Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dubber_d
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    363 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default NFC with BlackBerry Music Gateway

This was working fine until a few days ago. I have a BlackBerry Music Gateway in my truck and until the other day, I just had to tap my Z10 to the gateway and NFC took over and made the BT connection. Suddenly, as of a few days ago, when I tap the phone to the gateway, it launches BBM. What the ****? Anyone have any hints?

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    BBInPlay (03-13-2013) 
    CrackBerry Master

open smart tags app and tap the gateway with it open. It should give you information about what it is supposed to launch, worst case you rewrite the NFC tag on the music gateway
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    363 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I opened the smart tags app. No smart tags are listed. Every time I tap the phone to the gateway bbm launches.

I hit "Erase Tag" and it has stopped launching bbm. Now I don't know how to program it to connect to the music gateway as it is supposed to.

When I tap the phone to the gateway it says that the tag is empty and in order to write to it, I need to select and item and choose share-> nfc from the menu? Huh?? What menu where? What item?

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Master

try connecting to the gateway manually with BT, then write a tag to turn on your BT and open the media player when you tap it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    363 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Thanks for your help.

I don't see how I am supposed to write a tag to turn on bluetooth. I actually don't want the tag to turn on bluetooth anyway. Bluetooth is on 24/7. I also don't want the tag to open a media player. Sometimes I use the gateway for slacker, sometimes for Nobex, other times for music player. I just want the tag to tell the phone and the gateway to connect to each other. That's what it used to do...

When I select, create a new tag, from the smart tags app, the choices are pretty limited and the 'other' tab just has a name and a URL. I don't think a URL is going to help me here.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by tbkfan View Post
    Thanks for your help.

I don't see how I am supposed to write a tag to turn on bluetooth. I actually don't want the tag to turn on bluetooth anyway. Bluetooth is on 24/7. I also don't want the tag to open a media player. Sometimes I use the gateway for slacker, sometimes for Nobex, other times for music player. I just want the tag to tell the phone and the gateway to connect to each other. That's what it used to do...

When I select, create a new tag, from the smart tags app, the choices are pretty limited and the 'other' tab just has a name and a URL. I don't think a URL is going to help me here.

Posted via CB10
    Once you have connected the devices together over bluetooth they will automatically connect when both have their BT on. so the NFC tag wouldn't be needed to pair them together once they've been paired initially.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    363 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

That works if the phone and gateway are 'exclusive'. If I sometimes connect other devices, which I do (PlayBook, kids iPods, etc) then it connects to the most recent device in proximity. The nfc feature of the gateway was awesome because it eliminated all manual connection fiddling. Just tap and it boots any other existing connections and goes to the Z10. Sucks that this just decided to quit.

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    BBInPlay (03-13-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Interesting. I also have a gateway in my car. I used nfc to kick off the pairing, but now I just switch car audio to aux and hit play on BlackBerry. I never need to touch the gateway -- its plugged into power and input in my glovebox... haven't looked at in weeks

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    363 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_tor View Post
    Interesting. I also have a gateway in my car. I used nfc to kick off the pairing, but now I just switch car audio to aux and hit play on BlackBerry. I never need to touch the gateway -- its plugged into power and input in my glovebox... haven't looked at in weeks

Posted via CB10
    Right. That would work if you only ever paired one device to the gateway.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

I would reset the gateway by holding the button down for 20 seconds. That will reset it. You may have gone over the limit connection for the device i.e. 6 max I think. Worth a try!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    363 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Resetting it doesn't seem to do anything. Holding the button down for 20 seconds actually doesn't seem to do anything at all...

It would seem to me that this has something to do with the Z10 and not the BlackBerry Music Gateway anyway.

Before things went awry, when I tapped my Z10 to the gateway, a series of things would have transpired on the Z10:

1. It would ensure that BT was turned on and if not it would turn it on.
    2. It would check to see if the gateway was a previously paired device and if not it would pair it.
    3. It would then connect the device to the gateway.

I have to assume that all BlackBerry devices come with this set of instructions preprogrammed since I did absolutely nothing for this to happen. This same procedure worked with my 9900 too before I got the Z10. Out of the box, I plugged in the gateway, tapped my phone and voila, connected. With any non-bb device I would have to manually configure the BT connection.

Things somehow went awry when tapping the Z10 somehow started launching BBM instead of the above preprogrammed steps. Like the original programming got corrupted or something.

Since I don't really know how the whole smart tag thing works, and following suggestions above, I opened the smart tag app on the Z10 (the list of smart tags was completely blank by the way) and tapped the phone to the gateway. I then hit "Delete Tag" deleting the mysterious bbm launching tag.

Several people here have suggested that I should be able to rewrite the tag. I don't see how that is done. When I hit "Create" the options are as follows:

NFC with BlackBerry Music Gateway-img_00000345.png

The only one that seems to suggest anything like what I want to do is "Other" but when I select it I get:

NFC with BlackBerry Music Gateway-img_00000346.png

I don't see how I am supposed to be able to write a set of instructions like what was originally programmed into the Z10 from the get-go.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

I have the same issue with my Z10. NFC on Gateway just stopped working. It was calling up BBM at first, now it just says "no tags"
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    363 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

I kinda wonder if it was the update to 10.85 that rewrote the nfc tag to open bbm instead of connecting to the music gateway.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

I have the same issue a you tbkfan. I've tried my wife's Z10 and my old Bold 9900. Just says no tags. RIM told me to call Rogers so they can open a ticket. WTF?
    CrackBerry User

Sorry to resurrect an almost 3 month old thread but just wondering if you guys had figured out how to re write the Nfc tag to the BlackBerry music gateway. Mine just started the opening BBM nonsense the other day. I am pretty convinced it has nothing to do with the updates as I have installed almost every leak to my z10 that has been available and it only just started happening out of the blue. I have been running this os for quite a while. . Tried with the wife's z10 and an old curve and they all open BBM. Her phone and the curve are running stock os's. I purchased shortcutme this morning but can't get that to write the tag either. Has anyone found the solution? Nfc for connecting is just too darned easy and convenient for my purposes. Thanks everyone!
    CrackBerry User

I am sure this thread is long past dead by now, but I wanted to report that you can now re write the Nfc tag for your BlackBerry gateway with the new 10.2.0.1047 leak that came out. (maybe other 10.2 leaks as well) they have really ramped up the smart tags app built into the OS now. Make sure you have it paired in your bluetooth profile on your phone. Open the app and select create at the bottom. Then select bluetooth and choose your gateway from the list. Then select write to tag and follow the prompts. I just wrote mine this morning and it is working flawlessly so far. I believe you can even lock the tag to the gateway as well. Anyways, just thought I would share this info to anyone interested.

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    ambarmetta (09-18-2013) 
    ambarmetta likes this.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    cer Attack

@dubber_d, this worked to resolve the issue. This should be explored more fully, as even without actual NFC tags you can do a lot with other devices.

I'm experimenting with the Nexus 7 (2013) if I have time tonight, to see what I can do with that, if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Orr View Post
    Once you have connected the devices together over bluetooth they will automatically connect when both have their BT on. so the NFC tag wouldn't be needed to pair them together once they've been paired initially.
    That was a problem I discovered. My z10 paired with the Gateway even if I wanted the "phone" to be the sound-emitting device. Youtube and other things were "silent" when I entered my house since it paired with the Gateway connected to my turned-off receiver. I had to change the setting "automatically pair" (or whatever it is).

If the Z10 has/had a setting for the nfc, is there any place you can see a full list of what "tags" might already be in the device. Looking at Smart-tags, I don't see such a listing unless they are hidden?