It's nothing I expect to see in an update, but have you ever heard reasons why Verizon likes to force you on to LTE, whether you want it or not? I know there's an app for some Android phones (Samsung Galaxys at least) to override this. Apple isn't blocked (probably because what Apple wants, Apple gets). I can go in to the engineering screen and force 3G/1XEV... but that's sort of a hassle.

It's a bit annoying I think. I'd much much prefer to leave it on 3G/1XEV and switch LTE on when desired.

Yea this is a bit off topic, but since this thread started out with a misleading topic, I don't care. :-P
    I also wish Verizon had the option to switch down to 3G connection when there is no available 4G LTE.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 03:46 PM
    I also wish Verizon had the option to switch down to 3G connection when there is no available 4G LTE.

Posted via CB10
    That is exactly what my phone does when it can't reach 4G. It switches automatically to 3G. I thought maybe that's because of the global setting on Verizon

Ascendant Music BBM Channel C000B8970
    05-29-13 03:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    http://crackberry.com/how-access-eng...-blackberry-10

Verizon Z10 can be switched to 3g only!
    05-30-13 11:40 AM
    Ok i got some news for the update. It is being targeted for the first week of June. Apparently there is an issue that they conveniently aren't saying what it is. They said it isn't serious but an annoying bug that one of the testers caught. If they fix it before then it will be sooner.

Posted via CB10

Hi there,

Any update on the release date or it is still scheduled for next week? Also, do you know what version the one they found the bug on is?

You should really get paid for helping Verizon customers on crackberry.

Thanks for always clarifying these BlackBerry / Verizon confusion.

I love BlackBerry 10.1 too

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 05:12 PM
    Bump to the top, Verizon hurry up I can't get my SMS back up till you give us the update......Can't switch from my Note 2 to my new Z10 till I do this..... SMS back up will not work with 10.0.9
    05-30-13 06:05 PM
    Maybe with the Q10 release next week we will see something then or shortly after.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 06:17 PM
    So nobody knows? Ridiculous.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 03:29 PM
    Safe to say that no one knows...that's just Verizon's way. They test and test...
    05-31-13 04:18 PM
    They told me Mid-June

Posted via CB10 ~ Join the One And Only active News channel on BBM Channels just add C000E96C1 ~
    05-31-13 06:29 PM
    They told me Mid-June

Posted via CB10 ~ Join the One And Only active News channel on BBM Channels just add C000E96C1 ~
    Hope you're right as I'd loved to see that happen. I'm not one to download leaks, so waiting is okay for me. My little quirks will be waiting to be fixed!!
    05-31-13 06:33 PM
    Nobody knows. That's the update on the update.
    Don't be meek
    Download the leak
    Take my advice
    Its pretty nice
    Backup with Link
    Smooth as mink
    Just hit Restore
    If you don't like
    Look at mine or Bens or Brads or Lois's
    Such a nice phone with all these choices.
    Don't despair that your left behind
    You're the sweet stuff
    Being treated like rind.
    Carriers be damned, its not their job
    The OS police, update mob
    Like they "need" to know
    To support their clients
    They sell phones
    It isn't rocket science
    05-31-13 07:19 PM
    I ran great for four days. Perfect. Then I stopped getting work email. Now it works for a few minutes (after I re verify the account), then doesn't work for several hours, then doesn't let me re verify. I've deleted the account, re added it, rebooted, reinstalled the OS, wiped, started from scratch. No work email. And I'm the only one at my company with the problem, and the only independent variable is 1756.

Which is where you are wrong. No offense intended, but the problem with all these armchair quarterbacks is that they actually have no idea what all the variables are that affect their experience. They know perhaps 20% of the variables and then go jumping to unwarranted conclusions because of them.

Case in point: a bunch of people proclaimed that "10.1 dropped support for AC-3". As it turns out, that wasn't the case at all, they were just speculating based on the only variables they understood, the fact that they installed a 10.1 leak and they were no longer able to view AC-3 encoded files.

What in fact happened, apparently, is that there is some sort of licensing file or license key that comes with the official release that was lost when they installed that leak. People discovered that if you wiped the device, installed the official OS, and upgraded to the leak in a different way, AC-3 still worked because (presumably) the license key in that scenario did not get removed or invalidated.

It's like the people in this thread who say they tried a leak and it started rebooting on them, so they returned to the official 10.0.9.422/10.0.9.2743, and everything was peachy. Well guess what? Tons of VZW Z10 users have rebooting issues on the stock OS - mine started within 2 days of buying it the first day of release.

All of which should help to explain why a company like Verizon is unsurprisingly not in any hurry to release something just because this or that user thinks they absolutely have to have some new thing they heard it does, when in fact it might simultaneously also break a bunch of other things that that particular individual doesn't care about, or more likely hasn't the foggiest idea even exists.

Verizon has a reputation for being the most technically competent carrier in the USA, and that is for good reason. Unlike some of the 2-bit competition, they don't release generic firmware updates and let their users do the beta-testing, and then when they call to complain tell them "Uh, I dunno.". Neither do they promise something before they have had a chance to give it a good battery of QC testing and thus be confident that they can hold to that release schedule. It's frustrating to have to wait, but it is what it is. My guess is that they will probably release it right after they get the green-light from QC. I doubt it has anything to do with download bandwidth.
    05-31-13 07:23 PM
    BTW - while I also like to have more options rather than less if I have any say in the matter, one of the reasons VZW may "push" having LTE on all the time is because their LTE network is the only thing that allows them to overcome a technological limitation that their competition (especially AT&T) has been hammering on for the last couple of years: inability to support simultaneous voice and data.

If users turn off LTE on VZW, then they will lose the ability to use an internet service/app (including most mapping programs) or send/receive email while being on a phone call. I wouldn't be surprised if VZW figures that the competitive backlash from that would be far worse than possibly a little less battery-life on someone's smartphone, which will most likely get blamed on their smartphone manufacturer rather than the wireless carrier.

Just an example of the kinds of complex decisions that companies make that may not be obvious to the typical customer.
    05-31-13 07:30 PM
    Even though the waiting game is the norm with Verizon I'd still take it over the awfull 2 years I had at AT&T.

Yeah as far as I'm concerned AT&T is more or less the anti-christ. And I speak as a person who has had to deal with them from a telecom standpoint for many years, in their various permutations before and after renaming themselves from "Southwestern Bell" to "AT&T".
    trsbbs likes this.
    05-31-13 07:34 PM
    inability to support simultaneous voice and data.
    Did they disable this?
    To be honest I haven't been following along but when I got my Thunderbolt on launch the 3g network would also connect over the sim so SV&D worked. I guess this only worked if you have a LTE network in place though.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 08:03 PM
    Yeah as far as I'm concerned AT&T is more or less the anti-christ. And I speak as a person who has had to deal with them from a telecom standpoint for many years, in their various permutations before and after renaming themselves from "Southwestern Bell" to "AT&T".
    Let's not forget the current AT&T is formerly the customer unfriendly Cingulair. This is one of the main reasons I avoided them and went with AllTel, before Verizon bought AllTel. Then, Verizon was the customer service leader with AllTel being second (but better pricing), AT&T was right above Sprint (which I had just left) at the bottom of the barrel.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 08:05 PM
    [re: simultaneous voice and data]

Did they disable this?
    To be honest I haven't been following along but when I got my Thunderbolt on launch the 3g network would also connect over the sim so SV&D worked. I guess this only worked if you have a LTE network in place though.

It's a technical limitation of CDMA/IS-95 networks. No simultaneous voice/data on either EVDO-Rev0 networks, or EVDO-Rev-A networks.

Qualcomm finally came out with a variant of EVDO that supported it (EVDO-Rev-B) but I don't think any carriers ever deployed it.

So for a Verizon customer, if you wanted simultaneous voice and data, you have to have a LTE-capable device that can run both the CDMA/IS-95/EVDO radio at the same time as the LTE radio.

Hint: The iPhone 5 can NOT do this. No simultaneous voice and data on VZW networks.
    05-31-13 08:43 PM
    Man I never thought thought I would quote wikipedia but

In 2011, Verizon released their first SVDO-supported phone, the HTC Thunderbolt. The following year, Sprint released their first SVDO-supported phone, the HTC Evo 4G LTE. Although both phones support LTE, which already allows for simultaneous voice and data, when the devices are only in 3G data coverage, they can use SVDO to be in a 3G data session while on a phone call.
    05-31-13 08:59 PM
    Which is where you are wrong. No offense intended, but the problem with all these armchair quarterbacks is that they actually have no idea what all the variables are that affect their experience. They know perhaps 20% of the variables and then go jumping to unwarranted conclusions because of them.
    Omni, you conveniently left out the part where I said,

"Agree with the point about some have issues and others don't. That?s why they need extensive testing before releasing. If this was an official release I'd be pretty mad at both BlackBerry and VZ. As it is, it was a leak, my risk,no harm, I roll back."

I love when people make assumptions about what people understand and don't without having a clue about their background, education, experience, line of work, etc.

I'm running leaks and working with BB until Sunday night to get this EAS issue resolved with their latest builds. That account becomes critical again on Monday and so I roll back to 10.0.9.422 at that point. Based on VZ's extensive testing, I have some faith that when they release 10.1 it will work as intended.
    CMcRob likes this.
    05-31-13 09:08 PM
    Omni, you conveniently left out the part where I said,
    "Agree with the point about some have issues and others don't. That?s why they need extensive testing before releasing. If this was an official release I'd be pretty mad at both BlackBerry and VZ. As it is, it was a leak, my risk,no harm, I roll back."

I love when people make assumptions about what people understand and don't without having a clue about their background, education, experience, line of work, etc

I didn't leave out anything, I was responding to this point you made:

And I'm the only one at my company with the problem, and the only independent variable is 1756.

There are literally of thousands of similiar comments like this about the rebooting problem here, which leads to people making incorrect assumptions and is why I felt the need to create the following to stem the flood of people continuously posting misleading info about this or that "fix" for the issue:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...eryone-801750/

I'm not saying necessarily that you're telling everyone ".1756 is the reason for your problems", I'm saying that every time someone posts "Mine is broken and here is the only thing I think is different than those other devices", it leads people to make some destructive assumptions.
    05-31-13 09:26 PM
    Man I never thought thought I would quote wikipedia but

In 2011, Verizon released their first SVDO-supported phone, the HTC Thunderbolt. The following year, Sprint released their first SVDO-supported phone, the HTC Evo 4G LTE. Although both phones support LTE, which already allows for simultaneous voice and data, when the devices are only in 3G data coverage, they can use SVDO to be in a 3G data session while on a phone call.

You're right, I didn't know about that, probably because it looks like there were probably a total of 3 devices that supported it on VZW, most of which are discontinued now.

It also appears that it was a sort of 'trick' in that Qualcomm had separated some functions into 2 different chips, in essence running 2 radios at the same time over 2 different sets of antennas. (Not much different than the current situation with LTE running concurrently with the CDMA/EVDO radio)
    05-31-13 09:31 PM
    Yeah that's why I was asking. I just assumed those with a Z10 in non LTE areas where getting SVDO. If not I can see why there's no reason to have that radio on.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 09:39 PM
    I didn't leave out anything, I was responding to this point you made:

There are literally of thousands of similiar comments like this about the rebooting problem here, which leads to people making incorrect assumptions and is why I felt the need to create the following to stem the flood of people continuously posting misleading info about this or that "fix" for the issue:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...eryone-801750/

I'm not saying necessarily that you're telling everyone ".1756 is the reason for your problems", I'm saying that every time someone posts "Mine is broken and here is the only thing I think is different than those other devices", it leads people to make some destructive assumptions.
    The point I was making was that people shouldn't be so mad that VZ hasn't offered the update and VZ may have method to their delay madness - i.e., they don't think the prior builds were solid enough to release.

As for .1756 being the independent variable - it was. And so has been 1880, 1916, 2009, 2342, and now 2354. We've tested with factory reset, security wiped, same applications installed, same order to set up accounts, same everything except OS. Mine on 10.1, three others on 10.0. Mine is the only one that doesn't work.

Now I have no idea what difference there is in 10.1 vs 10.0 in how it handles EAS, other than no longer supporting non SSL and port 80, but there is a difference or differences.
    05-31-13 09:46 PM
    BTW - while I also like to have more options rather than less if I have any say in the matter, one of the reasons VZW may "push" having LTE on all the time is because their LTE network is the only thing that allows them to overcome a technological limitation that their competition (especially AT&T) has been hammering on for the last couple of years: inability to support simultaneous voice and data.

If users turn off LTE on VZW, then they will lose the ability to use an internet service/app (including most mapping programs) or send/receive email while being on a phone call. I wouldn't be surprised if VZW figures that the competitive backlash from that would be far worse than possibly a little less battery-life on someone's smartphone, which will most likely get blamed on their smartphone manufacturer rather than the wireless carrier.

Just an example of the kinds of complex decisions that companies make that may not be obvious to the typical customer.
    If VZW is allowed to modify the firmware to remove the network technology and manual mode options, then why not leave them in and instead just modify firmware to display a prompt letting the end user know that in order to use data and talk at the same time, LTE must be left on?

And if it is done just to compete with AT&T, why does AT&T also block those settings? I'm convinced it is nothing more than another way big blue and big red control you.

Think Nine Inch Nails "Mr. Self Destruct" lyrics instead it is: "I am the signal your phone gets, and I control you!"

I agree with what you said about AT&T though. Worst company to do business with.

~STV
    CMcRob likes this.
    05-31-13 10:02 PM
    Nobody knows. That's the update on the update.
    Don't be meek
    Download the leak
    Take my advice
    Its pretty nice
    Backup with Link
    Smooth as mink
    Just hit Restore
    If you don't like
    Look at mine or Bens or Brads or Lois's
    Such a nice phone with all these choices.
    Don't despair that your left behind
    You're the sweet stuff
    Being treated like rind.
    Carriers be damned, its not their job
    The OS police, update mob
    Like they "need" to know
    To support their clients
    They sell phones
    It isn't rocket science
    This is genius by the way.

~STV
    05-31-13 10:02 PM