I went ahead and put an iShields screen protector on. I didn't want to risk a device switch and possibly receive a lemon. My phone and battery are working really well so I can deal with it. Telus said I have a year if I change my mind.
    02-13-13 10:44 PM
    Thats just a year of manufacturing warranty, youre uninformed
    02-13-13 11:00 PM
    Thats just a year of manufacturing warranty, youre uninformed
    A year to RMA it (not return it) as that would fall under a manufacturing defect.
    02-13-13 11:41 PM
    shoulda used the gorilla glass D=
    02-13-13 11:49 PM
    have any of you tried using rubbing alcohol to remove it? it doesnt bother me that much since i will be putting a screen protector over it.
    02-14-13 12:48 AM
    I have the same type of issue with my Z10, except mine is a massive circle around the proximity sensor. Is this what everyone else's looks like? The smudge is pretty clear in the picture.

Odd smudges on screen-img-20130217-00211.jpg
    02-17-13 08:05 PM
    I have the same type of issue with my Z10, except mine is a massive circle around the proximity sensor. Is this what everyone else's looks like? The smudge is pretty clear in the picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20130217-00211.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	136465
    Yes, that picture looks about right. Switched my z10 and now it seems fine for me.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 09:23 PM
    I tried to exchange my device to wireless wave today, but I was not able to since I had already exchanged the white Z10 I got on release day for the black a week later. Has anyone tried to exchange more than 2 devices with any success?

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 09:58 PM
    This is not normal. It is not the protective cover they put during transportation because all phones have that cover and look awesome after taking it off. I believe somebody hit the nail on the head. They believe that a protective coating wiped away after hours of use. My screen doesn't feel slippery anymore - unlike when I first opened the box. Blackberry rushed this product. It should have had Gorilla Glass no matter what.
    02-18-13 07:51 AM
    I'd be interested to hear how your replaced Z10s are doing. Anybody replace their Z10 yet? If so I'm curious to see if it was the first batch of phones that didn't have a 'cured' protective film on it. Early adopters get the short end of the stick - pioneers have to bush whack our way through the countless bugs to make the device and OS a better product.
    02-18-13 08:08 AM
    Oil and water don't mix. The difference between liquids is what you're seeing on the screen. If you clean with a solution and start afresh the circles won't show up until you use the phone after eating a burger (for example). Even if you think wiping your hands on a napkin has 'em clean, they aren't. There will be residue on your fingers and it will sit and interact with everything else on the glass. Lots of little germs
    02-18-13 08:18 AM
    Oil and water don't mix. The difference between liquids is what you're seeing on the screen. If you clean with a solution and start afresh the circles won't show up until you use the phone after eating a burger (for example). Even if you think wiping your hands on a napkin has 'em clean, they aren't. There will be residue on your fingers and it will sit and interact with everything else on the glass. Lots of little germs
    That's all well and good for regular smudges but as I said in the original post, the smudges seems like they are burned on the screen; clean the screen and it looks perfect, but when you start smudging the screen through normal use, the exact same spot, same shape/colour shows up. Also, the spots are hydrophobic which is the confusing part.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 09:15 AM
    The longer I have my phone the more spots are appearing. This and the properties of the spots still make me think that the problem is not the spots themselves but the other areas, like there is a residue on the screen that shouldn't be there and it is wearing away.

Posted via CB10
    phylez likes this.
    02-18-13 09:48 AM
    Wow! I have the same thing. It's a mark that only seems to come up when the screen is grimey. I can clean it off with a microfibre clothe and it's perfect, then comes back when the phone screen has fingerprints. Thought I was going mad!
    02-20-13 12:18 AM
    i just ordered an ebay screen protector to put on it. now its gone. now if anyone is in the GTA region, i can hook them up as i got 4 extra for only a buck ea...
    02-20-13 12:33 AM
    I've seen this with an iPhone I had. Took a year or so to appear but it was the same symptoms. And where my ear touched the phone. I always assumed that the coating had worn off. But it shouldn't do this out of the box with new devices.
    02-20-13 12:41 AM
    We should rename this "Odd anti-smudges on screen" lol
    I have 2 large blotches and 4 or 5 small droplets. There is no way I'm exchanging my phone for this small flaw. Yes, I wish that the whole screen was as good at repelling smudges as these blotches are, but it's not worth everyones time money and effort in my opinion.
    02-24-13 07:33 PM
    I had these spots, smudges n circles too. They were visible more clearly in the sunlight...got a replacement!

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 08:04 PM
    Hmmm, my 3rd Z10 has after a few days of use suddenly shown up one of these blemishes, a centimeter in diameter and on the right side of the screen. Wasn't there to begin with, as after my first one had a nike like tick shape in the center of the screen I had looked out for this. The area where this one is is not in use, so can't be caused by finger rubbing the coating off. Strange. I'm quite upset at the scale of problems the new flagship Z10 is having.
    03-10-13 10:27 AM
    My wife's z10 is showing the same anti smudges, I know that most think it is minor, as she does, but the reality is that my screen doesn't have the same dots and is much more resistant to smudging.

Once you consider that this is a defect due to the improper application if the anti smudge coating and I think it is a problem that folks should be exchanging there devices to correct.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by andy93; 03-10-13 at 09:48 PM.
    03-10-13 11:10 AM
    I exchanged mine after fussing with it for several days.

Rep from rim happened to be on the store and saw it and commented it was defective.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 07:24 PM
    I have concluded that these spots are just the drool stains from my mouth. I just can't put my Zed down.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 07:40 PM
    It seems that smudgegate problem is quite widespread. Now I'm actually scared when picking a new one. How do you test for smudgegate? Rubbing the screen with greasy finger until the spots appear?
    03-10-13 08:58 PM
    Oops accidental quote.
    03-10-13 09:47 PM
    This issue us not widespread as there is thousands with out such issue including me.

Had my Z10 since Feb 12th and no issues.

It's seem to be certain screens that gave been made in Mexico area that seem to be faulty, not all but seems to be a batch or two within the last 2 weeks again thousands are not having this issue.

Now just go buy one and before even leaving the store turn it on to see if the screen is bright white or a yellow tinge. If yellow tinge, get another one right there, also look for any blemishes and if so, get another one right there.

Yeah some complaints seem to be after a few days if usage, so I recommend making sure the screen is a bright white lit one and not yellow tinge.

I dispise companies that take a cheaper root to make a cell phone for consumers. No its not blackberry its the plant that says we can put them together for xxx amount of dollars and use these parts to make them. This is where blackberry which I think already has stopped production with these places or corrected the issue and no longer allow such screens to be used.

BlackBerry is committed to making the z10 and BB10 the top phone and on no way will allow companies put out cap under there name.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    03-10-13 10:01 PM
137 12345 ...