So I got my Z10 on launch and am loving every second of it. One thing just showed up yesterday that has confounded me to no end.
    I just found these smudges on my screen, they look like droplets and they only show up when my phone gets all finger smudgy.
    Odd smudges on screen-smudge.jpg

I can clean it with a microfiber cloth and it comes perfectly clean.
    Odd smudges on screen-clean.jpg

But here's the odd thing, when clean, the smudged areas are invisible, yet if you were to smudge the screen, it would show up, more so, if say, water would fall on the screen, water tension would push it away from the smudge. Here's a pic of my screen after I licked it (what can I say? I love my phone)
    Odd smudges on screen-lick.jpg

It's a smudge that repels liquids.
    What is up with that?

Forgive the quality of photos (BlackBerry Torch 9860)
    Marc_Paradise likes this.
    02-09-13 12:25 PM
    Mine has about 6 of these! I've been wondering the same thing. Basically I'm just waiting for my screen protector to arrive; problem solved. I hope.

The texture of the spots feels different too. It's weird.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-09-13 12:28 PM
    i was just about to make a thread on this, i have the exact same thing and they are everywhere on my screen.
    02-09-13 12:28 PM
    ive heard of this blackberry love thing.........but your the first who's admitted giving it a french kiss!
    ESCON likes this.
    02-09-13 12:30 PM
    thankkk thank
    02-09-13 01:58 PM
    try cleaning it with glasses solution
    02-09-13 01:59 PM
    try cleaning it with glasses solution
    I have which is why it's so odd. The second the area gets smudged, it shows up.

I believe it to be residue from a solution from when the glass was manufactured or cleaned before packaging. As if it wasn't completely dry when the screen protector was placed on and as such it dried/cured onto the screen.

I know putting a screen protector on it after cleaning will solve the problem, however, I would just like to know what it is on my screen. It's one of those things that will irk me down the road when I remove my screen protector 2-3 years from now.

Javid Gozalov and BoldBigWorm like this.
    02-09-13 02:12 PM
    Ha! mine isn't a smudge, it's more of an edge of a circle. It is in no way effecting my phone. But I don't like it.
    02-09-13 02:25 PM
    This phone is such a fingerprint magnet (esp. the black one)... Im gonna get a matte screen protector
    der_mit likes this.
    02-09-13 02:49 PM
    I have 5 or 6 of these 'smudges' as well. They appear to be sweat and moisture resistant, I wish the whole screen had the properties of the smudges. However, I dont like the inconsistent look of it. I hope the y go away.
    02-09-13 03:08 PM
    I bought three Z10's only one of them has this issue. Two thumbprint sized blotches and ten droplets in an arc. My fear is that these blotches are actually inside the glass.

I should correct myself though in the fact the blotches are smudge proof.
    Last edited by kfroese302; 02-10-13 at 07:25 PM.
    02-10-13 12:13 PM
    yeah it aint gonna help if your hands have oil or some kind of grease on it.If your out socializing your screens getting smudge heck your screens gett smudge period in general uasage when put in bag pocket pouch.if you dont have screen protector its getting smudge.
    02-10-13 12:29 PM
    Hmm, didn't know that the Z10 had oleophobic coating on it especially since it is said it is a fingerprint magnet. It's a huge issue if they are shipping phones that aren't evenly coated
    02-10-13 12:35 PM
    I have exactly the same issue. It's really bugging me, one of those pesky things that can't be unnoticed. I hope someone has a solution.
    02-11-13 08:39 PM
    I had this issue also I took it back to Telus and one of the guys there used a microfiber and his fingernail..alot of rubbing and it came off I haven't tried to get the other ones off yet.. it seems to be a residue left from the film that protected it in packaging. He rubbed it a lot to get it off and also used his fingernail on the cloth to "Scrape" it.. After I saw him get the one spot off I was ok with the others knowing I could get them later..

02-11-13 09:34 PM
    got my phone today and noticed the same thing as well. looks removable though, just need a lot of elbow grease
    02-11-13 10:15 PM
    After trying the elbow grease method and examining the screen with a bright LED, it almost seems that the real problem is where the smudges aren't. It's almost like there is something on the rest of the screen that is attracting oil and such, whereas the "smudge" areas appear to repel the grim and under bright light, the screen is actually clearer in these areas. Could it be some sort of manufacturing defect?
    02-11-13 10:25 PM
    I just found a large blotch on the top left hand edge that wasnt there a few hours ago. I cleaned with a cloth, blotch disappeared and the reappeared shortly after again

shadwellal likes this.
    02-12-13 12:07 AM
    Same here seems it can be removed will give it a go
    02-12-13 12:42 AM
    Its barely noticable tbh
    02-12-13 03:06 AM
    Oh, so that BGR guy wasnt kidding when he said the Z10 was greasy
    02-12-13 03:18 AM
    I just noticed these while using my Z10 in the dark looking at a playing white screen (just opened Remember). I have a strong feeling these 'smudges' are there from the film from the packaging and can be removed with a lit of cleaning.

02-12-13 03:19 AM
    I thought I was the only one!! I have a bunch of circular smudges, shows up real nice when I breathe on the screen. Can't seem to get it off though, but a screen protector should hide the problem
    02-12-13 03:28 AM
    I followed everyones suggestion and used a microfiber, cleaning solution and a little elbow grease. It did remove the blotchy streak. I used my phone for a while and it did not return. However, after checking a VM with the phone up to my ear, I looked at the screen and the streak had returned again. It almost looks like a layer of coating from the screen has come off. It's odd that I can use the phone for hours with my hands with no streak but the second it touches my face, it returns (I know my face can't be that greasy ).

Any other suggestions? It seems like the my only choice left is to RMA the phone for a new one which I would hate to have to do.
    02-12-13 01:14 PM
    run it through the dishwasher... j/k
    02-12-13 01:17 PM
137 123 ...