http://www.unwiredview.com/2013/03/1...ot-very-wrong/

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-13-13 11:46 AM
    He claims that the ringing and pinging is driving him crazy. All he needs to do is add custom rings to people that he wants highlighted. It takes a bit of time, but is easy to achieve.
    This is a piece by someone who admits that they are an iPhone user and is used to working that way. This would be somewhere around no 20, if not lower on my list of nice things to have. Not essential IMO.
    03-13-13 11:53 AM
    My notifications in the Hub show up as read once I've cleared them in the app they are from (Facebook, for example) or if I've read an email on the computer (Gmail, for example). I'm not sure where this guy is coming from on that.

As for the lack of popup notifications, that was intentionally put in there because of the peek option. If you're doing something, like writing an email or whatever, the notification that something came in won't interrupt what you are doing. If you want to know right then and there, swipe up from the bottom and over to the right to peek at it (providing you're at the Hub home screen, something I always do before exiting the Hub).

As for no method of seeing who wrote an email, where it came from or anything like that at the lock screen, I suppose it would be nice, but it's not really a deal breaker for me (and for many, I imagine). It's good enough that if I turn on the screen I can see whether it's an email or a Facebook notification. If you have multiple email accounts, it might be nice to be able to differentiate between them (perhaps through a symbol on the envelope notification, like a number of a letter) at the lock screen, so you know whether it's an email that's worth reading or not. I'm not a fan of the screen popping on while the phone is locked when a notification comes in, but that's just my personal preference. Most of the time when my phone isn't in use it's in the holster or pouch, so that's a non-issue for me anyway.

JB
    03-13-13 11:58 AM
    My notifications in the Hub show up as read once I've cleared them in the app they are from (Facebook, for example) or if I've read an email on the computer (Gmail, for example). I'm not sure where this guy is coming from on that.
    It doesn't happen instantaneously. I will agree on that with the article, I've often gotten a FB message while i'm on my laptop browser and I get it at the same time time on my Z10, but even after 10 or so minutes it still shows as a notification. Eventually it turns to "read" but I haven't really been able to pin point what timeframe it takes for this to happen on my device. Most of the time I find it more convenient to just select it as read so I don't have the notification showing up on my screen.
    03-13-13 12:57 PM
    When I switched back to BlackBerry from iPhone took me about 1 day to get use to the "No pop Up" which I hated when I first got the iPhone and now I remember why I hated it. Rather have a blinking led and once be buzz comes if ever then ill have a better idea of what's what. Pop ups windows makes me not want to leave my phone un attended worried someone might glance at my personal messages etc

Posted via CB10 with my Zed 10
    03-13-13 01:07 PM
    Take the ability to have my phone�s screen turn on when a new email comes in. Android won�t allow that. Yes, there are apps to facilitate that functionality, but really, shouldn�t it be a lot easier? I want to know who is sending me an email to my work account (Exchange. Yes, really.) without the need to open the app and look. Sorry, Android folks, not possible right now.
    I'd owned my first Android for all of an hour before I had mine lighting up the screen when email or IMs came in. It's apparently not difficult for a brand new user to find an app for it.

My notification dropdown shows the email sender, subject, and some body text. I don't get why he says Android doesn't?

And Android allows you to dismiss individual notifications from the dropdown, so you can kinda use it as a running "to do" list in a way. I don't think iOS allows that.

Android also has apps, much like BBOS did, which allow nearly infinite customization of alerts and notifications. iOs doesn't as far as I know, at least not without Jailbreaking.
    03-13-13 01:08 PM
    When I switched back to BlackBerry from iPhone took me about 1 day to get use to the "No pop Up" which I hated when I first got the iPhone and now I remember why I hated it. Rather have a blinking led and once be buzz comes if ever then ill have a better idea of what's what. Pop ups windows makes me not want to leave my phone un attended worried someone might glance at my personal messages etc

Which comes back to the security standpoint. By not having the screen turn on when you receive a notification, it ensures that no one but you can see your messages come in while it's sitting on a table across the room, or if it's sitting on a table or the arm rest of a chair beside you while you're reading a book at the library. Just one more way BB is making efforts to protect consumers' privacy.

JB
    miketko likes this.
    03-13-13 01:13 PM
    I would have to disagree with the article, I think the HUB is the perfect alternative to a pop-up or pull down or what have you. You can essentially peak at it any time you want, same as a pull down, and it doesn�t disturb you well in the middle of something, like a pop up would. Also, you are always directly in your messages when you do peak at the HUB, instead of looking at a separate notification window. I find a separate notification often discourages me to actually go into the message list, now it�s the same thing. I always felt it was redundant.

As for the screen turning on, I couldn�t stand this; first it would encourage others to read the message, as I have caught myself doing the same when people leave their phones on their desks. Oh, it just turned on, what�s that about, oh, I am reading a private text message now. Second, it would be turning on in my pocket all the time, especially when I have no intention of looking at it.

Lastly, I wouldn�t mind if I could see message headers on the lock screen because well sometimes I just like to straight up ignore things. But, then again I almost always clear the blinking LED, so really it isn�t necessary.

I dunno, perhaps I feel this way because I have always been a BB user� but I do like it.
    03-13-13 01:46 PM
    Which comes back to the security standpoint. By not having the screen turn on when you receive a notification, it ensures that no one but you can see your messages come in while it's sitting on a table across the room, or if it's sitting on a table or the arm rest of a chair beside you while you're reading a book at the library. Just one more way BB is making efforts to protect consumers' privacy.

JB
    I seriously wonder how many here have ever actually used anything other than a Blackberry. So many of these comments praising the security advantages etc etc arise from ignorance of other platforms. In iOS, if you don't want notifications to appear on the lock screen you can of course turn them off.

�Change how notifications appear: Go to Settings > Notifications. You can:
    (Snip lots of other notification customization)
    -Hide alerts from an app when iPhone is locked: Choose the app in the In Notification Center list, then turn off �View in Lock Screen.�

It will be interesting to watch the miraculous conversion of opinions if lock screen notifications become available on BB10.1.
    03-13-13 02:24 PM
    It will be interesting to watch the miraculous conversion of opinions if lock screen notifications become available on BB10.1.
    It's the same all over though. I've read amusing threads on iOS forums about how an LED is the most distracting thing ever, people don't want to be slaves to their phones so don't want one, etc.

It's just odd here since notification customization was one of the most-often mentioned distinguishing feature about legacy BlackBerries.
    03-13-13 03:04 PM
    I agree with him that not knowing what an incoming message is without turning on the screen is annoying. As long as I could customize the led I would be happy, but who knows if they will make an app for that.

03-13-13 05:25 PM
    Does he mention the annoyance of not knowing if you have a missed msg if you miss the pop up with the lack of an LED. Having to keep Turning on the screen with the home button is brutal

03-13-13 05:28 PM
    I agree with him that not knowing what an incoming message is without turning on the screen is annoying. As long as I could customize the led I would be happy, but who knows if they will make an app for that.

If be buzz isn't making one which I wouldn't have any idea why not, I'm sure someone is on it

03-13-13 05:29 PM