Hi all,

My buddy picked up a new z10 today at rogers. Because he was coming from a 9800 he needed a new aim card. The rep asked if he wanted to pay $2 more for the ncf sim card. Apparently you need this sim card to use the cicb mobile app and other banking apps coming soon. My question is if we don't have this sim card will we not be able to use our nfc to pay for things?

Also we tried to add eachother on BBM using nfc and it would not work. Is this because we both need the same sim card? That wasn't the first time I've used nfc to add a BBM contact but was the first time it would not work.

Thanks.

Posted via CB10 with my Zed 10
    03-23-13 05:29 PM
    Likely the special SIM will continue to be a requirement, yes. It's part of the security spec.

As for not being able to add BBM contacts via NFC, that can be tricky to troubleshoot. For one thing, was NFC active on the "target" device? Also, there's an outside chance that the special SIM to enable payment may have imposed additional security.
    03-23-13 05:32 PM
    I have a Fido LTE SIM, and NFC pairing and such works just fine. I can't test if suretap works, because I'm not with CIBC.
    miketko likes this.
    03-23-13 05:34 PM
    Hmm. Interesting. Well I've used nfc to add BBM before so maybe there is a setting needed to enable

03-23-13 05:37 PM
    Hmm. Interesting. Well I've used nfc to add BBM before so maybe there is a setting needed to enable

Hello, I think there is a misunderstanding here. The Z10 and other NFC phone does not need a special sim card to have NFC work. Example: sharing files, using NFC tags, etc.

BUT if you want to use Rogers implementation of NFC features like using your phone's NFC to buy things that will charge back to your Rogers account or other banking appd, you will need a sim with the label 'Sure tap' at the back of the card.

BTW: a new sim is usually $10, but if you trade in your old Rogers sim, they will give you the new one for free.

BTW2: You shouldn't have to pay extra for the Suretap sim, the sales person gave me the new sim card free when I gave him an odd look when he told me it would be $10. I guess it depends on the store and sales person.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 06:36 PM
    Whoops, double post.
    03-23-13 06:40 PM
    Hello, I think there is a misunderstanding here. The Z10 and other NFC phone does not need a special sim card to have NFC work. Example: sharing files, using NFC tags, etc.

BUT if you want to use Rogers implementation of NFC features like using your phone's NFC to buy things that will charge back to your Rogers account or other banking appd, you will need a sim with the label 'Sure tap' at the back of the card.

BTW: a new sim is usually $10, but if you trade in your old Rogers sim, they will give you the new one for free.

BTW2: You shouldn't have to pay extra for the Suretap sim, the sales person gave me the new sim card free when I gave him an odd look when he told me it would be $10. I guess it depends on the store and sales person.

Posted via CB10
    Ya that's exactly what I was getting at. Ya they charged my friend $12 for the sure tap sim.

03-23-13 11:51 PM
    Got mine for free. After paying all the stupid fees involved with getting the z10, gave a polite look of "You can throw in the sim Card".

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 11:55 PM
    Suretap is not available for the Z10, and from what CIBC says it may not be for some time.
    03-24-13 12:02 AM
    Suretap is not available for the Z10, and from what CIBC says it may not be for some time.
    Then what's this?
    03-24-13 12:04 AM
    Then what's this?
    Still not available though. At least in my Blackberry World
    03-24-13 12:04 AM
    Sure tap will not work without the nfc sim card, and I'm pretty sure all the banking apps will require it. The nfc sim card will only really be needed for nfc banking

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 12:11 AM
    Still not available though. At least in my Blackberry World
    I think that's just CIBC dropping the ball.
    03-24-13 12:12 AM
    I was just about to paste that article.

Basically, Rogers has just approved a bunch of NFC phones including the Z10, that doesn't mean an app has been built yet. But Rogers is pushing "Suretap" as the sim card for a Z10 phone purchase. At least that is what the salesperson stated.

I guess they know that when an app is available, that people are ready with the Suretap sim. So now we wait.
    03-24-13 12:13 AM
    That's weird, when I got my Z10, the Rogers sales rep never mentioned anything about a suretap NFC sim card. They just activated a sim card and threw it in. I don't know what sim card they threw in (and it was free since I was a new activation) but now I'm wondering if I need to go out and purchase another one. I really would like to try the NFC payment when it's available. If I trade in this sim card (assuming I will need to), will I still be charged a full $10?

Also, is there a way to find out what type of sim card you have? Will the suretap NFC sim card show up differently on the phone in settings?
    03-24-13 12:28 AM
    Can't add a pic, but it says not available for my device.

Posted via CB10 on my B@d@ss Z10
    03-24-13 12:45 AM
    Also, is there a way to find out what type of sim card you have? Will the suretap NFC sim card show up differently on the phone in settings?
    On the back of your sim card, it should say "Suretap".

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 01:55 AM

Posted via CB10
    Do you know if we just walk in to a Rogers store with our old Sim card to trade in? I don't see anything on the Rogers site saying I can trade in my old SIM for an NFC one for free...
    03-27-13 02:50 PM
    I get to go through this all in a few days and i know Rogers has the specific nfc SIM cards, does FIDO? The rep I talked to there last was completely clueless.
    03-27-13 03:19 PM
    Do you know if we just walk in to a Rogers store with our old Sim card to trade in? I don't see anything on the Rogers site saying I can trade in my old SIM for an NFC one for free...
    That's what I did, the sales person told me about the sim trade in (has to be a Rogers sim I think). Just make sure you tell them the sim card is for the new blackberry Z10.

When you get handed the sim, just flip to the back to make sure it says Suretap on it.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 03:44 PM
    Whoops, double post.
    03-27-13 03:45 PM
    I get to go through this all in a few days and i know Rogers has the specific nfc SIM cards, does FIDO? The rep I talked to there last was completely clueless.
    According to their site, the only SIM cards that Fido have are Mini, Micro and Nano SIMs. There doesn't seem to be suretap for Fido.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 11:31 PM
    According to their site, the only SIM cards that Fido have are Mini, Micro and Nano SIMs. There doesn't seem to be suretap for Fido.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. Strange I would have though that Rogers would have wanted to have a similar strategy towards this stuff on its, for a lack of a better term, child carriers
    03-27-13 11:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    Mini, Micro and Nano are just the size of the plastic.

Suretap is the technology built into the sim. So in theory, you could have a mini Suretap sim as well as a nano Suretap sim.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 11:50 PM
    You can't trade sim cards, you have to buy the new one, the sure tap sim costs a few dollars more than standard sim

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 08:32 PM
30 12