That is actually what worries me alot. Just got the Playbook about two weeks ago and I still suffer from the lack of the trackpad. In general I still prefer using my 9900 when it comes to any kind of text input to the Playbook. Neither that tablets keyboard, nor the text selection/cursor positioning can even barely compete with the small Bold.
    What is interesting though: The Bold 9900 is the first trackpad phone I had since late 2010 and the phone I used prior my Bold also had no trackpad. Either I got used to that small pad way too much or I simply got around previously without it.
    I completely get where your coming from however imo I just cant see the integration of a track pad working with the swipe and flow of bb10. OS7 and down was built with a track pad, ball, or wheel in mind, although you may think a track pad would make life a lot easier, I personally believe a track pad could hinder the whole flow of bb10...
    01-03-13 08:32 PM
    I didn't think I could do without the trackpad and front 4 buttons, but seeing the way BB10 is, there is no need for it. I have always used physical keyboard BlackBerrys, but with BB10 it makes sense to go All-Touch!
    What exactly about the "way BB10 is" will make it easy to use without the trackpad?

Ok...I guess if I were in that situation I would just...take them off?
    Kind of defeats the purpose, especially if you're carrying bags, a camera or whatever. I shouldn't have to undress to use the phone...
    01-03-13 09:06 PM
    I completely get where your coming from however imo I just cant see the integration of a track pad working with the swipe and flow of bb10. OS7 and down was built with a track pad, ball, or wheel in mind, although you may think a track pad would make life a lot easier, I personally believe a track pad could hinder the whole flow of bb10...
    Remember to not get too caught up with peek and flow. While it's a big feature of the OS, it isn't the only feature. Text editing is still a big use for BlackBerry phones and the trackpad makes this a lot easier.

But if peek and flow can't be used with the trackpad and the screen can't be used with gloves, then I do worry about the usability of the phone. I'm thinking more and more I'll try to find a Torch 9810 to replace my 9800. Unfortunatley Bell doesn't sell them anymore and RIM doesn't sell them direct.
    01-03-13 09:09 PM
    I think you'll all get used to using the device without the addition of a trackpad. Five years ago, I'm sure the majority of people thought it was ridiculous to have a touch screen phone without a physical keyboard, look how that turned out.....
    01-03-13 09:45 PM
    I think you'll all get used to using the device without the addition of a trackpad. Five years ago, I'm sure the majority of people thought it was ridiculous to have a touch screen phone without a physical keyboard, look how that turned out.....
    I've had what, a year? to get used to a touch-only interface on the PlayBook. It's an absolute nightmare.

Now that I've experienced the difference, I have no intention of buying a BB10 phone without a trackpad. I'll get a Bold 9900 on clearance, hopefully. Would have ben a Torch 9810 but Bell in their infinite wisdom decided to discontinue them. Idiots.
    01-04-13 02:42 AM
    Great, so when it's in my pocket what's the chance it will unlock itself and do things I don't want it to do?
    Uuh, very slim if you press the lock button on the side of the phone...

Seriously though, we get it! There are some things the trackpad was great for! Mostly anyone who's ever used a BlackBerry knows that. However, it's also been known for quite some time that the trackpad will probably not be making a return to BB10, so it's time you either face the reality of what the new platform is all about (i.e. a gesture-based user interface without any buttons on the front), or try any one of these solutions:

- Buy a 9810 off Craigslist (they're cheap nowadays)
    - Buy a capacitive stylus, Samsung Note, or Nokia 920
    - Buy an old Windows phone with a resistive touchscreen
    - Buy capacitive gloves that don't suck
    01-04-13 03:15 AM
    The two main reasons i love my torch are the physical keyboard and the trackpad. I understand that the software has been designed without the trackpad in mind but for those of us that hate getting greasy fingers all over the screen the trackpad is a must. For the first time in i don't know how many years, i will be looking at the alternatives to Blackberry.
    01-04-13 04:50 AM
32 12