typing this on my laptop as I am going nutz trying to figure out how to be effective with the z10 keyboard.

Sorry to be negative but I'm a 10+ year BB guy and getting frustrated.
    03-13-13 07:34 PM
    Patience Grasshopper! Honorableson, you must learn to walk before you can run.
    03-13-13 08:51 PM
58 123