Can I actually use the NFC on my blackberry to buy anything yet in the US?

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 08:35 PM
    Simple answer..No. Hopefully Apple Pay will jump start it.
    09-19-14 09:47 PM
    Umm well that's a loaded question.. I've used my Z10 to make purchases while traveling in the US, but I'm from Canada, and my bank has an NFC payment app.

I'm assuming you are from the US and have a US bank account and /or US credit cards? The technology is there.. but if your bank hasn't developed an app then YOU cannot.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 09:57 PM
    The answer is yes.
    In Canada at least with Bell mobility + rbc bank.
    Update your banking app first then
    You need to buy an NFC sim card. Then activate the NFC option on your bb10 phone. That is the only way it will work as the Canadian banks wants an added security features for NFC payment that can only be found on the NFC sim card at a carrier store.

If you go on the Bell website they will confirm what I just wrote

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    09-20-14 06:22 AM
    Obviously banks and stores in the US believe that the fraud costs are cheaper than moving to new technology. I have been investigating chip/pin card acquisition (card was compromised a few months back) and they are not easy to acquire and may still be limited in some aspects.

Although, I'm sure that the hackers, scammers will find a way to compromise chip/pin security soon enough.

An article I read last night suggested CASH!!!! Unless your wallet is lost and then you only lose the amount you were carrying.
    09-20-14 10:06 AM
    The answer is yes.
    In Canada at least with Bell mobility + rbc bank.
    Update your banking app first then
    You need to buy an NFC sim card. Then activate the NFC option on your bb10 phone. That is the only way it will work as the Canadian banks wants an added security features for NFC payment that can only be found on the NFC sim card at a carrier store.

If you go on the Bell website they will confirm what I just wrote

Posted via CB10
    Answer is NO as OPs stated in the US. Yes in Canada you are able to use NFC to pay for Coffee and other items but no luck here in the States.
    09-20-14 10:26 AM
    Umm well that's a loaded question.. I've used my Z10 to make purchases while traveling in the US, but I'm from Canada, and my bank has an NFC payment app.

I'm assuming you are from the US and have a US bank account and /or US credit cards? The technology is there.. but if your bank hasn't developed an app then YOU cannot.

Posted via CB10
    I don't mind getting a Canadian bank if they will take my money, but I am staying with Verizon for a carrier. Which banks in Canada have this option? Do I need a special sim card? Can that work with Verizon? I would prefer a bank with a branch in southern BC.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 04:59 AM
    I don't mind getting a Canadian bank if they will take my money, but I am staying with Verizon for a carrier. Which banks in Canada have this option? Do I need a special sim card? Can that work with Verizon? I would prefer a bank with a branch in southern BC.

Posted via CB10
    You need the right combination of Bank and Carrier. The system in Canada uses enhanced security SIM cards to make the process more secure.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 08:13 AM