Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Masahiro
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,372 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Oh Blackberry, you priced yourself out of success!

Looking at the UK deals, either the carriers are being greedy or Blackberry has set the prices a little high.

either way BB10 has been shown to be around the level of Android and iOS and not way ahead of them as some mistakenly believed.

By pricing themselves in the category, or indeed in front of, the likes of the S3 and iPhone 5, Blackberry may have priced themselves out of the game.
    The Z10 will have some moderate success no doubt, but neutrals will not choose a Z10 over the more established and popular flagship devices, especially if they have to pay the same or more for it.

It is vital for Blackberry to release a budget device quickly, as it's biggest users are budget users here and the Z10 is clearly not targeted for them
    Primary Device: Moto X
    Backup Device: Blackberry Z10
    CrackBerry Genius

It can be bought for as low as $550 CAD in Canada (around £350). That's not too shabby.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    CrackBerry Addict

what's wrong with some people?! .....
    the Z10 has a nice price, im happy about it, like Masahiro said... $550 CAD, what's the problem here?

even if it was 150$ off contract, people would still be complaining.. so ridiculous
    it'll probably cost around 500-650euro in germany and you don't see me complaining
    CrackBerry User

Default Oh Blackberry, you priced yourself out of success!

I remember lots of people said the price was too steep when rumour said the price would be $650-$750.
    and would pay happily if it's $550. Well, can never satisfy 100% of people in this world I guess.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    It can be bought for as low as $550 CAD in Canada (around £350). That's not too shabby.
    Lowest here is £480, which is $761 CAD.

eta - it's £200 ($317) more than a Nexus 4.

I would dearly love one, but cannot afford it right now. I'll probably have to go the contract route when mine expires in a few months.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Wmsi View Post
    eta - it's £200 ($317) more than a Nexus 4.
    No phone should be compared to the Nexus 4 in terms of pricing. That phone is subsidized by Google.

I have a sneaking suspicion the prices will start to fall after about a week or so. The UK currently enjoys having the status of being the only country in the world with the Z10 immediately available, and the carriers may try to gouge people that would try and make money by exporting them overseas. These things are up on eBay for a grand each (but whether anyone is actually buying them at those prices is another thing).
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    jesse_h and Ben1232 like this.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    No phone should be compared to the Nexus 4 in terms of pricing. That phone is subsidized by Google.
    Fair enough. But it's still $211 CAD more expensive here than it is in Canada.
    CrackBerry Genius

For a brand new flagship BlackBerry, the leaked price of £480 is cheap I think. Compared to some parts of the world, the UK is a BlackBerry country. I had to look up that nexus 4 a while back because I kept hearing about it & didn't know what it was.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I think I need to post my opinion here.
    LG Nexus 4? Have you seen the unsubsidised price for this phone SIM free. It's over £450. On Google Play you can get one for under £300. But it's got no SD expansion slot and a fixed battery.
    BlackBerry cannot afford to sell the Z10 at cost because that is a sure fire way to deep six the company. I agree that the launch price SIM free should match the Iphone 4s which is £30 cheaper.
    I would say that the retailers are getting the phone for around £250 and sticking a sizeable mark up to gouge early adopters.
    I have calculated that the bargain price SIM free for a z10 is £380. If you wait 12 weeks it will hit that price from Amazon.
    CrackBerry User

But all the top tier mobile phones are priced artificially high anyway aren't they? Nexus 4s are certainly not being sold at a loss. A 16gb iPhone 4s costs £200 more than a 32gb new ipod touch. Know how much the phone and GPS bits cost for an iphone? I don't but I do know that it's absolutely nowhere near £200. The profit margins on these top phones are enormous. They are priced this way so that carriers can justify huge tariffs and customers think that it's a fair price because of how expensive the phones are to buy sim free.

If I've overlooked something here (entirely likely!) I'm sure someone will be kind enough to point it out :-)