I'm apparently one of those rare ones who uses his phone mostly for phone calls. It seems most people nowadays are more into apps, the Internet, etc. Even BB's own demos on their website say nothing about phone call functionality.

I'm trying to talk myself into leaving my 9900 (which I love) for the Z10, but I'll regret it if it lets me down phone call-wise. In particular....

What are the fewest keystrokes to speeddial someone? With my 9900's keyboard, it's one keystroke.

Will my cheek regularly accidentally activate mute and other commands, when holding he phone with my cheek and shoulder?

Can I easily navigate to contacts and email while still on a call?

Is the speakerphone good quality?

Any other phone-calling input, good or bad? I'd like to get the Z10 for the bigger screen, but if it lets me down phone call-wise, I'll be miserable.
    04-25-13 11:22 PM
    I'm apparently one of those rare ones who uses his phone mostly for phone calls. It seems most people nowadays are more into apps, the Internet, etc. Even BB's own demos on their website say nothing about phone call functionality.

I'm trying to talk myself into leaving my 9900 (which I love) for the Z10, but I'll regret it if it lets me down phone call-wise. In particular....

What are the fewest keystrokes to speeddial someone? With my 9900's keyboard, it's one keystroke.

Will my cheek regularly accidentally activate mute and other commands, when holding he phone with my cheek and shoulder?

Any other phone-calling input, good or bad? I'd like to get the Z10 for the bigger screen, but if it lets me down phone call-wise, I'll be miserable.
    Go with the Q10 it'll serve you better and be an easier transition with an actual keyboard. Both devices are amazing for call quality. They both support HD Voice calling, so long as it works on your network. Speakerphone works great use it almost every day. While in a call the ability to do other things is retardely insanely good. No need to worry about accidentally hitting anything on the screen as the proximity sensor will detect your face to the phone and lock the screen. To speed dial its as simple as setting your contact as a favorite and clicking on their picture from the phone application
    04-25-13 11:45 PM

One with the Q10, two with the Z10 (you have to tap the phone luncher and then the number hotkey).

The proximity sensor works. No need to worry about this.

BlackBerry is very good at multitasking. That has not changed. Swipe up and go into whateve app you need to.

I find it to be quite good. Better than my 9780's.

The Z10 only allows for hotkeys on they numeric keyboard, so if you had a lot of hotkeys for contacts, you may miss that. I too make calls on my Z10 (crazy I know!), it was one of the first things I tested. It's easy to go in and out of calls and it is almost ridiculously simple to put people on hold and have conference calls.

The big screen is great and roomy. Keyboard is good too. Coming from a 9780 I feel the loss of keyboard realstate, but I can type pretty much as fast as. But if you must have a keyboard, the Q10 is the way to go.
    04-25-13 11:52 PM
    I almost exclusively use speaker phone and no one seems to notice. But I have a habit of supporting the phone with my pinkie on the bottom which covers the mic and they notice something is up then. Otherwise I've had no problem.

I also use Bower & Wilkins headphones/headset and I asked my friends how I sounded and they were all like what are you talking about. No one knew I was using a headset.

Posted via CB10
    cbzeduser likes this.
    04-26-13 12:06 AM
    I'm that type of person as well that still cares that my communication device work as a communication device, first, which is reason I mostly stick with Motorola and Blackberry.

Speed dial on the dial pad using the number keys is now replaced by speed dial icons and moved to the call list in the Dial pad. Not too fond of it, as the size of each icon is too big and take up a lot of room when adding too many people to speed dial. I'm thus limited to 3 for the sake of saving space, although the most that can be added is 9 I believe. I also prefer having the dial pad as default and am left needing to go to another screen just to speed dial. Slightly less efficient for me, but not too bad. 1 keystroke to open dial pad and, currently, depending on which screen was used last, either 1 additional keystroke or 2.

The phone now uses the motion sensor to determine when the phone is raised to your face when making calls and locks the screen. Haven't had any accidental key presses yet, where I did frequently on the Storm 2, so this feature works pretty good.

The phone does a pretty good job navigating between contacts and email while on the phone. This is one of the area where this phone and OS excels.

Have no issues or speaker phone, which is an area where BB and Motorola products are generally good in, as good communication makers.No little issues come up, such as fuzzy calls, static, background noise, or break ups, on either speaker or mic.Actually, there were times on the S2 where the person on the other end woudl mention that there were points of broken silience, on calls. Hasn't happened yet on the Z10.

For a phone guy, this is one of the phones I would recommend.
    04-26-13 12:10 AM