CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Need to choose a data plan/data usage

Hello, everyone!

So I'm still thinking about the Z10 and I need to change my phone rather quickly now (my Torch's battery is nearly dead now). My carrier changed all their data plans, so I'm encouraged to choose another one if I buy a phone, and I don't know which one to choose (4G network, 2Go or 4 Go).
    I tried a search on the forum and I actually found out that there is a very big problem about Z10 excessively using huge amounts of data. I must admit it scares me, what's your experience? Is it fixed already? Will it be fixed soon by BB? I don't want to pay extra 20 euro every month for something that will maybe be fixed (the difference betweet the 2Go and 4Go plan), I don't want to pay that much at all actually. I need to choose a phone and my data plan today or tomorrow (my Torch is really dying) and I don't know what to do anymore...

I don' watch TV on my phone, I watch YouTube rarely, I don't have any dropbox, Deezer or Evernote, BUT I want my emails and notifications in real time (not every 15 minutes), I use the Internet browser heavily, social network and news apps, almost all the time. On my Torch it is currently like 800 Mo/a month, I definitely do not want to spend 800 mo/a day.

Is everything as bad as that?

My data usage with the Z10 has gone up three fold at least. I've always had a 4GB data plan that I never even came close too. Now I use about 2GB of that per month.
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.2.1.2947 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947
  3. FBA
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,070 Global Posts

It doesn't use any more data than any other so-called "smartphone", but in comparison to BB legacy (BIS/BES) devices, easily 5-8 times more. Using WiFi will mitigate mobile network data overages.
    Z10
    Steve - Besadmin
    CrackBerry Abuser

If you are paranoid about background data usage, turn off the LTE. Data consumption is significantly reduced if restricted to 2G/3G.

If not, just connect to wifi whenever possible. Mobile data will turn off if the phone is able to connect to the internet over wifi, so not a single byte of mobile data will be consumed until the wifi disconnects.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts

I thought the data usage was pretty good. I have pay as you go data. And I haven't hit 3 GB yet and I'm almost at the end of my bill period. And I use data all the time.

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    magutwit (03-09-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

I suggest going with 'normal' 3G internet, but: This depends on your specific carrier. I'll explain:

Some carriers provide a stable 3G connection that you can use without any interruptions. Mine for example times out sometimes which is annoying because every few minutes a webpage will show as blank and take 30 seconds to load, then it is back to normal. If that is the case with your carrier you will be better off with LTE if it works more stable (which usually is the case).

But if the 3G connection is stable you can use it for surfing the web just fine. Something around 8Mbit/s is quite good for surfing the web on a phone. It depends on the price for LTE though, if it is not much higher you could go with LTE even though you don't really need it.

For traffic limitations, if any: At least 1GB. One GB for using the browser heavily is fine. To be on the safe side and if it is not much more expensive I suggest going with 2GB.

For rare events like big software updates or a 100MB application you can always change to the WLAN connection... you have to calculate that into the traffic if you do not use WLAN at all. For the amount of updates the Z10 is seeing right now it could very well use 500MB or more per month, just for those updates.

This post should help you decide.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Get at least 2Gb of data, I used up 1.4Gb on my first month even with wifi whenever available, watched a few YouTube video here and there, apps download, BBM video, Dropbox and Box sync (didn't know it was set to sync over cellular network)

Posted via CB10 on my zed10

Global Posts
    2,405 Global Posts

I think 3GB should be the best compromise from the looks of it --> you *should* be safe. I have a 6GB data plan but not so good voice plan but i'm sticking with it because of the 6Gb...
    CrackBerry Master

1gb should be fine, coming from iphone 5
    Bold 9000 -> iPhone 5 -> White Z10
    Playbook 16GB
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Thank you very much everybody for your answers!

The truth is the 4Go plan is more expensive , but rather close to what I pay right now for the 3G Illimited, so I could go for it...It was not my first option, but it is still acceptable. The thing is I'm afraid that with the 4G the data transfer will be much heavier than now, I don't care much for the 4G, the 3G works very fine with me ( I agree with you Slashstarfish), but as far as I get it, since you get the 4G plan, you won't be able to turn it off (it's a 4G plan).
    Second issue is that I've read on this forum that some got from 1 to 2, 3, 4 Go of data use WITHIN DAYS. Wow, that's scary! Can anybody who'd been using the Z10 for a couple of weeks tell me what you've used so far?

You're somewhat reassuring me if you say that 4Go may be OK...

I haven't speoken to any salesperson yet, but the internet site offers me the option to keep my current plan (3G illimited), which would be not that bad, but I don't really get how it will be possible since this plan comprises some sort of a basis + some sort of BIS (it is actually BIS, but they call it differently), and since BB gave up the BIS for the Z10...Oh...I'm lost.