My first BlackBerry smartphone was the Z30. I chose it because BlackBerry 10 seemed like the only platform that would deliver "that" something missing from my mobile computing after Android and Windows Phone 8 failed to live up to my expectations.

I had followed the launch of the Z10 like the rest of the world: oblivious to BlackBerry 's true strengths and the greatness of their new OS. I recognised, respected and admired the Z10's unique design but could not get over one singular missing feature: FM Radio.

I was using an Android device at the time but "upgraded" to a WP8 device with FM radio and thought I could settle down but BlackBerry kept calling. I would spot a few people here and there with their Z10s and Q10s and wanted to try them out but never got the chance. When the Z30 was announced, I knew I would get it. It checked all the boxes on my specs sheet and had a bigger screen.

The clich� phrase "...what BlackBerry 10 should have launched with" came to mind and the Z10 was filed in my mind together with my other symbols associated with negatives in technology despite the fact that I'd never actually held one.

I loved my Z30 on my own terms and held a naive negative opinion of the Z10 that was continually reinforced by the complaints by numerous Crackberry members about battery life, instability, missing features and of course... my Z30 was bigger.

I sold my Z30 about a month ago and decided to try an old BlackBerry OS device with the Torch 9810 and as that experience came to a close, I began shopping around for my return to the Z30 or even the new Passport that had really impressed me when I tested it at the Telus store.

I had my cash and a seller ready to go when a deal on a Z10 appeared that was hard to pass up. I had to take a second look at the very first BB10 device. My FM radio need was not as pressing this time so I revisited the specs sheets, pros, cons and was satisfied I could have a competent BB10 experience on the Z30's older sibling.

I couldn't believe it.

I felt "that" feeling. I heard "that" silence. My mind felt at ease in "that" way. When I held the Z10 in my hand I saw "that" kind of beauty; the kind that is in the eyes of the beholder and that beholder is you and you are the only person in the world who could ever see that beauty for its true form.

I took "that" deep breath.

"Wow! Z10, your screen is bigger than I expected. Your sharp edges, your unique "forehead and chin", your strikingly comfortable weight all coming together to embody the BlackBerry 10 experience in a way so positive that I am brought to pray that any future all-screen devices in the BB10 pedigree simply put new organs into a near clone of your perfect form.

You are gorgeous, Z10. Even in this white version of you that has some traces of Apple cider you give me the power of BB10 in a near-perfect package.

I regret that I did not notice you before. Thank you for allowing me this second chance to get to know you. I look forward to our time ttogether."

If anyone else has made the same mistake I made of dismissing the Z10 for such shallow reasons as sub-phablet screen size and other cookie-cutter Android/Apple/Windows vs BlackBerry comparisons, please take a Z10 in your hand and you might actually experience "that" something your mobile computing has been missing.

Z10 is "that" kind of something.
    10-25-14 01:39 AM
    I miss my z10!
    10-25-14 01:48 AM
    I love my red Z10, best looking device I ever owned.

The size is just perfect

Z10 (red) OS10.2.2.1531 Q5 (red) OS10.3.0.1418
    10-25-14 02:02 AM
    Get a room broh

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 02:04 AM
    I still love my BlackBerry z10

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 02:13 AM
    I had a Z10 and later upgraded to a Z30.

I did it because of the upgraded internals, and better battery.

But to this day I prefer the looks of the Z10 and I think it's actually better designed.

Via passport
    Flatman likes this.
    10-25-14 02:37 AM
    I also miss the z10. I wish it just had that battery life.
    If it wasn't for the battery life I would not have changed to the z30, also the z10's had some really cheap back covers which would never close properly (and I had 3 different z10's)

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 03:08 AM
    I switched back from Z30 to my trusted Z10 some time ago. No regrets.

Posted via CB10 from Z10
    10-25-14 03:29 AM
    I'd love to see you court a lady! I'm sure it will be a lesson !

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    10-25-14 03:52 AM
    I had a chance to buy either a Z30 or Z10 and ultimately chose the Z10 for the higher higher PPI in a more compact screen. I feel like it was the right choice overall. its a much better size than the iPhone 5s I had been using before even though the screen isn't that much bigger overall. Its just a nice device to look at too.
    10-25-14 09:05 AM
    I love my z10; it's my daily driver. I have a z30 as a backup and use it at home on wifi.

I find I just don't need something quite so big when I'm out and about.

If I were to get PP eventually, I would mostly use it as a tablet and might end up carrying 2 phones! But I don't need to view or edit docs a great deal on my phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 09:24 AM
    Z10 is awesome. First phone I've owned that I was not waiting for my carrier contract to come up so I could upgrade. Load a10.3 leak and it's a new phone. I can easily use this phone for another year possibly 2.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 09:56 AM
    I'm going to try loading leak and experience 10.3 for myself. I can barely notice the 200MHz difference in CPU speed. While I'm starting to see the practical differences like battery life, stereo speakers I'm still happy with my Z10. After watching a movie on it, I can say the screen is large enough for enjoyable multimedia consumption with a clear and highly-defined picture. I haven't really noticed the higher PPI yet; maybe after reading a few more articles.
    10-25-14 10:33 AM
    I love my z10; it's my daily driver. I have a z30 as a backup and use it at home on wifi.

I find I just don't need something quite so big when I'm out and about.

If I were to get PP eventually, I would mostly use it as a tablet and might end up carrying 2 phones! But I don't need to view or edit docs a great deal on my phone.

Posted via CB10
    This is my conundrum as well. I want the Passport but I still love my Z10. I'm trying to justify if it's worth the cost just to use the Passport on wifi.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 10:36 AM
    I had the choice of Z30 & Z10...I just felt that the Z10 was right for me mainly as it fitted in my pocket better...Never regretted my choice love my phone.

My Z10 Whiteout
    10-25-14 04:01 PM
    The Z10 was a very comfortable device, but they really should have squeezed in at least 1.75*battery life. Definitely remember staring at it in admiration when I first got it. Now that three of them that I had have suffered that sudden Z10 death syndrome,.. I guess it was meant to be short lived.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 04:37 PM
    Uh, I have a Z10, so it's not perfect. I guess I like it too much and use it too much because my chief complaint is the poor battery life. At times I have not made it past 14 hours.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    10-25-14 05:09 PM
    14 hours in a z10? You don't use it enough !

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 05:42 PM
    This is my conundrum as well. I want the Passport but I still love my Z10. I'm trying to justify if it's worth the cost just to use the Passport on wifi.

Posted via CB10
    No problem. Switch to Verizon and you will never be bothered by that conundrum!
    10-25-14 06:23 PM
    I upgraded from the Z10 to the Z30, and gave the Z10 to my daughter. We are trading this week...I miss the size, and the better battery will be good for her...win/win.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 10:36 PM
    ........and this is precisely why I have not bought a BBPP yet because this Z10 has been so flawless....

Posted via Digicel Z10 10.2.1.3062
    10-26-14 12:02 AM
    Perfect machine!!!! Looks very modern and sophisticated oozes classy and understated looks!!

Posted via CB10
    Flatman likes this.
    10-26-14 03:17 AM
    I had a Z10 and later upgraded to a Z30.

I did it because of the upgraded internals, and better battery.

But to this day I prefer the looks of the Z10 and I think it's actually better designed.

Via passport
    Agreed. The Z10 is a beautiful device, especially the white one.

white Z30 STA100-5
    10-26-14 03:39 AM
    I agree, z10 is the best looking and designed one amongst other z and q series and weird looking passport.
    10-26-14 03:53 AM
    Good luck with the Z10, I was not a lucky man. 3 Z10 in less than one year and a half and still, lots of problems. First it was the sound secondly the camera and now it turns off after a few minutes and cannot turn on and after more than 3 months blackberry cannot find a solution... Good luck with the fantastic Z10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-26-14 04:31 AM
36 12