Remember when u bought a blackberry it cost $30 for Bis now that BIS is gone carriers didnt say with z10 it will be $30 cheaper cause u dont need BIS and that was 30 bucks ! no we pay same money.
    they just say any data plan will work for money of course so they have us coming and going.
    I don't pay a penny more for my BIS than I would for any other smartphone plan.
    03-24-13 11:31 AM
    Yawn

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    03-24-13 11:38 AM
    BlackBerry has decided to ditch BIS and they must have thought about it from future perspectives of cost and benefits as well as technology. They need to educate users advantages and how to deal with any drawbacks. For me I learned on my own that to get instant email as before I need to change from outdated Yahoo to Gmail or outlook which is easy but an inconvenience. I am also sure there will be advantages in getting rid of BIS . CB should do a detailed piece on it .

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 12:07 PM
    I am not attacking you, OP, but obviously BIS wasn't so important to you. You have been getting along just fine without it on your current device(s).
    web99 likes this.
    03-24-13 12:18 PM
    I wish they would ditch the BIS requirement for the older BB devices as well,
    Why would you wish that for? BIS is what keeps me with 9900 and away from Z10.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    03-24-13 12:40 PM
    Why would you wish that for? BIS is what keeps me with 9900 and away from Z10.
    Maybe jealousy. :-)
    03-24-13 02:30 PM
    I am not attacking you, OP, but obviously BIS wasn't so important to you. You have been getting along just fine without it on your current device(s).
    When all five of your 9900 devices go into the crapper you learn to make sacrifices. I have been without BIS for so long that, you are right, and I learned to get along without it.
    03-24-13 02:33 PM
    After five pages I haven't seen any other reason for bis other than the plan that a carrier do.

Come guys girls bis wasn't what was useful, all the functionality is still here and better with proper two way sync for your accounts across all your devices. Proper push mail that is quicker as it doesn't have to wait for bis to collect it first. Blah blah blah

The only argument I've heard is carrier and the cost they charge for plans. I guess we are lucky in the UK as data plans are cheap. You should demand the same from your carriers or vote with your feet

Alternatively just get a hosted bes, move your email domain there and continue to enjoy it.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 03:15 PM
    After five pages I haven't seen any other reason for bis other than the plan that a carrier do.

Come guys girls bis wasn't what was useful, all the functionality is still here and better with proper two way sync for your accounts across all your devices. Proper push mail that is quicker as it doesn't have to wait for bis to collect it first. Blah blah blah

The only argument I've heard is carrier and the cost they charge for plans. I guess we are lucky in the UK as data plans are cheap. You should demand the same from your carriers or vote with your feet

Alternatively just get a hosted bes, move your email domain there and continue to enjoy it.

Posted via CB10
    Then you haven't read all the posts.
    Just a few examples, the push isn't yet as reliable, the sync isn't reliable for mail or contacts, the delete on server option being gone, the 30 day limit, the data compression, the roaming charges.
    And I'm in the UK and the exact same points apply here.
    h20work likes this.
    03-24-13 03:33 PM
    Then you haven't read all the posts.
    Just a few examples, the push isn't yet as reliable, the sync isn't reliable for mail or contacts, the delete on server option being gone, the 30 day limit, the data compression, the roaming charges.
    And I'm in the UK and the exact same points apply here.
    Push not reliable? Where have you got your email hosted? Sounds like you need a different email provider. Remember BIS only pushed after it picked up the email....Plenty of solid email hosting providers out there that can provide IMAP IDLE with Active Sync on top. It is box standard with any Linux email distribution for those who don't want MS Exchange.

There was no sync with BIS, it was one way. If you read a message on the blackberry it didn't mark it as read on the server and thus not on the iPad, other phone, blah blah

Contacts; carddav is a global standard. It works absolutely beautiful, Apple has been using it for a long long time, Google has joined the club. I add on my Z10 and my iPad, Playbook, MacBook all have the same contact details. And vice versa.

Delete on server, that depends on how you configure your server. The point is as there is two way sync you don't need it. Once you've deleted on the Z10, it won't show on the other devices unlike BIS where you had to take a specific step. So you are raising something that is obsolete, understandable if you haven't got the experience.

Data compression absolutely fair enough, but I considering you can have all you can eat data here in the UK from a few quid a month is that really an issue? Roaming charges...Again depends on your price plan, within Europe my Vodafone contract allows me to use my unlimited call/text allowance for a few pounds extra. Seems pretty good to me. But both points are in relation to the price plan aren't they...
    03-24-13 04:08 PM
    My email provider charges an extra $29.99/month for hosted bes, that's in addition to my data plan through my carrier, and in addition to my normal web hosting charges. You can argue that it's only a little extra, but in reality it's like paying double.

As someone who travels very often, the compression was a big deal. Try leaving the EU and get nailed with a $1500 phone bill and let me know if it's a big deal then.

The 30 day sync is a scary thought. 9 times out of 10, I use my bb for email. I occasionally will use one of my pc's.
    03-24-13 04:25 PM
    If it's not for you then fine but there are others it is for. My initial comment holds. This is a waste of a thread that seems to only provoke argument and back and forth flaming. You made the choice to outfit yourself with idevices and mind they work for you. That's great. I'm happy for you. But to come and create a thread to simply say that you've gone Apple and don't see the value of the Z10 is ridiculous and redundant. The lack of BIS does not affect you so why should you give a damn.

Posted via CB10
    This is a copy and paste post and by that I mean to save it, then copy and paste it for all this useless threads I've been seeing of late.

Posted via CB10 using a Z10
    h20work likes this.
    03-24-13 04:42 PM
    Funny, they don't seem to be complaining about all the "i got one" threads. Those should all be consolidated to keep the forums from getting cluttered.
    03-24-13 04:45 PM
    My email provider charges an extra $29.99/month for hosted bes, that's in addition to my data plan through my carrier, and in addition to my normal web hosting charges. You can argue that it's only a little extra, but in reality it's like paying double.

As someone who travels very often, the compression was a big deal. Try leaving the EU and get nailed with a $1500 phone bill and let me know if it's a big deal then.

The 30 day sync is a scary thought. 9 times out of 10, I use my bb for email. I occasionally will use one of my pc's.
    Why is that scary. Surely you can just go into the server folder and see the mail there if you keep it all. Anyway hope you have got a good email provider if you keep it all up on their server.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 05:11 PM
    Why is that scary. Surely you can just go into the server folder and see the mail there if you keep it all. Anyway hope you have got a good email provider if you keep it all up on their server.

Posted via CB10
    I use network solutions, reliable enough? Missing your point though, I didn't need to "leave it all up their server". Care to elaborate?
    03-24-13 05:17 PM
    Network Solutions does a great job. They offer three email levels too. I use a basic pop account on my 9810. The behavior is FINE. Its almost instant sometimes. Some other times not so fast but to be honest ITS ACCEPTABLE. Regular pop email of your own domain is not better than the att.blackberry.net email but still acceptable.

I think the OP and some are concerned more about compression. Thats the real thing that gets lost and is a real concern for some people. After more research and own experience study.....i have to agree that the email changes is NOT an issue. Watch your towers and building your in. They can cause trouble.
    03-24-13 05:39 PM
    I use network solutions, reliable enough? Missing your point though, I didn't need to "leave it all up their server". Care to elaborate?
    Network solutions is an old original registrar. Not sure about hosting and whether they do it themselves. As long as your package includes backup restore.

Well if you don't connect it to a computer and move the mail to offline mail stores you are leaving it on the server. But the advantage if you do is that you can access it from anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 05:42 PM
    Network Solutions does a great job. They offer three email levels too. I use a basic pop account on my 9810. The behavior is FINE. Its almost instant sometimes. Some other times not so fast but to be honest ITS ACCEPTABLE. Regular pop email of your own domain is not better than the att.blackberry.net email but still acceptable.

I think the OP and some are concerned more about compression. Thats the real thing that gets lost and is a real concern for some people. After more research and own experience study.....i have to agree that the email changes is NOT an issue. Watch your towers and building your in. They can cause trouble.
    That is why the rest of us are talking about imap. Pop is so old and nor very efficient especially if you have multiple devices from which you access your email. I couldn't think of any good reason why anyone would use pop for mail intended to be read by human beings.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 05:45 PM
    BIS was my number one positive attribute for owning a Blackberry. Sorry, but without BIS I ask the question: What is the real advantage to the Z10 and BB10. What sets it apart from Apple and Android and don't give me that "laggy" cr^p, there is nothing slow about the S3 I used.

I have been a long time user of this forum and been using BB likely, before some of you were even born! I just do not see what sets the new Blackberry device ahead of my current phone? I was forced to leave BB and go to the iPhone, iTouch and iPad when ever single 9900 died one after one. Not a week would go by when we were not at AT&T getting one of our Bolds replaced. At a certin point, I made the choice to jump. IOS is not magic but it works well and keeps all of my devices synced with each other. Apps, I use very few, it is really that the OS just works!

Sorry to vent here but I have used the BB back to the 950 days and am very unhappy at what Blackberry has become. I see the loss of BIS as a cost saving feature for Blackberry and if so, this mean it will disappear even for the users of older model devices.

Why would Blackberry choose to kill BIS?
    BIS plans are usually more expensive and less flexible, and most cases the services it provided was only good for enterprise BES services. So why pay more for features you will never use? POP3 emails i could understand but we are in freakin 2013, get with modern times.
    03-24-13 05:46 PM
    Network solutions is an old original registrar. Not sure about hosting and whether they do it themselves. As long as your package includes backup restore.

Well if you don't connect it to a computer and move the mail to offline mail stores you are leaving it on the server. But the advantage if you do is that you can access it from anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    Outlook downloads all of my mail and stores it as I see fit, and so does my current bb. I've never had to connect anything to anything. Point is, with my current setup I am able to chose what is on my bb, my pc, and left on the server.
    ssbtech likes this.
    03-24-13 05:46 PM
    BIS plans are usually more expensive and less flexible, and most cases the services it provided was only good for enterprise BES services. So why pay more for features you will never use? POP3 emails i could understand but we are in freakin 2013, get with modern times.
    BIS has nothing to do with BES.
    03-24-13 05:48 PM
    Outlook downloads all of my mail and stores it as I see fit, and so does my current bb. I've never had to connect anything to anything. Point is, with my current setup I am able to chose what is on my bb, my pc, and left on the server.
    And you will still be able to do that

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 05:57 PM
    And you will still be able to do that

Posted via CB10
    Not according to what you said. If I delete an email on my bb, it's gone correct? Not being a ****, I want to actually know, as do many others.
    03-24-13 06:01 PM
    I remember reading this just recently, you can still have A bis plan with bb10 but you just can't have a "1 feature plan" such as email only or social"fb/bbm/twitter etc without email...you can only get a full bb plan (social+email+web) if you have such a plan everything works just as it would with legacy devices, but with a regular data plan its still as secure its just encrypted on the device and then sent,with bis it was sent to the bis server to encrypt then sent,and bis and bb10 on regular data plan still uses the NOC,

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 06:24 PM
    Never used Hotmail so i have to change the email ihave been using for 20+ years to hotmail well called ( outlook now )
    also just replying to thread someone else started

No BIS,what is the point
    The point is to not be tied into antiquated BlackBerry BIS plans with your carrier. Most BIS plans can't handle the data consumption of modern smartphones or non BB OS7 phones. BIS was a nice service in the days when BlackBerry's browser was so so at best but to have it on the Z10 would only be a disservice.

I know that here in Canada, Canadian carriers are doing away with BIS pervisioned plans, because there is no need for them with data plans that offer up to 6GB per month. What the OP should be complaining about is having to call his carrier to negotiate a new plan, instead of them just automatically assigning a data plan that fits the Z10. Then Mr. Customer, you can decide from there if additional service is needed.

FYI - I've had my Z since February 5th. I've worked in the telecommunications industry for 13 years and have owned a lot of phones in my time. This BlackBerry, fantastic and just a well rounded device for all uses. And that to me, makes for a great phone.

Posted via CB10 using a Z10
    03-24-13 06:28 PM
574 ... 23456 ...