Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 159
Like Tree375Likes
  1. --TommesJay--'s Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    769 Posts
    Global Posts
    771 Global Posts
    #51  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilroyneil
    As you know, don't need to use the GMail app on iOS to have email syncing. You can if you want to use GMail labels etc effectively but its not required. I agree that on Android having 2 email clients is a mistake and I dont know why this has never been corrected.
    However, I don't think BB10 offers Push email for anything other than Exhcange/BES now anyway does it? I might be wrong I think its in the same position as iOS and Android, except that if you use Google's products you are better off on iOS or Android as they have better support for those 2 platforms.
    I just know how it works on my PlayBook. I've set up my Hotmail-Acc and it gets pushed instantly, as fast as on my Bold 9900 which is connected via BIS. Hotmail also syncs calendar and contacts (I just don't know how proper PlayBook -> Hotmail sync works though). But anyway, my highest priorities in terms of mail are the following: 1. Push, 2. native, 3. multiple accounts. So under the bottom line for me, good two-way-syncing can't compensate the other shortcomings of iOS and Android.


    Quote Originally Posted by gilroyneil
    Maybe the Q10 will be fast as you could use the keyboard, but the Z10 is as slow/slower to use than an Android running Jelly Bean
    Well, the Xperia T I've used had JB on it. I'm a passionate messenger and task-switcher. As I said, my main problem there was the physical distance between the taskswitcher and the notification center on the one hand (which only gets worse the bigger the screen gets, so any Xperia Z, HTC M7 or Galaxy S4 or Note 2 or 3 won't solve that problem for me) and the trash-crowding of the two. But let's just get into details here. I plug in the USB-cable, I get a message about this in the NC. I unplug it, I get an additional message. I plug in earphones, I get a message, I unplug them, I get a message. An app is downloaded, I get a message, it gets installed, I get a message. Wow. But let's get over to the task switcher. It's sorted by recency, which is good. But the interface and the arrangement? I have this big screen and that thing only shows 4 apps at a time, aligned at the right edge? And even worse: little screenshots with tiny little app-icons hidden on them, everytime I fired up the task switcher I was totally distracted by the screenshots at first glance and it was a bit of a search to make out the app I was looking for. Especially because of this homebutton-paradigm. It led to Google Play and settings menus constantly sitting in there, although I had no more use for them. At the end I was constantly killing the tasks with a swipe every 5 minutes, to keep it focused. It was just totally inconvenient IMO. Because of these points I have a big problem to believe the following:

    Quote Originally Posted by gilroyneil
    switching apps takes longer than on my Nexus 4
    I'm a one handed user. If you really want to **** me off, then engineer a phone both physical and UX-wise that can only be controlled properly two-handed. As I said, the Xperia T has a 4.6" display and hasn't that much bezel. And I have big hands. But that thing almost because of its size alone prevented any flow in use to take over. So what seems to me to be a step forward is BlackBerry 10 shifting the center of the user experience/the homescreen towards multitasking. In my understanding, this makes homescreens with shortcuts and widgets that should be manually customized obsolete. The homescreen automatically adapts as you start using the device. And as there is a limited number of 8 open apps, you don't have to worry about wasting resources and it won't get to a confusing number of apps (2x 4 by 4 is easy to remind what was open and what not). And as the Active Frames are big and have a clear name box attached to them, I assume they're easier to recognize. But 2 more thoughts: As the AF are bigger, they're easier and more convenient to tap. Second thought is that it's faster and easier to do a swipe from an area that is 66 by 9 mm than to tap a little software button which probably sits in a dead angle. But I'll have to find out myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by gilroyneil
    ...is more or less possible on Android.
    Yeah I know and I'd never say otherwiser. That's why Android is the only current established OS out there I would probably consider if BlackBerry goes belly-up.

    Quote Originally Posted by gilroyneil
    I guess I could point out that there are better apps for all of these services/functionalities on other platforms... but I had better not say this on Crackberry.com! (Sorry, I couldn't resist... if you like those Apps then I hope there is a BB10 equivalent for you for all of them).
    Don't mind. I don't need better equivalents to those. The apps I listed that I use on my 9900 all work fast and proper, I just need their functionality and that they're fast and convenient to use. They already do this job on my 9900 and a platform will never catch me based on prettier designed equivalents of those apps.
  2. puffski's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    #52  

    Default

    I have been a blackberry user for years! While waiting for the release of blackberry 10 I did pick up a few android phones! But now I have my z10 and I'm going to keep one of my HTC phones. Just until more apps are available for the z10!
    --Caroline

    Favorite Phones: Bold 9900 & Curve 8900 && NOW THE Z10!!
  3. raysgrumpy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    365 Posts
    Global Posts
    434 Global Posts
    #53  

    Default Re: New switcher. Switching back. My thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by sandmanfvr View Post
    I wasn't going to post in here, but see your point is an issue (NO offense to you). Android is SO fragmented, unless one buys a nexus, you don't get the latest android; and nexus phones lack things such as SD expansion and usually the hardware is not the best. Plus if you check online, it was just shown on Engadget there is still 45% of android UNDER 4.x version! So many buy these phones, non geeks, and the latest and greatest android is not available as phone makers will or will update android; my Motorola photon 4g (which Google bought Motorola) is stuck at android 2.3.5 and Google locked the boot loader. So thanks to google, I am stuck and I will NOT spend money on a nexus 4 to be locked into 16 gigs of storage. So no offense to some, but android is so broken up, not everybody gets the good stuff.

    I have also used smartphone os's like android 1.5 to 4.2, webos since it started, blackberry up to 7.0, windows phone 7 and 7.5, and ios from like 4.0 till current and I don't see how many can say an ergonomic os like webos of the past and bb10 now, is not as smooth as ios and android now. Opinion are opinions and I respect that, but when people say "I own all these phones" I really start to question the validity of claims when false info is abound.
    I'm curious as to what % of BlackBerry phones are running an OS that is at least 2 years old, as well. My Nexus 4 does have top of the line hardware, by the way. The fragmentation argument always makes me laugh. How many of the millions of older Blackberries are going to get "the good stuff?" The lack of sd card made me a little nervous at first. With the cloud becoming a bigger and bigger part of mobile computing, I haven't had any issues with storage. A lot of people have tablets and mp3 players as well as simply streaming most things they need.
    BergerKing and Rickroller like this.
  4. --TommesJay--'s Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    769 Posts
    Global Posts
    771 Global Posts
    #54  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdhooghe View Post
    There is a LOT of misconceptions in here. Please use the latest iPhone and a latest Android device in depth before you make comments like this. Please.
    I'm going to quote myself here.

    Quote Originally Posted by --Tommes--
    I've tried a 4.6" Sony Xperia T. Its handling was terrible. Notification center and taskmanager were constantly filled with trash I don't needed, the distance between both (my most used actions: checking the notification center and switching tasks) was horrible and a pain in the ***. Either I had to hold the phone in a way that the notification center was conveniently in reach, while the task manager was sitting in a dead angle for my thumb, or it was the other way around. And 4.6" is already small in the Android space by now.
    This issue alone destroys and disqualifies each and every Android for me, more to come as they'll get even bigger. Mid-class-phones aren't an option for me. No need for in-depth-diving there. And as for the iPhone...c'mon. Never. I just hate that thing. For me the iPhone has very high quality, but with its closed down system and it's glossy 'I-am-just-an-app-launcher' behavior and stupidity it has nothing to do with a smartphone or mobile computing by my very own definition. Just an example. I can't even send a document from the native email-client with that thing, as it doesn't have a file browser. You'll probably say 'there's an app for that', but I do not want an app for functionality that has to be native.
    BergerKing likes this.
  5. dbmalloy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,541 Posts
    #55  

    Default

    First... hats off the OP for prefacing the comments... this is what distinquishes posts like this from garden variety trolling.... problem is as with oppinion peices it is only a reflection of the users experience... There are very few actual facts covered in any of these pieces..... I have an Ipad and have used an Iphones extensively in my work.... I could easily actually write an article with the opposite oppinion and make the same points in reverse... my point being is the what is the point of the exercise when it actually doesn't get you anywhere.... in the final analsys it will be sales that determine the fate of BB10.... Finally what has alway interested me with the "switchers" of any device never seem to use it for very long before "giving up" on it.... Many times I think they just do this to re-enforce their view of their original choice...
    cman5 likes this.
  6. Rickroller's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,447 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund
    #56  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by --Tommes-- View Post
    Well, the Xperia T I've used had JB on it. I'm a passionate messenger and task-switcher. As I said, my main problem there was the physical distance between the taskswitcher and the notification center on the one hand (which only gets worse the bigger the screen gets, so any Xperia Z, HTC M7 or Galaxy S4 or Note 2 or 3 won't solve that problem for me) and the trash-crowding of the two. But let's just get into details here. I plug in the USB-cable, I get a message about this in the NC. I unplug it, I get an additional message. I plug in earphones, I get a message, I unplug them, I get a message. An app is downloaded, I get a message, it gets installed, I get a message. Wow. But let's get over to the task switcher. It's sorted by recency, which is good. But the interface and the arrangement? I have this big screen and that thing only shows 4 apps at a time, aligned at the right edge? And even worse: little screenshots with tiny little app-icons hidden on them, everytime I fired up the task switcher I was totally distracted by the screenshots at first glance and it was a bit of a search to make out the app I was looking for. Especially because of this homebutton-paradigm. It led to Google Play and settings menus constantly sitting in there, although I had no more use for them. At the end I was constantly killing the tasks with a swipe every 5 minutes, to keep it focused. It was just totally inconvenient IMO. Because of these points I have a big problem to believe the following:
    Just to clarify a few things:
    The task switcher DOES show more than 4 apps with Android. Mine is currently showing 10 (you just need to scroll up or down thru them), and I know it can go alot higher than that. As for your points about having to "reach" for certain buttons, while I can understand this can be an inconvenience, all that can be easily rectified with a Launcher (no root necessary). I can (with one swipe) bring down my Notification bar, and with a double tap, I can access all my Profile settings (such as Wifi, Hotspot, Airplane mode, GPS, BT etc). If I wanted, I could assign a gesture in order to bring up my Task Switcher as well(and with certain ROMs you can actually re-arrange your buttons to your liking), and while in the Task Switcher, the arrangements are very similiar to that of BB10's Active Frames. My current app is on the bottom, and the most recent used one is right above it. If I select another one from the Task Switcher, the arrangement then reorganizes accordingly.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
    raysgrumpy likes this.
  7. raorth's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    399 Posts
    Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    #57  

    Default

    I for one appreciate the OP's post. As I am sitting on the fence about getting the Z10 when it is available in the US and have been actively reading ALL opinions, comments, concerns, accolades etc. I currently use an iphone5 which I switched to about 1 year ago. Prior to that an android user and prior to that a diehard BB user. Would love to go back to using a BB but do have concerns at this time related to email functionality as well as other issues many people have commented on.

    Not sure why everyone feels the need to bash another poster for posting their opinions, I think they help a lot of people in determining which avenue to go. I for one am still undecided but have time since it is not yet available and then will decide whether to purchase or wait.
    Thanked by:
    Bakamushi (02-08-2013) 
  8. RubberChicken76's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,044 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,047 Global Posts
    #58  

    Default

    Potent feedback and many of it valid.

    You'd probably get flamed less if you didn't act as though your opinions were 'facts'. A lot of posters have that issue and it is pretty good at starting fights ...
    ------------------------------------
    I like how BlackBerry 10 is evolving, but when are they going to fix BlackBerry Link for Mac?

    The fact that it doesn't reliably do what it's supposed to do ... most of the time ... is utterly appalling. The only consistency is the "Music not copied to Z10 message"
    elGuapoTorres likes this.
  9. chammer101's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    77 Posts
    #59  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 16698624 View Post
    Lol, I stop reading until the op claim the browser is only about as fast as I phone5, if you are not trolling then you must be blind
    I agreed, valid response until I read the same thing, the browser on Android and Iphone are not even in the same class as BB10 browser it's crazy fast.
    SDTRMG and cman5 like this.
  10. BergerKing's Avatar

    Posts
    29,824 Posts
    Global Posts
    31,007 Global Posts
    PIN
    In Semi-retirement
    #60  

    Default

    I can see many of the points made. BB 10 is a move in the right direction, but the journey has just begun. And by no means is seven days eblnough to really get a complete run, as a lot of changes are bound to improve the experience as the ecosystem evolves. Nice write-up.
    Report Button, not just for the bad things!
    Devices: SPH-A620/VGA 1000, Sanyo Katana, BlackBerry 8330, 9630, 9670, MB855 Photon, SPH-L710 Galaxy SIII. SPH-L720 Galaxy S4
    Bacon is duct tape for food!
    Fatz_z and Rickroller like this.
  11. cgk
    cgk is online now
    cgk's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,724 Global Posts
    #61  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    Potent feedback and many of it valid.

    You'd probably get flamed less if you didn't act as though your opinions were 'facts'. A lot of posters have that issue and it is pretty good at starting fights ...
    Are people so simple-minded that they need that explicitly spelling out in every line?
  12. len5's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    #62  

    Default

    Many valid points. Hence the reason I try NEVER to get a device or new OS until rev.2 comes out. I just don't like being a beta tester so much.
  13. RubberChicken76's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,044 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,047 Global Posts
    #63  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    Are people so simple-minded that they need that explicitly spelling out in every line?
    No, but I've been on forums for 20+ years. And almost every time a fight breaks out on a forum, it's because of this. When someone says, "I didn't like device X because of ____", discussions happen. If someone says "Device X sucks!!!", the fights break out. :-) Same idea, different delivery. One less apt to push buttons
    ------------------------------------
    I like how BlackBerry 10 is evolving, but when are they going to fix BlackBerry Link for Mac?

    The fact that it doesn't reliably do what it's supposed to do ... most of the time ... is utterly appalling. The only consistency is the "Music not copied to Z10 message"
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
  14. RubberChicken76's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,044 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,047 Global Posts
    #64  

    Default

    For info, I own a iPhone 5 and a Google Nexus 4 and I enjoy technology and phones. In the last 4 months I have also owned a Note 2 and a Lumia 920.
    This puts you ahead of many on this forum and also other forums. :-)

    1. The device itself is fine. Nothing great. Its not as nice as an iPhone (its more plasticy and weighs more) but probably on par with the Nexus 4.
    This is pretty subjective. I personally like the look of it. But I'm also tired of the look of the iPhone 4/4S/5 myself. Do wish I could get the red Z10 though.

    2. The camera is OK. Nothing more. Not as good as the iPhone or a Note 2 I had before, but better than the Nexus 4.
    I liked the software when I tried it yesterday, though the low light thing bothered me. Enjoyed the time shift as a differentiator.

    6. The Gesture UI is fine but no more convenient than a home button. In fact, I think its easier to press a home button than make the same gesture over and over and over
    See - I hate the home button. Two reasons. One my iPod touch, it's really slow. The device isn't up to snuff in terms of app switching under the hood and pressing the button just slows the device down. My home button has had to be replaced too. Would rather not touch it all the time.


    7. Apps... wow. If you are used to IOS or Android be prepared for a shock, the situation on BB10 is worse than Windows Phone. The apps, by and large, are terrible or simply links to web pages.
    Without trying all 70,000 apps, let's not assume this. Agree with the concern that there's lots of junk and agree that key apps are missing. Just hate people making sweeping statements like "the entire store is by and large terrible".

    8. Browser is OK. About the same as iPhone or Android. But 1 annoying bug prevents me from using it - you can change the Search provider but only to Google.com and not google.co.uk so most of the search results are less relevant to me.
    This surprises me, given RIM's international presence. Hopefully a software update is coming

    9. BB Link on my Mac is OK. But it screws up the iTunes metadata for videos, and cannot group by metadata so ALL Movies and TV Shows are lumped together in a list. Rubbish.
    Hehehehehe. When it comes to metadata, I never know where the fault lies exactly. For example, I have album art on most of my songs. Depending on what device I'm viewing it on (Mac, iPod, Apple TV or PlayBook), the art that appears will vary. Sometimes it shows or doesn't. And sometimes the wrong cover art will appear on a song.

    The fact that discrepencies happen between Apple products even (art will appear on my Mac but not my Apple TV), suggests that Apple themselves has issues to sort out. :-)


    11. Battery Life. To be fair I haven't owned it for very long (I need to return it within 7 days) but its not good. About as good as the Nexus 4 - i.e. Poor - and nowhere near the battery life of the iPhone 5.
    What were you getting as a daytime average? The reviews on this are all over the map (some say "good", some say "OK", some say "bad".) Curious to hear if it improves as well.
    12. Email is worse on the BB than it is on iPhone and Android.
    That sounds like a specific defect with your specific email. Again, making a sweeping statement. I hate iPhones email because the damn home button is above the trash. I switch out and delete emails all the time. But there's plenty I like and plenty I miss about my old BlackBerry too.

    13. BBM is useless to new converts as chances are they wont know anyone else with a BB.
    Maybe. But you can also text in it (and prevent people from sending you texts if you don't want), do group chat, video chat etc. But I know plenty of people with BlackBerrys still. There are 79 million out there. ;-)

    Some of this can be fixed easily, some cannot.

    My honest advice is this: in 2013 with a new iPhone about 6 months away and the new generation of 1080p Androids weeks away
    Can you see 1080p on a 4" screen?
    ------------------------------------
    I like how BlackBerry 10 is evolving, but when are they going to fix BlackBerry Link for Mac?

    The fact that it doesn't reliably do what it's supposed to do ... most of the time ... is utterly appalling. The only consistency is the "Music not copied to Z10 message"
    Thanked by 2:
    SDTRMG (02-08-2013),  xiaohuaxing (02-08-2013) 
    xiaohuaxing, SDTRMG and cman5 like this.
  15. DaNii1985's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    331 Posts
    PIN
    Why would you like to add 26 years old guy?
    #65  

    Default

    WOW this thread started interesting but is now filled with SO MUCH information that I cannot handle it LOL. I just tried to read it but nah man, not my piece of cake anymore. However, I am still sticking to my Z10
    Nokia 3310> Nokia 8210> Nokia 1110> Nokia 7610> Nokia N95> iPhone 3G> Nokia N900> Blackberry 9700> Blackberry 9900 White> Blackberry Z10

    I believed in Blackberry Z10 and now a proud owner of it

    For all those people who try to talk about how good their phone or OS is, listen, if they were so 'amazing' then I would have left BB long ago and CB would be dead by now. Point is not that I believe I made the best choice among all available phones but I made a choice which serves me best!!!
  16. BergerKing's Avatar

    Posts
    29,824 Posts
    Global Posts
    31,007 Global Posts
    PIN
    In Semi-retirement
    #66  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lenn5 View Post
    Many valid points. Hence the reason I try NEVER to get a device or new OS until rev.2 comes out. I just don't like being a beta tester so much.
    However, Beta testers are a necessary part of any ecosystem. That's how we get experts on a system.
    Report Button, not just for the bad things!
    Devices: SPH-A620/VGA 1000, Sanyo Katana, BlackBerry 8330, 9630, 9670, MB855 Photon, SPH-L710 Galaxy SIII. SPH-L720 Galaxy S4
    Bacon is duct tape for food!
  17. asherwiin's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    546 Posts
    #67  

    Default

    3-the home button is just something you are use to, but if you see every future tech, even in movies, it's all going to be about gestures, imagine a big window (glass) that you can interact with, wouldn't it look really weird if it has a button in the middle ??? the home button is gonna get obsolete before you know it.

    That observation pretty much sums it up... the home button is dead, long live the swipe!! :-)
  18. Italiannyc's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #68  

    Default

    The Awkward moment when my GS2 running ICS and soon to be jellybean is almost 2 years old and is on par with the Z10
  19. DaNii1985's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    331 Posts
    PIN
    Why would you like to add 26 years old guy?
    #69  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Italiannyc View Post
    The Awkward moment when my GS2 running ICS and soon to be jellybean is almost 2 years old and is on par with the Z10
    The awkward moment when you sick of awkward moment jokes on FB and found one on CrackBerry
    Nokia 3310> Nokia 8210> Nokia 1110> Nokia 7610> Nokia N95> iPhone 3G> Nokia N900> Blackberry 9700> Blackberry 9900 White> Blackberry Z10

    I believed in Blackberry Z10 and now a proud owner of it

    For all those people who try to talk about how good their phone or OS is, listen, if they were so 'amazing' then I would have left BB long ago and CB would be dead by now. Point is not that I believe I made the best choice among all available phones but I made a choice which serves me best!!!
    almyty and SDTRMG like this.
  20. gilroyneil's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #70  

    Default

    This has been a really great forum thread.

    Some of the criticism has fallen into 4 main categories:

    1. I didn't use the device long enough, or missed a detail (e.g. the web browser speed). Maybe this is true - I did not use the device for long. But I used it exactly long enough to realise that it doesn't let me do what I want to do on a smartphone. By the way, if the web browser is quicker I *promise* you that you wont notice it on a decent connection.
    2. That the BB "speed of use" and efficiency is more important than eco-systems/apps. To this, all I can say is - try a Z10. Its a touch based interface with no keyboard shortcuts. Below the thin gesture UI its just a square icon OS like iOS and Android. The gestures are (in my estimation) no more efficient than button presses but perhaps this could be improved in software more easily than a OS which relies on physical buttons...maybe.
    3. Apps dont matter. They do, to a great many people. And I don't mean having 100,000 games, I mean having apps which are available on other platforms which people expect like YouTube, Netflix and so on. There is probably a top 50 apps which you need to attract iOS and Android users in volume and BB10 doesn't have them.
    4. Its a v1.0 operating system. Yes - I agree, and for a v1.0 its actually rather good. But BB have held a fairly solid user base set against large smartphone growth. If they want to expand, they need to address the competition. BB10 is not a "point release" away from iOS and Android, its at least 1 major version away from them (e.g. BB11) and probably a several more in reality.

    More generally, I think the "war" is not about phones and apps, its about eco-systems and this is where BB is at a disadvantage. People buy an iPhone for the apps but they may keep it for iCloud and iTunes. People buy a Android for the price/performance/unique form factor but they may stay for the Google services and apps and/or manufacturer OS skins. To a lesser extent people buy Windows Phone because they use a Windows PC and/or outlook.com. BB doesn't have any of this, and sadly this is why they will ultimately struggle. What is the value add that would allow BB to expand beyond the current user base? I hope they find an answer.
    Thanked by:
    richardat (02-07-2013) 
  21. bitek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,311 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts
    #71  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilroyneil View Post
    Hi,

    I dont want to be a troll or annoy anyone, but I guess that there are people reading this forum who are iOS/Android owners considering a switch to BB10 and the Z10. I want to post my thoughts on why the Z10 is not competitive for those people to read. If you are a staunch BB supporter you will probably think I am an ***** or just plain wrong.

    For info, I own a iPhone 5 and a Google Nexus 4 and I enjoy technology and phones. In the last 4 months I have also owned a Note 2 and a Lumia 920.
    you do own / owned many phones. most people just own one phone and do not "enjoy" technology. they just want a phone

    1. The device itself is fine. Nothing great. Its not as nice as an iPhone (its more plasticy and weighs more) but probably on par with the Nexus 4.
    100% personal opinion. i did play with iphone 5 and i do not see what is such a big deal about it. looks like any other iphone. same old, same old with bigger screen. one thing is certain. z10 feels awesome in hand.
    2. The camera is OK. Nothing more. Not as good as the iPhone or a Note 2 I had before, but better than the Nexus 4.
    so camera is good then.

    3. The screen is nice but not as bright as the iPhone. About the same as the Nexus 4.
    i find z10 sceen perfect and i am happy it is not too bright. it is perfect combination of sharpness, color saturation and brightness. I keep my brightness at 50% and i find it perfect. who cares that iphone has brighter screen.
    4. The Hub is nothing more than a glorified Notification Center with a sloppy UI. The paradigm of having all notifications mixed together is... different.. and for me it neither wins nor loses. I personally prefer pulling down from top of screen on Android or IOS but its roughtly similar.
    glorified or not neither ios nor android has it like that. blackberry always been about communication and messaging and this is the best solution for busy people.

    5. Evernote integration in Remember is pathetic. Useless. Doesn't sync back to regular Evernote clients and the only view is alphabetical. UPDATE - after a reboot, the notes did sync back to Evernote. Still there is no rich text editing/sorting but its not *as* bad as I first thought.
    i have not played with it.
    6. The Gesture UI is fine but no more convenient than a home button. In fact, I think its easier to press a home button than make the same gesture over and over and over
    another example of "objectivity"... not

    wow, how gestures are not more convenient are just beyond me. gestures are more advanced, require less steps in between. for ios you always have to go back to the button. no true multitasking. button on ios is so 5 years ago.


    7. Apps... wow. If you are used to IOS or Android be prepared for a shock, the situation on BB10 is worse than Windows Phone. The apps, by and large, are terrible or simply links to web pages. There is no Youtube app, no BBC iPlayer, no Spotify, no decent Podcast app (Podcasts is not a decent app), no Evernote, no Skype, no TeamViewer. And so on. What apps there are are v1.0 apps like the first batches of Windows Phone 8 apps. This will improve but if you compare to iOS or Android its another world and simply years behind.
    how many apps were launched with ios ? the thing is many top developers are committed to bb10 and the apps will come. so i can wait

    8. Browser is OK. About the same as iPhone or Android. But 1 annoying bug prevents me from using it - you can change the Search provider but only to Google.com and not google.co.uk so most of the search results are less relevant to me.
    i could find you many reviews that differ with your assessment. again guys from bgr would agree with you though.

    9. BB Link on my Mac is OK. But it screws up the iTunes metadata for videos, and cannot group by metadata so ALL Movies and TV Shows are lumped together in a list. Rubbish.
    maybe itunes needs so updating.

    12. Email is worse on the BB than it is on iPhone and Android. I have 2 Google EAS accounts. I set both up as EAS accounts on the BB. Emails arrive more or less same time as other devices but when you read them on the BB, it isnt sending back the "READ" command to the server so the messages will appear as Unread on all other devices. What an annoying bug.
    i have 3 emails set up. two are gmail accounts. all work great. i do not know what you are talking about.
    13. BBM is useless to new converts as chances are they wont know anyone else with a BB.
    that is why you will be getting whatsup.and why would they do not anyone with blackberry ? what happened to all 80mil subscribers ? did they vanish ?

    14. Notifications arrive very slowly (e.g. Twitter mentions etc).
    like one hudreds of a second slower ? mine works great.

    I have many more complaints too, but i think I will stop there.
    Some of this can be fixed easily, some cannot.

    My honest advice is this: in 2013 with a new iPhone about 6 months away and the new generation of 1080p Androids weeks away, this phone feels out of place. It should have been released in this state 2 years ago around iOS 4 and Gingerbread/Honeycomb. Thats what if could actually compete against. but against Jelly Bean and iOS 6 and the hardware on offer, its not good enough.
    no comments because no comment would be good for this.

    and there is nothing you like about bb10. only more complaints. my complaint with your so called "objective" review is that you fail to point any positives such as

    full multitasking, powerful qnx under the hood, built in flash and so on and so on and so on, easy way of sideloading apps etc. etc. etc.

    bgr crew would be proud of you.

    the thing is that for someone to use your "review" in any meaningful way he would need to have positives and negatives to consider. trade offs of staying vs swtiching to this new platform. yours has none.

    here are some reasons for ios / android people to switch to bb10

    ios


    1. it is all enclosed and too much controlled by apple
    2. because home button is not cool anymore
    3. because all iphones look exactly the same and it is hard to tell if it is iphone 1 or iphone 5
    4. because iphone has no flash
    5. because iphone has no multitasking
    6. because ios does not have all messages in one place.
    7. because ios browser is not the best and it has never been.
    8. because it is likely that iphone 6 will look like iphone 5 and iphone 7 will look like iphone 6 etc. borring. Sorry but true innovator is dead and it is unlikely that apple will come out with anything revolutionary any time soon.



    Android

    1. it is too fragmented
    2. because lot of apps do not want work properly on certain phones
    3. because lot of apps do not work at all on certain phones
    4. because ios "control bar" takes away from space on the screen and space is everything on small screen
    5. becauus newest android os does not support flash
    6. because security on android is of huge concernes
    7. because android is heaven for malware
    8. because android has no true multitasking
    9. because a lot of things done on android are just awkward
    MyHomeSpace.ca and MyCondoSpace.ca
    Thanked by 6:
    AndreyLepher (02-07-2013),  bigbbrybeliever (02-17-2013),  cman5 (02-08-2013),  elGuapoTorres (02-17-2013),  SDTRMG (02-08-2013),  sk8er_tor (02-07-2013) 
  22. sk8er_tor's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,330 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,332 Global Posts
    #72  

    Default

    You mean to tell me there are only bad things with your experience? You don't even list ONE good thing? Why did you even buy a Z10? You complain about the Hub and the UI yet there's been hundreds of demo videos to show you how the hub worked and yet you still bought one.

    And then you complain about apps, which again makes you look like you made an uneducated purchase. Anyone who knows something about technology knows BB10 is a new OS and the apps are still coming. How can anyone who claims to know about tech complain about apps? That's like telling us the sky is blue.... we know that!

    You lost me when you said you find the home button just as convenient as gestures. Sounds to me like the iPhone is perfect for you. I have no idea why you wasted BlackBerry's money by buying a phone knowing full well you were going to return it.

    I'm sorry but if someone wants to come on here to talk about their experience, at least complain about things that weren't well known and documented.
    Thanked by:
    bigbbrybeliever (02-17-2013) 
  23. Justthecrack's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    204 Posts
    #73  

    Default

    Outside of the app selection, which the world knows about as a legitimate shortcoming for Blackberry, I'd like to know exactly how is pulling down from the top of the phone (in Android's case a big *** phone) in any way better than just swiping to the right from anywhere on the screen like on BB? From what I understand you can also customize the hub to the point where everything can be seperate if that is what you're used to.

    I'm glad you posted as a supposed non-fanboy, but it seems these types of posts get liked far too easily. I am currently not under any contract so I can go out and get any phone with any carrier I want. However, OP's "gripes" about the Z10 failed to make me want to take a serious look at Android or ios. I am also not interested in large 4.5"+ 1080p screens. Many consumers do NOT like large overly phones and 1080p means nothing on a 32 inch screen, so why in the world is it needed on 5 outside of being a gimmick?
    Thanked by:
    bigbbrybeliever (02-17-2013) 
  24. AndreyLepher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    505 Posts
    #74  

    Default

    I dont want To be A Troll Ahan Ahan
    CrackBerry User
    Posts15 Posts <<<< I see ....... it

    If i came Here to talk Why Android And IOS sucks I will Stay here Till Tomorrow !!! seriously dont want To start an fight ... just sayin
    SDTRMG likes this.
  25. mapsonburt's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    374 Posts
    #75  

    Default

    When are people going to realize to stop posting to these people threads with fewer than 5 posts? They are setup to make the newbies come in here look like everyone hates the Z10 and nothing but. Best thing you can do is ignore them - but if you look at the top threads they are all full of people responding to these types of posts. These threads deserve one response... "so sad you didn't see the value in the platform. Enjoy your new one". Done.
    Thanked by 2:
    bitek (02-08-2013),  Desktoper (02-08-2013) 
    Desktoper and bigbbrybeliever like this.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New 9700! Switching over my apps (on Mac)?
    By hellokaity in forum Mac Users
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-17-2010, 10:39 AM
  2. New 9700! Switching over my apps (on Mac)?
    By hellokaity in forum BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-17-2010, 10:39 AM
  3. New problem from switching over my blackberry
    By sr5runner in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 11:47 AM
  4. New Os 4.5 – My Thoughts
    By cellinator in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-23-2008, 01:07 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2008, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions