Kinda off topic but did you take that picture with a shoestring and some old bifocal lenses?
    Sorry for the delay in responding and thanks for all the replies. I'll answer this one first. I know, the pics were pretty fuzzy. But he had no digital camera available and so he improvised - he grabbed a mirror and used the Z10 to take pics of itself! I thought it was pretty ingenious.
    Nahh.. jean is right. Because it's touch-on-lens technology, the "digitizer" is contained within the glass. Which is probably why when the front glass shatters, the touchscreen is broken as well.
    Thanks to you and jean for that. I kind of suspected that this is the case. I'm not quite sure, though, if this is the digitizer + glass screen

BlackBerry Z10 Digitizer|Touch Screen

then what's this?

BlackBerry Z10 LCD Assembly

I guess the second link would be the digitizer + the actual LCD panel which underlies the glass screen. And since my friend's screen is still working, we can assume that the LCD screen is intact...unless a small part of it isn't working? Can these LCD screens fail in one section but still be working on another part of the panel? The question is - if a small part of the screen isn't working, is that because the fall damaged the underlying LCD or is it just that the glass is busted and the integrated digitizer isn't working in that spot.

Anyhow... I know that these questions need to be answered by a tech with the phone in hand.

We are hoping that the cheaper part is the one that will give us a fix. As I said, my buddy is using the phone. I will try to get exact details about what part of the screen is working and how the screen is working in general.

Thanks again
    02-15-13 07:32 PM
    Can't you contact blackberry or won't your provider ship it out for repair? I understand it isn't covered under warranty but they should still be able to offer repairs at some cost.
    Oh, I'm sure Blackberry would get it fixed... eventually. But that would mean shipping it to them, and I am assuming that it would be more expensive to do it that way than to take it to Pacific Mall.

I'm sure Telus would be happy to do it but that has to be the most expensive option of all.
    02-15-13 07:33 PM
    I'm assuming there is some sort of adhesive bonding the digitizer to the screen. IF you can separate them without damaging the LCD, great.. but then you also run the absolutely rage-inducing step of trying to get rid of all the dust on the LCD screen before you glue the two pieces together.

So one is the digitizer only where you have to glue it back to the LCD and the other one is done for you, aka "assembly."
    mset likes this.
    02-15-13 08:10 PM
    Insurance is always a better deal for the person selling it.. sure in this case the OP's friend would have came out ahead.. but 90% of the time you pay and never collect.. put the money you would have spent on insurance in the bank IN CASE you need it.. and you'll have it for your next upgrade if you dont!
    I always say that if you can't afford to fix it then insurance might be a good thing. I bought it for my big screen years ago and didn't end up using it but I'm glad I bought it. I left a good job not long after and if it did die I wouldn't have been able to afford to pay for it. Then there was a video card I was buying and they wanted almost as much as the card cost to insure it. I said no. For a couple of bucks more I could buy whatever one I wanted when it broke (it didn't).

Insurance isn't bad for some people, in some cases, for the right amount of money.

James
    02-15-13 08:20 PM
    I'm assuming there is some sort of adhesive bonding the digitizer to the screen. IF you can separate them without damaging the LCD, great.. but then you also run the absolutely rage-inducing step of trying to get rid of all the dust on the LCD screen before you glue the two pieces together.

So one is the digitizer only where you have to glue it back to the LCD and the other one is done for you, aka "assembly."
    Okay understood, thanks. Yeah, that whole DIY procedure is probably not going to happen with us personally. It remains to be seen whether the lone cell place in his small town will even take that job on or whether they'll just ask him to get the assembly.

Thanks again.
    02-15-13 08:22 PM
    A sad, sad sight. This Z10 belongs to my close buddy who lives ins a pretty small town in northern Alberta (not too many indie phone shops in town). I'm trying to see if I can help him out.

His Z10 hit a ceramic tile floor from about 3 feet (landed flat, face first) and you can (sort of) see the result. I'm trying for better pics. He says that the phone still works but gestures get sketchy in the area of the break. My question is - can someone suggest a shop in the GTA where I can take this to get it looked at? Reason I ask is that the phone is so new, I doubt many people have much experience with this yet.

Does anyone know whether the glass screen piece can be replaced on these if he's lucky enough not to have involved the 'sensor surface' (or whatever it's called) below the glass?

Should he avoid using it completely until it can be looked at?

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/422/stevebustedz10.jpg
    Where abouts in Alberta ? I'd try these guys. They fixed my torch. A little pricey but cheaper than a new http://smartphonemedic.ca/contact-us/
    02-15-13 08:36 PM
    Where abouts in Alberta ? I'd try these guys. They fixed my torch. A little pricey but cheaper than a new Mobile Phone Repair Store Grande Prairie, Alberta.
    Thanks a lot, will pass that on
    02-15-13 08:57 PM
    Not sure about viability of repair, but in terms of electronic components its got many of the components of an s3, essentially a copy one tech breakdown was saying. So an experienced tech guy could probably get , many of those parts... Probably not worth it though
    02-16-13 04:35 AM
    02-16-13 04:37 AM
    Not sure if you found the answer you're looking for, the thread was quite long, didn't read all the replies. Anyways, i picked up my z10 20 days ago and guess what...dropped it at a bar, onto the floor and that was the end of the digitizer/screen. It's cracked so bad that the touch doesn't even work anymore. There's a few stores that can fix it in the GTA, but the cost is between $225-275. Most wont have the parts in till mid march, but I know for sure one store does. This one - The Repair Store - 2370 Young Street, just north of Eglington, in the Gamerama store. call them 416-487-5501.

There's two other repair shops in Parkway mall, Victoria Park and Elesemere that can do it too, but they won't have parts in for another week. One is by TD Bank and the other is a small shop towards the middle of the mall. they're a bit cheaper than the Toronto Repair Store, but the Toronto Repair store has the parts now, so if you're in a hurry, check those guys out, they were quoting $269 to replace it and could probably do it for cash.

Let me know how it goes, i'm waiting for everyone to get the parts, cause that will take the cost of repairing it down, so my z10 is still broken and wont get fixed for another few weeks.
    mset likes this.
    03-05-13 03:27 PM
    Not sure if you found the answer you're looking for, the thread was quite long, didn't read all the replies. Anyways, i picked up my z10 20 days ago and guess what...dropped it at a bar, onto the floor and that was the end of the digitizer/screen. It's cracked so bad that the touch doesn't even work anymore. There's a few stores that can fix it in the GTA, but the cost is between $225-275. Most wont have the parts in till mid march, but I know for sure one store does. This one - The Repair Store - 2370 Young Street, just north of Eglington, in the Gamerama store. call them 416-487-5501.

There's two other repair shops in Parkway mall, Victoria Park and Elesemere that can do it too, but they won't have parts in for another week. One is by TD Bank and the other is a small shop towards the middle of the mall. they're a bit cheaper than the Toronto Repair Store, but the Toronto Repair store has the parts now, so if you're in a hurry, check those guys out, they were quoting $269 to replace it and could probably do it for cash.

Let me know how it goes, i'm waiting for everyone to get the parts, cause that will take the cost of repairing it down, so my z10 is still broken and wont get fixed for another few weeks.
    That's about the only useful thing Ive heard Parkway Mall mentioned in for 30 years.. Is there still food in the food court?
    03-05-13 03:47 PM
    I had the display changed on my 9900 at Toronto Repair. Good service from them. Price seems high but of course the Z10 is so new it's not surprising.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-13 05:04 PM
    A sad, sad sight. This Z10 belongs to my close buddy who lives ins a pretty small town in northern Alberta (not too many indie phone shops in town). I'm trying to see if I can help him out.

His Z10 hit a ceramic tile floor from about 3 feet (landed flat, face first) and you can (sort of) see the result. I'm trying for better pics. He says that the phone still works but gestures get sketchy in the area of the break. My question is - can someone suggest a shop in the GTA where I can take this to get it looked at? Reason I ask is that the phone is so new, I doubt many people have much experience with this yet.

Does anyone know whether the glass screen piece can be replaced on these if he's lucky enough not to have involved the 'sensor surface' (or whatever it's called) below the glass?

Should he avoid using it completely until it can be looked at?

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/422/stevebustedz10.jpg
    i would send it to blackberry for repairs. it must have some fixed price to fix the phone. just like with playbook. one fee any repair.
    03-05-13 06:06 PM
    Sorry for the delay in responding and thanks for all the replies. I'll answer this one first. I know, the pics were pretty fuzzy. But he had no digital camera available and so he improvised - he grabbed a mirror and used the Z10 to take pics of itself! I thought it was pretty ingenious.
    Thanks to you and jean for that. I kind of suspected that this is the case. I'm not quite sure, though, if this is the digitizer + glass screen

BlackBerry Z10 Digitizer|Touch Screen

then what's this?

BlackBerry Z10 LCD Assembly

I guess the second link would be the digitizer + the actual LCD panel which underlies the glass screen. And since my friend's screen is still working, we can assume that the LCD screen is intact...unless a small part of it isn't working? Can these LCD screens fail in one section but still be working on another part of the panel? The question is - if a small part of the screen isn't working, is that because the fall damaged the underlying LCD or is it just that the glass is busted and the integrated digitizer isn't working in that spot.

Anyhow... I know that these questions need to be answered by a tech with the phone in hand.

We are hoping that the cheaper part is the one that will give us a fix. As I said, my buddy is using the phone. I will try to get exact details about what part of the screen is working and how the screen is working in general.

Thanks again
    BB Z10 digitizer touch screen (including glass lens) is the part above the LCD screen, while the BB Z10 LCD assembly (including glass lens) includes the digitizer touch screen and the LCD screen. If your phone LCD is ok, you only have to replace the digitizer touch screen. Hope this can help you.
    03-06-13 03:00 AM
    You got owned man
    03-06-13 03:47 AM
    There's a few stores that can fix it in the GTA, but the cost is between $225-275. Most wont have the parts in till mid march, but I know for sure one store does. This one - The Repair Store - 2370 Young Street, just north of Eglington, in the Gamerama store. call them 416-487-5501.
    Thanks a lot for the reply. I had stopped monitoring this thread.

Yes, we are still unsure about whether the repair entails replacing the digitizer alone or the entire digitizer/LCD assembly. We watched a YouTube video and the replacement of the whole assembly seems really straightforward.

The quotes we got for that are right in the range you mentioned.

I called the store linked in this thread on page 1. The guy said he didn't have the parts and didn't know when he would have them. Bongo wireless said I was the first guy to call about the Z10 and that he was going to try to order parts.

I'll definitely call the shop you mentioned. Thanks again.
    03-08-13 11:17 AM
    i would send it to blackberry for repairs. it must have some fixed price to fix the phone. just like with playbook. one fee any repair.
    If there's a fixed price for any repair, that would be a surprise, but I'll check it out. I had assumed BBRY would be the most expensive place to get it done.
    03-08-13 11:19 AM
    Check cnn.cn

I have bought a screen for an older BlackBerry from them once and replaced it myself. They may offer tutorial on how to do it if they sell the screen for the z10

Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated to cnn.cn, just sharing my experience and offering help.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 11:35 AM
68 123