I'm sure I will have some haters, but I have to get it off my chest, sort of talking to a therapist. I've always been a blackberry fan, since the early 1990's. Loved everything about them...the emails, the notification light that is like a beacon, the profiles, etc. I was looking forward to the z10 or at least a new device for over a year. I got it, an although there were a lot of things improved, especially the keyboard I have to say I was pretty disappointed. Now this is where people well say, then move on and good luck. But, like I said, I need this for therapy because of my love for BB. With that...here I go. How they possibly could leave out a button for the emails is beyond me. The company is so great with email gave one for texts, but not for email. Hello? Going to the hub is fairly easy, but definitely not as easy as going to push a dedicated email button. The peaking is a great feature, but I would have to guess that a majority of older people, say in the 50's, 60's are going to have a hard time with all of the swiping involved. Why not leave the swiping, but have a dedicated back button too? I realize swiping is easy, but I showed it to my father is recently switched from BB to iphone, and he was completely lost. Could he get the hang of it, probably....but if he went into a store to buy a phone I know he would be lost with the swiping and go with something a little easier. I say this cause I truly think BB will lose some people with this. I'm not a huge fan of apps, but I do have my neccessary ones such as my banking apps, camera app to see what is happening at my office when I'm not there and a few aviation apps. I was pretty excited to hear I could sideload them. Yeah...I figured it out pretty easily, but no way will the older folk who are in there 50's 60's figure it out. Anyway, out of the 8 apps I sideloaded included my local bank, Bank of America, ip camera app and others...one worked, which was American Express. One. Yeah, I could go to the website and do it all, but it is definitly not as easy. Operating system seems slightly laggy with having to open, open frames. This may be fixed in time, but for a system which was delayed to be perfected, they sure didn't perfect it. I'm not a hater...I truly love BB, but just really disappointed. I returned my and bought another smart phone...NOT AN IPHONE, and with all of the customization with every application...I'm just surprised BB didn't bring more to the table. I really hope they get there act together. I really love their phones or what used to be, but I really think they have a little ways to go.
    ihys, angad7.10, Rob1 and 17 others like this.
    03-31-13 10:54 AM
    Sounds like fair comment.
    angad7.10 and dantr0nz like this.
    03-31-13 11:01 AM
    I'm sure I will have some haters, but I have to get it off my chest, sort of talking to a therapist. I've always been a blackberry fan, since the early 1990's. Loved everything about them...the emails, the notification light that is like a beacon, the profiles, etc. I was looking forward to the z10 or at least a new device for over a year. I got it, an although there were a lot of things improved, especially the keyboard I have to say I was pretty disappointed. Now this is where people well say, then move on and good luck. But, like I said, I need this for therapy because of my love for BB. With that...here I go. How they possibly could leave out a button for the emails is beyond me. The company is so great with email gave one for texts, but not for email. Hello? Going to the hub is fairly easy, but definitely not as easy as going to push a dedicated email button. The peaking is a great feature, but I would have to guess that a majority of older people, say in the 50's, 60's are going to have a hard time with all of the swiping involved. Why not leave the swiping, but have a dedicated back button too? I realize swiping is easy, but I showed it to my father is recently switched from BB to iphone, and he was completely lost. Could he get the hang of it, probably....but if he went into a store to buy a phone I know he would be lost with the swiping and go with something a little easier. I say this cause I truly think BB will lose some people with this. I'm not a huge fan of apps, but I do have my neccessary ones such as my banking apps, camera app to see what is happening at my office when I'm not there and a few aviation apps. I was pretty excited to hear I could sideload them. Yeah...I figured it out pretty easily, but no way will the older folk who are in there 50's 60's figure it out. Anyway, out of the 8 apps I sideloaded included my local bank, Bank of America, ip camera app and others...one worked, which was American Express. One. Yeah, I could go to the website and do it all, but it is definitly not as easy. Operating system seems slightly laggy with having to open, open frames. This may be fixed in time, but for a system which was delayed to be perfected, they sure didn't perfect it. I'm not a hater...I truly love BB, but just really disappointed. I returned my and bought another smart phone...NOT AN IPHONE, and with all of the customization with every application...I'm just surprised BB didn't bring more to the table. I really hope they get there act together. I really love their phones or what used to be, but I really think they have a little ways to go.
    I don't agree with the email or swipping thing but hey it's your opinion, but the apps thing i hope you're not blaming blackberry for that

Posted via CB10
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    03-31-13 11:01 AM
    New phone with a new OS, things are bound to be different, remember this change was as a result of people complaining that BlackBerry was becoming old and obsolete with the older OS. I understand your dislike of this newer OS but as with anything, it just may not be for you...In time I'm sure that this new platform will continue to improve with consumer feedback and perhaps your dislikes of BB10 will be taken into consideration as BlackBerry continues to build upon this new OS.
    *Please know that no offense or sarcasm is intended in my reply to you
    03-31-13 11:04 AM
    BlackBerry flow and hub is not for everyone.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    03-31-13 11:06 AM
    Sorry to hear about difficulty. Phone has big learning curve and if you're not open and patient you're going to have a bad time

Posted via CB10 from my BlackBerry zed one zero
    03-31-13 11:08 AM
    I won't bother to read all that. If you need to use this site in a cathartic manner over changing phones, you may have need of therapy beyond this site.
    03-31-13 11:10 AM
    One thing i love about the Z10 is the lack of HARDWARE buttons, best decision EVER!!!. Why you ask??, less parts to cause issues and break down. As much as i loved my 9900, my 9780 and 9000 before the Z10 is the fact that after a few mths of use, the damn trackpads or trackballs would start to give me issues ie not responding or getting clogged up with dirt. Sure they were great for selective copying and pasting but im glad they are no longer on the Z10.
    As i said, the less parts to break down and give users issues the better.

But yes the Z10 will take some time getting used to, i have a playbook and it took me a day or 2 to finally get to grips with my z10. One thing is for sure, its not a phone for everyone and does take time getting used to.
    03-31-13 11:12 AM
    I hope you enjoy whatever device you settled on.

I'm starting to push 50, and have had absolutely no issues adapting to the swipe and flow of the z10. In fact after this short time I can't imagine doing it any other way. It just seems so natural to me now. Though I guess that I've always been open to embracing the new when it comes to the tech I want to use.

Ya, I am an unabashed BB supporter. Don't like that? Then put me on ignore.
    03-31-13 11:12 AM
    Yes, you can't plan to please everyone. I'm 62 and don't have a problem with swiping. Before I received my phone I did some research on this site and I played with a live phone at my Bell store. When I got my phone I had the main operation figured out in 15 minutes. Apps? I don't rely on any. The phone has a great browser and I can bookmark any site including banking, eBay and other forums I go to. The perfect phone doesn't exist but I sure like this one.
    03-31-13 11:13 AM
    I am one of those "older" people you speak of, 51 to be exact. I find the Hub brilliant and quite easy to use. I have access to all my communications from anywhere. I can respond from there. Is it different from os7? Sure it is but change can be both challenging and good. Your decision is personal and that's ok. Choice is good. I believe, given time, BB10 will succeed.
    03-31-13 11:14 AM
    People in their 60's will have a hard time swiping? Perhaps as we age we may have a tough time seeing and finding buttons.

Swiping allows a user to make contact to a general area of a screen, my opinion is that it would actually be easier for users to learn a few swipe commands.

As anothet user posted, rim was accused of being archaic with buttons on their devices and now that they are removed its likely to upset a few users. Have you checked out the bold or torch?

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    03-31-13 11:14 AM
    Hey, I'm in my very late 50's (59 and still surprised about it) I'm not having a problem, although I'm really more of a hard keyboard person, the swiping is great and as for the email being tucked away in the Hub, it's fine with me. On my 9900, I had my emails in one folder anyway, so the hub is just another file folder for me.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 11:18 AM
    Holy Crap!! Going to be 77 in July and thought the swipes would be good exercise for me. You wait till after I order it to tell me it's not for us old timers. Oh well, at least when it rings I can pull it out of the holster and say "hello". Try that with your Android.
    It sounds like you might prefer the Q10.
    IMO, as a 9000 hard KB user for many years, the Z10's virtual KB is difficult to get used to.
    Certainly the Z10 is not as fast and error free typing like a hard KB.
    I am learning to 'like' the Z10, if not only for the speed of network and large screen.
    The native Photo quality is better than any other BB I have seen.
    Though I am not a power user, using (almost no) social networking, the hub for email accounts and BBM is a real plus.

OP: I am glad you tried the Z10.
    Like my daughter who has a 9900 because it has a hard KB, I certainly will not suggest that she upgrades to Z10.
    As said, Q10 may be a better choice.
    If you want an icon for emails, install 'compose' which is a free app from SCrApps.

Posted via CB10
    allstar0088, Omnitech, PPL and 1 others like this.
    03-31-13 11:19 AM
    It's a fair comment. The Z10 did not work out for you and you have moved on. Not everyone is going to like the Z10 and I get that.

I do own an iPhone and Samsung phone as well and they each have advantages and disadvantages, as well as their own issues. Go on iMore and Android Central forums and you will see what I mean. So you are not going to find a perfect phone, no matter what platform you end up going to.

For me, I am happy with mine and even though it is not perfect, it gives me a much better user experience than my prior phone and I am expecting improvements to come with future software updates. As they say, different strokes for different folks.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    03-31-13 11:20 AM
    Sorry to hear the new OS wasn't what you expected. Godspeed with whatever device you chose.

I miss quite a few things from BBOS as well, but with any luck those things will be added in future updates (hopefully soon). In the meantime, BB10 is a really enjoyable experience.
    03-31-13 11:21 AM
    yea that swipe up from the bottom and over really throws the mind for a loop(not)
    The swiping is the best part of BB10, allthough I still only have my PB, I do use swiping on other phones and tablets, just to find out again, that it doesn't work on other phones.

For dedicated buttons, maybe q10 is more for you?, should be possible on the Q10. On the Z10, the camera button should be made configurable, so you could change it for an other program you use most of the time.
    Yes apps missing. Can get by without them for now. Can bank on our banks mobile site and I don't need Netflix at all. It's all going to come, this is an all new platform. Give it time folks.

Posted via CB10
    mscloutier, allstar0088 and jafrul like this.
    03-31-13 11:23 AM
    Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will come back in future.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 11:24 AM
    i just dont understand how it could be more simple than swiping to hub and pressing compose. but its cool. to each his own.

i will say this tho as far as yr age statement, my dad, who is 67 btw, knows how to sideload apps on his playbook....
    03-31-13 11:25 AM
    Sounds like OP is already 'set in his ways'. Some adapt to change better than others.

The BB10 gestures and hub concept are more efficient than anything else on the market.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 11:28 AM
    there is a reason the other companies copy each other...because it makes sense. blackberry, innovated to be different, but different does not always mean better. yes some people will prefer the 'bb way', but a majority wont. trying to be different is a huge risk, sometimes it pays off but it probably wont for bb this time.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    03-31-13 11:30 AM
266 123 ...