I just paid full price for the Z10 (didn't want to lose unlimited data on The Big Red) and enduring some frustrations on set up. I am upgrading from the Torch 9850

First I want to say this phone has more of an Android feel, than BlackBerry

1) Discovered Desktop Manager does not support BlackBerry 10
    2) Followed the procedure to change device by backing up content of my old phone to storage card and importing to Z10. Disappointing, not all software and settings transferred. I have to manually reset ringtones for each of my favorite contacts.
    3) Downloaded BlackBerry Link. I deleted desktop manager. BlackBerry Link launches, then stops working. Frustrated
    4) I cannot set a unique ringtone for each mailbox
    5) My BIS page won't allow me to update to the new phone, although it has been active for 4 hours.
    6) BlackBerry Bridge on my PlayBook is not the same with Z10. It does not mirror email accounts the way it did for my Torch. Now I cannot read/write text messages from my PlayBook
    7) I lost the ability to set up different profiles for alerts. The Torch had many profiles pre set up that I used quite a bit.
    8) No BlackBerry Travel for BB 10 - a great app!
    9) ScoreMobile app has no alerts to push to BB 10 SMS to keep track of my favorite games/teams

Right now I am trying to convince myself this upgrade was worth $600.00 and I am FAILING!
    Last edited by inalambrico; 03-30-13 at 08:05 PM.
    03-30-13 06:07 PM
    Calm down and breathe. Many of things should not be surprises and have been noted in many places. Including cb.com. Starting with 2...

2. It's an entirely different OS. Nothing functions the same. A little bit of time, and you'll have it customized to your liking.

3. We've all had our share of problems with Link but it has been drastically improved since launch. Need more specifics about your "Crash". Search the forums.

4. This feature has been requested. Understood.

5. Again, it's been known that the BlackBerry 10 doesn't use BIS so this is likely your issue.

6. Agreed that PlayBook bridging functionality with the Z is not as good as prior OS. Again, it's a new OS and I'm sure it will get better.

7. Again new OS but for whatever it's worth, this has been requested as well.

Don't want to sound like that person but you cannot compare any part of BlackBerry 10 to the former BlackBerry devices.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 06:38 PM
    You should've research first before buying one. I also bought the Z10 at full price for $689 at GSM Nation because I don't want to sign a new contract with AT&T and I got mine before launch, I did research because I was switching from an iPhone 4S. You a blackberry user should know better that the Z10 works only with the new BB Link. This is another one of those rant thread, tsk tsk tsk.
    03-30-13 06:46 PM
    I am for sure getting a Z10, but need to wait for a couple of features I am not willing to go without. Like USB sync to Outlook and full bridge functions I now have with my 9850. Plus link needs to improve. I simply don't have a day when I can spend hours and hours struggling with transferring my data when it should be a no brainer The Z10 hardware is excellent and the OS will come along pretty fast.
    AStew8 likes this.
    03-30-13 07:10 PM
    I like BlackBerry Link. Despite it not supposed to work with my PlayBook it backs it up and I can sync music to the PlayBook using link. The only thing I can't do is sync the PlayBook over WiFi.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 07:15 PM
    Thanks for your reply, and before anyone else responds with SNARK...I guess for $600 I expected a BlackBerry phone, not an Android with BlackBerry branding. I did read lots of reviews of changes, but not with respect to what I would miss coming from OS 7.

I would also like to add that I REALLY miss the flashing green status light, that changed to red when an incoming message is received.

As for BlackBerry Link, I double click to launch, the black box with the words BlackBerry Link launches, then Windows gives me a message that BlackBerry Link has stopped working. That is all I can tell you.
    03-30-13 07:16 PM
    What operating system are you using? Have you uninstalled Link and reinstalled? Do you know if you're using the latest version of Link?

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 07:41 PM
    For the led color there are a couple of apps in BlackBerry world that let you customize this. Just search for 'led'.

Hope this is of some help.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 07:52 PM
    BB Link 1.0.1.15

Yes, uninstalled and reinstalled Using windows 7 64 bit
    03-30-13 08:08 PM
    I'm running Win 8 and Link is ok however there are people on the forums that have had issues with Win 7&8. Search the forums and I'm sure you'll be able to get it resolved.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 08:11 PM
    "8) No BlackBerry Travel for BB 10 - a great app!"
    BlackBerry Travel is available, I have the app on my Z10... I downloaded it from BlackBerry and it's working just fine, would you by chance be a VERIZON customer? That might be the problem as it is available on AT&T.
    03-30-13 08:14 PM
    Good call, E. Until Verizon releases an updated OS, customers won't be able to access several apps.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 08:16 PM
    Thanks for your reply, and before anyone else responds with SNARK...I guess for $600 I expected a BlackBerry phone, not an Android with BlackBerry branding. I did read lots of reviews of changes, but not with respect to what I would miss coming from OS 7.

I would also like to add that I REALLY miss the flashing green status light, that changed to red when an incoming message is received.

As for BlackBerry Link, I double click to launch, the black box with the words BlackBerry Link launches, then Windows gives me a message that BlackBerry Link has stopped working. That is all I can tell you.
    Ok, agree with your comment about snark, uncalled for - totally and very childish wrist-slapping. I'll see if I can help you here..

BIS isn't supported and not needed with BB10...it's now POP/IMAP and EAS.
    Multiple profile sounds - I would think will be coming in a future update.
    Your BB LInk error, yes, many have issues with it, including me, same as you. Here's what I did to address the issue...

Uninstall the DM and BB LInk, as well as any other not-needed software from your PC. I removed as much as I could, then downloaded and installed the very latest version of BB LInk, released a few days ago (10.0.17 I believe). That took care of that stupid message and BB LInk is now working as it should, for whatever it's worth (not much IMO).

Backing up content to the SD card - no need for this. You simply do a device switch using BB Link. In fact, that's the only way to restore. I would strip everything you absolutely don't need from your old phone, including the e-mail accounts. Then do your device switch, which restores everything from the old phone. Manually add your e-mail accounts and whatever else you need. You should be good to go. BB LInk has very very limited functionality - so don't expect much more than backup/ restore and wireless sync over WiFi. You can't do a selective restore with it yet...so that kind of sucks as well.

Flashing green light from legacy OS...now only red, unless you buy an app for that. Wait it out - it will come one day.

OS 10.1 should offer many enhancements over OS 10 and it's due any day now.

Lastly - just IGNORE the snarky, immature comments you get here. You'll do better ignoring the ignoramuses! The Internet is festering with them these days and a lot of them post here as well.
    03-30-13 08:29 PM
    Good call, E. Until Verizon releases an updated OS, customers won't be able to access several apps.

Posted via CB10
    Ya, we get excluded from it all for now, the last in and the last till the end apparently.
    03-30-13 08:35 PM
    I just paid full price for the Z10 (didn't want to lose unlimited data on The Big Red) and enduring some frustrations on set up. I am upgrading from the Torch 9850

First I want to say this phone has more of an Android feel, than BlackBerry

1) Discovered Desktop Manager does not support BlackBerry 10
    2) Followed the procedure to change device by backing up content of my old phone to storage card and importing to Z10. Disappointing, not all software and settings transferred. I have to manually reset ringtones for each of my favorite contacts.
    3) Downloaded BlackBerry Link. I deleted desktop manager. BlackBerry Link launches, then stops working. Frustrated
    4) I cannot set a unique ringtone for each mailbox
    5) My BIS page won't allow me to update to the new phone, although it has been active for 4 hours.
    6) BlackBerry Bridge on my PlayBook is not the same with Z10. It does not mirror email accounts the way it did for my Torch. Now I cannot read/write text messages from my PlayBook
    7) I lost the ability to set up different profiles for alerts. The Torch had many profiles pre set up that I used quite a bit.
    8) No BlackBerry Travel for BB 10 - a great app!
    9) ScoreMobile app has no alerts to push to BB 10 SMS to keep track of my favorite games/teams

Right now I am trying to convince myself this upgrade was worth $600.00 and I am FAILING!
    Sorry you're having all those issues. I just purchased mine off contract online and hope to receive it soon. I've seen several threads with some of your issues so I've been mentally preparing myself for the temporary (hopefully) lack of some of the features our legacy devices had. I noticed one of your issues was about BB Travel not being available, but I know they just issued a release that made it available in many more areas and that had upgrades people had asked for. I wonder why it's not showing up for you?

BlackBerry Travel updated to v3.0.1.2 - Global support and battery optimizations added | CrackBerry.com
    03-30-13 08:52 PM